WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Idk, my first impressions are: The bezel with tubes is cool, and I like the idea of the manufacture movement and also the domed crystal. The pricing is fair as well. However I really like the bracelet and hands on this previous model (shown below) much better. The bracelet and hands in this newest pre-order "Heritage" gen. are already overused on other Ball models.

DSC_0179-2-e1445966367648.jpg

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I was really excited until I saw the size - 42mm. There's nothing really unique except the lumed bezel. I'm really disappointed in Ball that they're not producing some true 39mm to 40mm offerings, not just 40mm cases with 42mm bezels. Just look at Tudor and the new 58 - they're killing it with that one.

·
Registered
8,954 Posts
It looks very generic and ordinary--and its "pre-order" price seems more like it should be the original retail, with a much lower price for the pre-order--to me, I don't see how they could sell even one--like they're doing batting practice, but not actually using real balls, just swinging at thin air.

·
Premium Member
20,073 Posts
Funny that the price listed by @Calibro9 differs from what I can see from my desktop here in Australia. I have a EHC with the RR1102 and that would be the one I will go for if I order the watch and dump the bracelet for a rubber strap or NATO. The RR1102 is based on ETA and is very accurate so I have no qualms about owning a watch with it. Moreover, the 15.2mm height of the new calibre movement is just too much for me.

Ball_ENGRii.jpg

·
Registered
398 Posts
Funny that the price listed by @Calibro9 differs from what I can see from my desktop here in Australia. I have a EHC with the RR1102 and that would be the one I will go for if I order the watch and dump the bracelet for a rubber strap or NATO. The RR1102 is based on ETA and is very accurate so I have no qualms about owning a watch with it. Moreover, the 15.2mm height of the new calibre movement is just too much for me.

View attachment 13704619
If you look at the design of the watch, with the tall dome crystal, a good bit of the thickness is coming from that. So in reality, it may not seem that thick. Numbers can be misleading sometimes. If it had a flat crystal like the previous generation it would likely be a couple millimeters thinner on paper.

·
Premium Member
20,073 Posts
Whilst I might agree with you but I had second thoughts after looking at the side profile on the website and decided that this watch is not for me. I have a Tudor Black Bay and I really dislike the slab like thickness of the watch so I know I will not like this. Besides, it overlaps with my current collection of diver style watches. Problems these days with the pre-orders is that we buy these watches with photos and no chance to try it in store. It is a shame as I actually like Ball Watches but no choice - got to pass on this one as I can't buy what I already don't like. Nothing to stop others from buying it though as it actually looks good.

Ballwatch_Engrii_side.jpg

·
Registered
398 Posts
To me, this is the best Skindiver model yet. I owned the generation 1, and I loved it, but there were too many flaws to the design in the end. The separated day and date that chopped of the dial too much, the overly busy bezel. Plus I never really liked having super luminova on bezel and tritium on the dial. The mix of the two just seemed a little unconhesive.

With the generation 2 they cleaned everything up, but still had super luminova on the bezel, and to me the case everything looked a little flat with the crystal and the bezel. Plus it was too big.

With this new one, they've improved on almost everything. I'm loving the more pleasing curves with the crystal and the bezel, (plus it's tritium under sapphire!). The dial is super clean with the date at 3 and I love the gently curved sloped chapter ring. Overall it looks like the right mix of retro and modern. My one issue is that it's still too big. I'm trying to talk myself out of that though because I really do love the design.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Overall it looks like the right mix of retro and modern. My one issue is that it's still too big.
Precisely. I am really liking some of the designs, but hating the size, especially the thickness. When they come out with a true 40mm (including bezel) and 12mm thick, I'm doomed.

Reactions: DSE

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I really think this is one of their best new offerings. The last GMT wasn't bad, but what bothered me with it was that hydrocarbon crown guard which I hate.

42mm isn't small, but compared to something like the MM300 it's not that big. The chronometer grade and non-chronometer grade variant is 14.6mm tall, and I'm hoping that at least a millimeter of that is the domed sapphire, which puts it similar to the seamaster pro.

I'm going to give this one some serious thought. It all depends on what my bonus is, and if I can move some of the pieces that just aren't seeing any action. I'm glad I skipped the roadmaster presale, as I like this one much more.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I really think this is one of their best new offerings. The last GMT wasn't bad, but what bothered me with it was that hydrocarbon crown guard which I hate.

42mm isn't small, but compared to something like the MM300 it's not that big. The chronometer grade and non-chronometer grade variant is 14.6mm tall, and I'm hoping that at least a millimeter of that is the domed sapphire, which puts it similar to the seamaster pro.

I'm going to give this one some serious thought. It all depends on what my bonus is, and if I can move some of the pieces that just aren't seeing any action. I'm glad I skipped the roadmaster presale, as I like this one much more.
Yes, I'm thinking that the domed crystal definitely adds a millimeter or two to the thickness. So it shouldn't seem overly thick in person. And it doesn't appear to have slab sides like a Pelagos for instance, which should help visually.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Overall it looks like the right mix of retro and modern. My one issue is that it's still too big.
Precisely. I am really liking some of the designs, but hating the size, especially the thickness. When they come out with a true 40mm (including bezel) and 12mm thick, I'm doomed.
I agree totally, although I'm trying to talk myself into thinking I can handle this size.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Looked at this when it was announced, and the full PVD is nice, but the Gen2 is still the best IMHO..

F8E604D2-AB68-4BF9-AC64-948BE826C016.jpeg

·
Premium Member
20,073 Posts
Looked at this when it was announced, and the full PVD is nice, but the Gen2 is still the best IMHO..
I really like the hands of the new one and how it looks face on. I am so conflicted as I was sure I was going to buy it and then saw the side profile which may me think twice. I think I might just hang around and mull over it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I really like the hands of the new one and how it looks face on. I am so conflicted as I was sure I was going to buy it and then saw the side profile which may me think twice. I think I might just hang around and mull over it.
What is it about the side profile that you didn't like? To me that is the best looking view of it.

·
Premium Member
20,073 Posts
What is it about the side profile that you didn't like? To me that is the best looking view of it.
Hi paintingtiger, I actually liked the watch when I first saw it on pre-order but when I saw the side profile, I could not:
(a) accept that it's going to sit taller than my Tudor Black Bay and my Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon, and
(b) from the side profile, you can see that it narrows just below the bezel giving it a T-shaped profile sitting on top of the case looking disjointed.
I was still mulling over it and feel conflicted but could not connect with this watch. Nothing to stop you fellas from buying it if it's your cup of tea but I would probably stop commenting on this thread as I don't want to sound like I was discouraging others from buying. Enjoy your watch.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hi paintingtiger, I actually liked the watch when I first saw it on pre-order but when I saw the side profile, I could not:
(a) accept that it's going to sit taller than my Tudor Black Bay and my Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon, and
(b) from the side profile, you can see that it narrows just below the bezel giving it a T-shaped profile sitting on top of the case looking disjointed.
I was still mulling over it and feel conflicted but could not connect with this watch. Nothing to stop you fellas from buying it if it's your cup of tea but I would probably stop commenting on this thread as I don't want to sound like I was discouraging others from buying. Enjoy your watch.
Hi Dogbert, I am currently mulling it over myself. Trying to decide if I can pull off the size. I was just curious as to what about the side angle made you have second thoughts. Thanks for explaining. One thing to consider, with the Black Bay the case sides are one flat slab from top to bottom with nothing to break it up visually. With this new Skindiver, the profile is broken up from the bezel to the neck then a relatively thin case band. So it should not look quite so thick in person. Thick slab-sided watches tend to really show their thickness.

Your comments are not discouraging. I appreciate hearing different perspectives on this watch as I try to decide.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts