WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Can anyone make any suggestions for watches I should try on to kinda get an idea of how this Skindiver might wear? There are an array of watch ad's near me with almost all popular watch brands(no Ball unfortunately). I already tried on an Omega Planet Ocean gmt, a Tudor Pelagos, a Tag Autavia, a Ulysse Nardin Le Locle Diver and a couple 42mm Panerais. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
was really looking forward to this one but the size and price put me off, a bit pricey to take a gamble on a preorder :eek:(

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Can anyone make any suggestions for watches I should try on to kinda get an idea of how this Skindiver might wear? There are an array of watch ad's near me with almost all popular watch brands(no Ball unfortunately). I already tried on an Omega Planet Ocean gmt, a Tudor Pelagos, a Tag Autavia, a Ulysse Nardin Le Locle Diver and a couple 42mm Panerais. Thanks in advance.
If you can handle the Planet Ocean, this one will be no problem.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If you can handle the Planet Ocean, this one will be no problem.
I think you may be right. I thought it was a 42mm at first, but after looking it up I think it was 43.5. Do they even make the Planet Ocean GMT in 42? Anyway it fit my wrist pretty good but was a little thick.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I think you may be right. I thought it was a 42mm at first, but after looking it up I think it was 43.5. Do they even make the Planet Ocean GMT in 42? Anyway it fit my wrist pretty good but was a little thick.
What is the reference number? Does it start with 232.30.44? If so, it is the 43.5mm. Omega's 3rd set of digits is the case diameter for the recent generations of watches. I am not aware of a PO GMT in 42mm unless there was one available in the 1st gen of POs that I haven't heard of.

One more point. The case shape looks a good bit like a smaller (42mm instead of 45mm) version of the Seiko Sumo only without the twisted lugs and asymmetric crown.

·
Registered
436 Posts
What is the reference number? Does it start with 232.30.44? If so, it is the 43.5mm. Omega's 3rd set of digits is the case diameter for the recent generations of watches. I am not aware of a PO GMT in 42mm unless there was one available in the 1st gen of POs that I haven't heard of.

One more point. The case shape looks a good bit like a smaller (42mm instead of 45mm) version of the Seiko Sumo only without the twisted lugs and asymmetric crown.
Not sure about the reference number. I'll have to go back and check.
Good points on the Sumo comparison. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
I am glad I go for the Ball Railmaster Challenger 18 pre order offer. Much attractive(lower) prices with same in house movement, COSC and better size of 40mm.

This skin diver pre order offer is not that attractive.

·
Registered
181 Posts
they look like they are going for too close of a sub look, they should try to be a little more original and not just copy existing ideas, maybe a textured dial or different bezel, just something to make it a Ball vs just another diver......

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's a beautiful watch. A domed sapphire bezel really sets everything up on top off nicely and that side profile has detail and contours. I like it

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Their design department is probably like the lego table at a pre-school. Everyone is welcome to sit down and mix and match pieces until they find something that looks like they can sell it for ”50% off".

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Their design department is probably like the lego table at a pre-school. Everyone is welcome to sit down and mix and match pieces until they find something that looks like they can sell it for ”50% off".
Mr. Potato Head comes to mind as well.

Play

·
Registered
436 Posts
I agree that there design department needs to get a a better focus, and slow down on the mixing and matching. But with this design, they did something special imo.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I am glad I go for the Ball Railmaster Challenger 18 pre order offer. Much attractive(lower) prices with same in house movement, COSC and better size of 40mm.

This skin diver pre order offer is not that attractive.
That sapphire tritium illuminated bezel and big domed crystal though. The new engineer, challenger, and skindiver are their best watches in years, IMHO.

Reactions: GT247

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I quite like the design, the shape of the hands, the counterbalance, and the fully lumed bezel. But I think it is a touch too thick; maybe not as slab-sided given the contours of the finishing along the side profile of the case, but I think 15mm is too tall for my wrist and I suspect many others too.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I quite like the design, the shape of the hands, the counterbalance, and the fully lumed bezel. But I think it is a touch too thick; maybe not as slab-sided given the contours of the finishing along the side profile of the case, but I think 15mm is too tall for my wrist and I suspect many others too.
But don't forget some of that height is from the big domed crystal. So it should appear less thick in reality. If they had gone with a flat crystal, I suspect the height would be around 14mm. I am glad they went with the dome though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I kind of feel like saying that if people can engineer a bezel that's got domed sapphire that rotates and clicks sharply and precisely and houses glass tubes that are filled with a gas that I doesn't shatter the tubes during the rotations and is far thinner than what Ball engineers could figure out then Ball pretty much would probably want to interview those people or at least review any drawings and designs they could produce. I presume the dimensions of this watch are realities in part because of physics.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Maybe those who are unhappy with this watch's compatibility to be worn at the office with their dress shirts and suits, those who are unhappy with the size and weight of a tool watch - even this moderate 42mm size, those who perceive this watch will be burdensome to wear during their daily activities, should remember exactly what this watch is. It is a tool watch diver. Just my 2 cents fwiw.

·
Registered
313 Posts
It's not a bad looking watch but a bit too generic for me.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
If they made the prior version in 40mm with no date, they'd sell like crazy. That was a really cool design, aside from the crooked date.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
If they made the prior version in 40mm with no date, they'd sell like crazy. That was a really cool design, aside from the crooked date.
Agreed. Or, offer a date and a no date and ditch the weird day cutout. When I saw the pre-order e-mail, I thought it would be closer to this than what they did.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts