WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ball confirmed with me that the lug to lug is 53mm....Kind of overkill :(
Okay, that definitely kills it for me. Out of interest, did they mention whether the bezel itself is wider than 42mm? I can't tell for sure from the pictures. The AeroGMT ii for example is listed as 42mm but the bezel adds another 2mm.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Ball confirmed with me that the lug to lug is 53mm....Kind of overkill :(
Wow! That's long. I pre-ordered the Roadmaster and cancelled when I discovered it was a 40mm case, but 42.5+ bezel. They kindly refunded - good CS there. However, I did suggest to the lady, and also in a follow-up e-mail, that Ball start posting all the dimensions of these pre-orders - not just case size but bezel diameter, L-to-L, etc. I guess they're just not interested in disclosing that information.

I have sold a couple watches recently, and really wanted to purchase a Ball. But these new offerings are just irritating me - soooooo close. IMHO, they need to fire whomever is in charge of design and hire somebody this is in tune with the market or else this company won't be around for long.

Instead, I just purchased a beater TSAR for now.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Trends indicate that the market is heading towards more watches of larger case diameter.

Not that there won't be watches in the smaller sizes, 38mm or so.

Hope you find a Ball that suits you. They have a titanium Trainmaster that I believe is around 38mm diameter. It's most likely not a current model, but can be found second hand.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Trends indicate that the market is heading towards more watches of larger case diameter.
I think you mean smaller case diameter. A few years ago, with the introduction of Invicta (not sure if they started it, but they sure seemed to perfect it), case sizes creeped up. However, recently, it seems as if the market is starting to correct and downsize a bit - just look at the Black Bay 58.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Ball titanium 38 (really like the way it looks), but that's a bit too small. Before popping on the Ball, I ordered a cheap Seiko with the same dimensions (38mm), and I found it to be a tad small. 40mm to 41mm seems to be my sweet spot.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I think you mean smaller case diameter. A few years ago, with the introduction of Invicta (not sure if they started it, but they sure seemed to perfect it), case sizes crept up. However, recently, it seems as if the market is starting to correct and downsize a bit - just look at the Black Bay 58.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Ball titanium 38 (really like the way it looks), but that's a bit too small. Before popping on the Ball, I ordered a cheap Seiko with the same dimensions (38mm), and I found it to be a tad small. 40mm to 41mm seems to be my sweet spot.

Reactions: KiwiWomble

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
No, I meant what I typed, larger case diameter is the current trend. Reviews from Hodinkee, A Blog to Watch, Monochrome, and others bears this out.

It is likely that the pendulum will swing back the other way, so to speak.

Invicta and BRM have ungodly case sizes, but they are outliers.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
No, I meant what I typed, larger case diameter is the current trend. Reviews from Hodinkee, A Blog to Watch, Monochrome, and others bears this out.

It is likely that the pendulum will swing back the other way, so to speak.

Invicta and BRM have ungodly case sizes, but they are outliers.
would you mind posting those? everything ive seen suggested things we getting smaller again, 5years ago everything was huge but thought the trend was definitely going small again

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
weirdly that seems to ignore the fact big watches have been popular for a number of years...

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Ok, it appears that you are correct. One of the Hodinkee articles I had read recently was from mid 2017, a lot can happen in 18 months.

It is a shame though, from my perspective.

Also, I would not call it a correction, just a swinging of the pendulum back toward the other direction. There is not a correct watch size.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Question was aimed at Larkja. He indicated that he would like a Ball watch in the 40ish mm range.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Question was aimed at Larkja. He indicated that he would like a Ball watch in the 40ish mm range.
Yes. I prefer divers since I use bezels a lot. I have one casual/dress watch (Hanhart Preventor 9).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Maybe those who are unhappy with this watch's compatibility to be worn at the office with their dress shirts and suits, those who are unhappy with the size and weight of a tool watch - even this moderate 42mm size, those who perceive this watch will be burdensome to wear during their daily activities, should remember exactly what this watch is. It is a tool watch diver. Just my 2 cents fwiw.
This. The tall bezel is there for a reason: to get a grip on it with gloves (just like the previous version). Any of the supposed dive watches that use a dainty coin-edge bezel are a pain to manipulate when you are wearing thick gloves, especially in cooler water. Almost makes me want to pick up yet another - just for diving.

P.S. For some useless trivia, the bracelet on this is the same as the one they used on the upcoming Roadmaster Challenger 18. Looking forward to that one as well.

https://www.facebook.com/BALLWatchCompany/videos/266818953995521/

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
P.S. For some useless trivia, the bracelet on this is the same as the one they used on the upcoming Roadmaster Challenger 18. Looking forward to that one as well.

https://www.facebook.com/BALLWatchCompany/videos/266818953995521/
I had been wanting to see the detail of the clasp. Thanks.

Also, I had one in my cart yesterday and started checkout only to reverse course when reminded of the 6 month wait. My last pre-order Ball watch shipped on the final day possible and I'm not sure I want to pay in full now to receive a watch in July that leaves Switzerland on June 30. Come on Ball, how about a reasonable pre-order deposit between 15% & 33%? LUM-TEC does it; Doxa does it. Get with the program, please.;-)

41 - 57 of 57 Posts