WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bad news for the tube guys. We don't have enough room in the case for tubes. They will probably appear first in the new small steel LM-2.

Mitch
Is there a steel LM-2 in the works? and it will be a bit smaller? This is very exciting. When I tried on the LM-2 at the gtg, the lugs hung over my wrist lol. Ti also feels too light for me, this sounds like its going to be a great watch!

I dont know if I'd do tubes on this though. Tubes seem like a Mil thing where the LM2 already has establsihed itself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Smaller steel LM-2 would be great. I would love to have LM-2, but it just is too big for my 6,5" wrists. Steel would be great, I'm not too fond of titanium.

I have been waiting for LM-6, but this would be even better for me. Bad thing is, that even if there are some plans for this, it would probably be months of more waiting.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Smaller steel LM-2 would be great. I would love to have LM-2, but it just is too big for my 6,5" wrists. Steel would be great, I'm not too fond of titanium.

I have been waiting for LM-6, but this would be even better for me. Bad thing is, that even if there are some plans for this, it would probably be months of more waiting.

I believe Mitch is looking at about 90 days or so for the Steel LM-2:-!

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Ooo, sounds like another nice one. I have regretted selling my LM-2 but it seemed slightly too large and too light for the size. Now I'm so used to wearing huge watches that it wouldn't bother me as much and I've contemplated picking up a second one. But with this bit of news I'm even more excited about it...not too small though please! 42-43mm would be just right and help keep the piece on the heavier side. A lot of folks like a bit of weight in a watch, me included. :)

Will it still have 24mm lugs?

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Here are a few details:

41mm diameter with 20mm lug spacing (sorry, we just can't do 24 on this)

12mm thick - if we make it too thin, I think it will lose its OCEAN7 character.

internal bi-directional brass rotating bezel with steel gear

Non-screw down crowns, 10atm WR

We've had so many requests for a smaller watch that still has some heft, that I couldn't resist. Cases were ordered while I was on the trip. They will be made by the same factory that makes the LM-2 cases. The cases are 316 stainless. The finish will be brushed with polished sides, similar to the Sub.

We will probably offer a tube dial in addition to the lume dial. The cases should be ready in 90 days, but that probably means 120 days.

Mitch

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
i'm a little surprised that several people have said that the lm-2 is too light. sure, it's lighter than SS but the watch head itself still has a little bit of heft. if you pair it to the Ti bracelet, imo it's not too light nor too heavy.

Ooo, sounds like another nice one. I have regretted selling my LM-2 but it seemed slightly too large and too light for the size. Now I'm so used to wearing huge watches that it wouldn't bother me as much and I've contemplated picking up a second one. But with this bit of news I'm even more excited about it...not too small though please! 42-43mm would be just right and help keep the piece on the heavier side. A lot of folks like a bit of weight in a watch, me included. :)

Will it still have 24mm lugs?

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
i'm a little surprised that several people have said that the lm-2 is too light. sure, it's lighter than SS but the watch head itself still has a little bit of heft. if you pair it to the Ti bracelet, imo it's not too light nor too heavy.
I've had comments that the LM-2 is too big, and the LM-3 is too heavy, but never that the LM-2 is too light. To each his own. This is another alternative.

My wife tried on a sample case that happens to be the same size, and she said that she will wear it. I suggested a black MOP dial option. I'm not sure how well that would sell. This would probably make a good big watch for women, too. The rotating bezel is not flat, so it cannot be made in MOP.

To get a general idea of what it will look like, check out the Aquatimer 1812. It will be thicker though, with a sloped bezel.

Mitch

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Well, it is a surprise to heft a watch of that size and have it feel so light. If the smaller one was made in ti it would be like a feather so I was just thinking that in steel it would be more substantial.

Tubes would be really cool. I think I'd prefer to see this watch bead blasted though rather than have any part of it polished.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
This is a classic-looking compressor-cased watch (or maybe not - is it a screw back Mitch?) which I don't think would look 'right' with tubes. I think it'll be a great large watch for women and a great medium-sized diver for men. Not sure how a MOP dial would look with a painted bezel, would have to see that one.

IMO, tubes are almost mandatory to try out on an LM-6 or American cased variant b-) The question on these big watches then would be if the hands are going to be too heavy :think:

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
The case does use a screw back.

It is important to make sure the movement can handle the extra weight of the tubes. This is an issue with quartz movements.

Mitch

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
...My wife tried on a sample case that happens to be the same size, and she said that she will wear it. I suggested a black MOP dial option. I'm not sure how well that would sell. This would probably make a good big watch for women, too....
Nice, finally a Ocean7 in woman's size. I was at a business dinner and all the ladies loved my LM-2 on Ti bracelet. They were asking if there was a smaller version, now I can let them know. MOP sounds like a great idea :-!

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Funny that we're discussing a 41mm watch as a ladies watch!

I spent about four hours yesterday restoring an IDF Eterna Kontiki, which is roughly the same size as the steel LM-2, except maybe a couple mm thinner. It was disassembled and cleaned about one year ago, but I never got around to putting it back together. This is the first 1489K movement that I've worked on and I was concerned that I would have trouble putting it back together because I don't have any drawings or technical information, but after about three hours of work, the watch is now in perfect mechanical condition, although the case certainly shows some history. I decided not to polish or restore the case in any way, I just gave it an ultrasonic cleaning.

The motivation to finish this project was to have something to wear that's around the same size as the steel LM-2 case. After wearing it for the rest of the day yesterday, honestly, I prefer the LM-2/LM-3/LM-6 combo for every day use, but a smaller watch definitely has its place in the rotation, and I do believe that some women will wear a steel LM-2.

I'm not sure about the MOP dial. We'll see. It seems that gold pvd is getting very popular. I don't want that for myself, but if it will sell, we can do it as an option. I doubt that will happen though.

A new pvd color called coffee, is supposed to popular for next year. I saw some chrono cases plated in this color. It looked nice, but at this point I don't see a place for it.

Mitch

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I really am enthusiastic about a smaller LM-2 in steel, particularly with tubes. I love my GSAR, but it's too tall and the dial is too busy for regular wear on my part. I would love an auto with tubes and your usual austere dial treatment. A steel PVD version with PVD bracelet would be great down the road if you haven't already planned it.

Mitch, please try not to bring it in too close to the PVD LM-2 12 hour GMT. You'll drive me crazy. BTw, money is ready and waiting for the PVD 12 hour. Will you take payments in advance from those of us who are ready?

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
The design will not be similar to the LM-2.

We will start taking orders for the GMTs as soon as the watches are shipped to us. Since the cases and dials are probably ready by now, late January is realistic.

Mitch

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Nalu: Not sure about your comment as to screw back and tubes(I assume Tritium). My GSAR has that and is one fine watch.

Not sure of all your various lady friends but mines sees my Breitling Colt as a bit big at 36mm case and 38mm at crown. Could get her to wear it but she does not want to mess the watch up. I felt it need wrist time so this is a work in progress. But 41mm? Not any women I know.

paul:-s

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
A compressor case is a style of watch case which uses a snap back and an internal bezel, but is waterproof (i.e. a dive watch). It hasn't been used for a while, but was very popular in the 60s. The IWC 1812 is one such watch and this new LM takes after it. I like the classic look of these watches and don't think the O7 version would look good with H3 tubes, YMMV.

You'd be surprised as to size. Men's divers on women are very a la mode just now. Somewhere, there's a whole web site filled with photos of women wearing men's watches b-)

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Love all 3 of those watches Colin. The Aquatimer is gorgeous and I LOVE the hands and main dial of the hi-fi-matic. I really like the Fortis Marinemaster. Can you tell me anything about the bracelet? It would be killer on any vintage diver.

·
Registered
463 Posts
This watch may appeal to a wider variety of people than the hard core diver customer. I recently picked up a G-2 just to see what kind of weight this case configuration and bracelet would come in at. Much to heavy for me to wear comfortably for more than a few hours and I could not find a long sleeve shirt I could button with it on. My wrist is 7 /34 so case diameter was not an issue. There are many very popular dive watches along the lines of this smaller size the Colt, Superocean and Seamaster come to mind.

I look forward to picking one of these up when they are introduced.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Picked up the bracelet from a mate in the UK who had a pile of these vintage-style ones. I agree, they look great on vintage divers. I'll post more pics when I can - maybe we can talk Mitch into doing something like this?

I also like these watches. Sadly, the 1812 isn't mine but I'm looking!

And who wouldn't love a watch called the "Hi-fi Matic"? Gotta have one to go with the orange '72 Nova with the 8 track player :-d

1 - 20 of 20 Posts