WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Would you like WUS to add more smilies, different ones?

• Sure!

Votes: 23 67.6%
  • No

Votes: 11 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, first off this is not relating to the closed thread regarding the :-x smiley. I just wanted to start a poll and kindly ask Ernie and the mod team (who rocks BTW) that i am not alone in asking for a larger or different set of smilies.

I just finished my 1 year anniversary with WUS, and am loving it. Plan on having many more years to come. :-!

I use smilies frequently, and think they are a fun way to show emotions, and spice up my reply. :)

Can you guys please add different ones, and more of them? I dont think its a hefty task to get more smilies, and the ones you can add should be appropriate and fun. Im not asking for "evil" smilies or ones that mean "shut up" or anything. Its jsut weve had these for a while, and could use a change up.

I attached a poll to see if folks other than myself would like more of them. :-!

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Yes!
More smileys!

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Yes please! |>

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
With respect, this issue has been discussed a number of times. The general feeling on the Moderator panel is that what really attracts people to WUS is the quality of the posts, the excellent photography, and the helpful information given to new collectors.
Smilies are OK, but will having a lot more really do much to improve the things that we feel are essential?

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
I would vote NO as well, since having more smileys and emoticons encourages people to use those instead of typing out posts. We'll end up with a bunch of posts like:

:-! great timepiece!
:) nice pickup!
b-) looking sharp!

All of which serve to raise postcounts but contribute absolutely no knowledge to this forum, and the knowledgebase is what people find the most useful.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I would love to see some more smileys!

I've been lurking on candlepowerforums and they have the biggest selection of smileys ever! Yet, even with all of the smileys, I haven't seen andy problems with people posting one word responses.

So a big YES to smiles from me.

·
Registered
6,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
funny, the only folks saying no to smilies are mods. :roll:

i dont think too many people here post to raise their post count, i dont care about how many posts i tack up. i just think theyre fun.

I wonder what Ernie thinks about this....can a mod ask him?

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
I like emoticons. When used effectively--as a tool to clarify the tone of the post--they enhance communication. But in my experience, too many have the opposite effect. People rely on the emoticons to get their point across instead of the content of their post. I'm a freelance writer so perhaps I'm biased, but I much prefer actual words to little yellow things rolling around the page. I think when too many emoticons are used, the quality of the posts suffer. In fact, I have witnessed this. In another forum I used to frequent, we had dozens of emoticons to choose from. Whole threads were literally post after post of inane smilies. Frankly, I got tired of wading through them. I no longer post there. Not entirely because of the smilies, but that certainly didn't help. I'm a member there, not a mod, so that really doesn't affect my opinion.

Jeannie

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I like them, but as with anything else, in moderation. People that overuse them probably don't have much more to contribute anyway, so that's not really an issue. And hey, if you don't like them, then don't use them.

D

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
funny, the only folks saying no to smilies are mods. :roll:

i dont think too many people here post to raise their post count, i dont care about how many posts i tack up. i just think theyre fun.

I wonder what Ernie thinks about this....can a mod ask him?
:think:.. Funny how that is... :roll:
Sure, WUS is a good place for info, but there are other things that happen here other than just knowlegde tid-bits being tossed around. How much knowledge do we gain from the "WRUW" or the "Look What I Just Got" threads? Suppose we might not need them seeing how they are the ones already eliciting the :
:-! great timepiece!
:) nice pickup!
b-) looking sharp!
And what about the places that are for off-topic, like the Cafe... does that need to be on the more knowledgable side, too? :-s
Smiley's are a way to express emotion or feeling when you can't be face to face with someone and I, for one, think we need more. |> People come here to have fun and relax... b-)
How is my smiley count? A bit overboard?? :roll:

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Yeah! More smilies!!!

·
Premium Member
20,651 Posts
Ray and the other mods have answered your question in good manner, so there is no need to call for me to interfere. For the record, it is not likely we will add more smileys, nor that we will replace the current ones any time soon.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
You can find them all over the Web. Just paste them in here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.