WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 368 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Wow...well, please add this to the long list of watches I would love to own but could not afford! :)

The MR-G line has lately been pushing the whole individual craftsmanship / expert finishing thing, so maybe it will be tsuiki, tsuchime, or maybe made of mokume-gane. Each watch hand-made by an artisinal artisan...

Or perhaps they’ll just go the “we made it out of precious metals and jewels route” ;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Wow...well, please add this to the long list of watches I would love to own but could not afford! :)

The MR-G line has lately been pushing the whole individual craftsmanship / expert finishing thing, so maybe it will be tsuiki, tsuchime, or maybe made of mokume-gane. Each watch hand-made by an artisinal artisan...

Or perhaps they'll just go the "we made it out of precious metals and jewels route" ;)
Don't these retail for a fair bit higher than the mooted $3,000 price point? The current Shougeki-Maru retails for about $8,000. It's certainly sounds an interesting product and already has us talking - which I figure is half the battle won.

Ultimately if they make it a numbered limited edition then I don't think they'll struggle to sell them.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't these retail for a fair bit higher than the mooted $3,000 price point? The current Shougeki-Maru retails for about $8,000. It's certainly sounds an interesting product and already has us talking - which I figure is half the battle won.

Ultimately if they make it a numbered limited edition then I don't think they'll struggle to sell them.
Yep, I'm more prone to think that this square will be "maxed out" in terms of finishing but, since it will "only" be 3K, as you pointed out, not a "hand built" MR-G as the Gassan or the Shougeki.

That said, assuming this watch is real, since no photo are available (nor they'll be for pretty long if it's an Anniversary model), nothing stops us to imagine
so...
What you guys would like to see with this extremely high end (and pricey) square?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd like to see, at this price point:

-solid full metal (titanium) square as the old MR-G 110: no bezel&case...just case!
-OR: full carbon structure and bracelet, it may be forged carbon for exhample.
-more sharp case edges pretty much as the ones on the Royal Oak or the new Tissot PRX.
-sapphire crystal for sure.
-flat bracelet links.
😅😂

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
looks like an old classy MR.G to me
fake news !!!

·
Registered
Rolex Submariner | Oris | Seiko Prospex Presage | Casio G-Shock
166 Posts
Was never to crazy about this model, especially at that price, even if you fancy it up.

·
Registered
294 Posts

I've said in a different thread, but would love this square to come out with a titanium finish like the MR-G bezel with recrystallised titanium, positive display, I'd be on it even if it's double the price of the normal titanium one. Full forged carbon would be fun, like the Zenith Defy full carbon case and bracelet etc.

Just wish there was even a small indication as to when this could even come out

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
View attachment 15830665

I've said in a different thread, but would love this square to come out with a titanium finish like the MR-G bezel with recrystallised titanium, positive display, I'd be on it even if it's double the price of the normal titanium one. Full forged carbon would be fun, like the Zenith Defy full carbon case and bracelet etc.

Just wish there was even a small indication as to when this could even come out
Is that titanium? Whoa! Really looked like forged carbon to me! Thx!

·
Premium Member
8,516 Posts
Interesting. They're releasing that multicolored mirror finished ip in a new Ti alloy and then they're going to ramp it up further by....putting MRG on the dial? Very curious.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Regarding 1) the (probably) very long wait before this is out, and 2) seeding juuuuust enough details to get G-Shock fans salivating...

I think it's a deliberate attempt by Casio to give us proles awhile to start $aving up. Considering a Venn diagram of A) folks who have $3k to drop on a watch any day of the week without a second thought, and B) average, even ardent, G-Shock fans, I personally doubt there's too much overlap. If this thing just dropped out of the sky next month, most of us would have to save for quite awhile to afford one. In that time, there's a good chance quite a few initially impressed by whatever the final specs actually are would say, "You know what, my $500 GMW-B5000 actually ticks all the boxes. No thanks, Casio." as the FOMO quotient dropped to zero.

Honestly, it seems like a good marketing strategy to me if my assumptions are anywhere close to what Casio's market research shows. A big initial sales rush, followed by artificial scarcity, is the key to success for Casio regarding the gamble that is a $3k digital watch. The highest price MR-Gs right now are also the ones that see the steepest hit on resale value. They're fantastic watches, owned a couple that had MSRPs over $2k myself, but they just don't hold their value compared to high end Omega, Tudor, Rolex, etc. Unless this one is a super limited (and numbered) release, I bet their will be more than a few "nearly new" examples on eBay for far less than MRSP in the first six months after release.

Who knows though... With hardly any details released, this already seems like it will be the undeniable apex of "dumb" (i.e. non-smart) digital watches. Meanwhile, analog solar/MB6/Bluetooth MR-Gs with MSRPs over $2k (despite being IMHO undeniably and objectively better than ANY mechanical could ever be) seem to consistently be relegated to "ah, that's cute, but it's not a real watch" status among the watch luxuriati who don't even blink at $3k price tags.

Just my $0.02, but looking forward to more info.

1 - 20 of 368 Posts