WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
221 - 240 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
With the PB out and TVA imminent this seems to be next metal square on the horizon. Anyone heard anything new about this?

The black version looks pretty much like the Porter but with in titanium and better finished. What I'm curious to know is if it'll be a limited run or regular production piece.

The silver looks an even tougher sell as it looks identical to the regular silver square (with a red display ring granted)

I'm still not quite sure about these, I'd have expected the first MRG metal squares (at $4K ish) to be a bit more...spectacular?

·
Registered
563 Posts
With the PB out and TVA imminent this seems to be next metal square on the horizon. Anyone heard anything new about this?
The only new info I have is that the module is 3501, which is a new designation with no info.

How much does it differ from 3459/3461 ... ? We will have to wait and see.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Earlier in this thread somebody said that news about this model is embargoed until late October... maybe 23th. That explains the calm before the storm. If it is in fact a November release, Casio plans to blow up the internet with it.

I hope its a regular production model. I took a solemn oath not to buy any watches this year... bought 1... sold 3... I don't want to slip again, but a square titanium MR-G would be awfully hard to resist.

The part that worries me about the watch is thickness, early pictures suggested an extremely stocky, 18mm tall frame.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Earlier in this thread somebody said that news about this model is embargoed until late October... maybe 23th. That explains the calm before the storm. If it is in fact a November release, Casio plans to blow up the internet with it.

I hope its a regular production model. I took a solemn oath not to buy any watches this year... bought 1... sold 3... I don't want to slip again, but a square titanium MR-G would be awfully hard to resist.

The part that worries me about the watch is thickness, early pictures suggested an extremely stocky, 18mm tall frame.
Actually the thickness of this beefy boi is something I'm really happy about! It's really too much for me so I will not have to worry about spending any money on these no matter how cool they end up looking like hahaha

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Actually the thickness of this beefy boi is something I'm really happy about! It's really too much for me so I will not have to worry about spending any money on these no matter how cool they end up looking like hahaha
That's your wallet talking, not you :)

·
Registered
218 Posts
The only new info I have is that the module is 3501, which is a new designation with no info.

How much does it differ from 3459/3461 ... ? We will have to wait and see.
That's actually great news!
I have a titanium square and if the MR-G square would have the same module as the GW-B, I would not consider paying just for the (no doubt astonishingly beautiful) case and bracelet.

With a new module....hmmm... let's see what it will have.

·
Registered
45 Posts
That's your wallet talking, not you :)
Well honestly, one of the reasons I like the squares so much is that because they keep things simple. They get the job done first and foremost, and then the aesthetics come second. Conversely, I feel like MRG's are in someway the complete opposite of that, and that they are designed more complex than they really need to be for the sake of complexity and aesthetics of course.

Im more of a utilitarian type of person so I don't think that I am the target audience for MRG's philosophy. That being said, yes, my wallet is feeling extremely elated and this also a contributing factor.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If Casio indeed decides to sell a Ti square with a regular LCD module for 4k$, we'll have to redefine the offense of "fraudulent abuse of weakness"

Think about all the poor square addicts on this forum alone 😆

·
Registered
188 Posts
Buying any Casio that retails for more than $150 is a completely irrational decision and a waste of money. I know this well, having bought several MT-Gs and Ti squares. But I've never been able to bring myself to pop for an MR-G. I don't see that changing with these offerings. They are just squares, and don't offer the palette for creative and artistic embellishment that other case shapes do.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Buying any Casio that retails for more than $150 is a completely irrational decision and a waste of money
It's the usual "overkill" argument, but as I've stated before some people argue than anything beyond a 10$ FW91 is already irrational and a waste of money (robust, gives a precise time, alarm, etc.)

Now in terms of "value for money" I consider my MRG-B2000R-1ADR to be a much MUCH better deal than most mechanical swiss watches.

It's subjective of course (based on functionality, design, finishing, exclusivity/originality, personal tastes etc.), it's just my evaluation.

Watch Analog watch Plant Gesture Clock

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
My two cents: this watch intrigues me but I'm not buying it right now for sure, maybe in the future; meanwhile, I'm trying to decide whether to buy the TVA or not...really keen on but let's see, I'm not that convinced as with TCM or RD.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Buying any Casio that retails for more than $150 is a completely irrational decision and a waste of money. I know this well, having bought several MT-Gs and Ti squares. But I've never been able to bring myself to pop for an MR-G. I don't see that changing with these offerings. They are just squares, and don't offer the palette for creative and artistic embellishment that other case shapes do.
Respectfully disagree. I had an MR-G and I felt it was worth the money.

Such generalizations won't get anyone far. My dad remembers a time when "Japan made" was an insult and not worth paying for. I remember a time when people said the same about "Korean made". Look at them now. I sense a similar vibe about your Casio remark.

·
Registered
9,317 Posts
Ohhhh, boy. Let the fireworks begin. 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Such an opinion is a non-starter in a place like this, IMO. If you just want to talk about what is practical ONLY, then....why do any of us have watches when we carry phones that have the time? :unsure:

Pretty much everyone's opinion of what is a "waste of money" is different. This is not an objective issue, but subjective. As such there is no "right" answer. Only what's right for you.

As for me, I will continue to enjoy all my Gs, including this pricey ICERC Frog (that I do NOT consider a waste of money..). ;)

Watch Analog watch Azure Clock Font

·
Registered
113 Posts
Opinions are like arseholes....

·
Premium Member
8,449 Posts
They are just squares, and don't offer the palette for creative and artistic embellishment that other case shapes do.
Actually, in a way I kind of agree with this part of your post. The current square cases and bezels have fairly rounded cases/bezels and lack the beautiful angles and transitions you find on MTG and MRG cases. My guess is that is what will change and this rumored myltipart bezel seems to support that.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Buying any Casio that retails for more than $150 is a completely irrational decision and a waste of money ... But I've never been able to bring myself to pop for an MR-G.
Can you spot the flaw in your editorial?

HINT: your opinion is based on your ignorance of never having owned one

Because I gotta be honest, before I tried sushi, it seemed like a completely irrational decision and a waste of money too

·
Registered
Casio G-Shock DW-5600MS (on DW-5600E bezel and GW-5000 band)
2,341 Posts
According to G-Central's update, it'll be made with TranTixii. Hopefully this one has DLC.

221 - 240 of 301 Posts