WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
241 - 260 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
There is a lot of confusion about coatings and plating processes. Casio don't really help to clear it up because many ADs and reps are just reading from spec sheets, which are not always correct.

Now there is TranTixii which is a brand name rather than a technical description, so it only adds more confusion. The company who own this brand name can do any process they like and say "this finish is TranTixii".

I don't know what is the solution, however if you are spending $1600 then I think you deserve to know exactly what you are getting. It should be so unambiguous that there is no necessity for forum discussion.

·
Registered
142 Posts
There is a lot of confusion about coatings and plating processes. Casio don't really help to clear it up because many ADs and reps are just reading from spec sheets, which are not always correct.

Now there is TranTixii which is a brand name rather than a technical description, so it only adds more confusion. The company who own this brand name can do any process they like and say "this finish is TranTixii".

I don't know what is the solution, however if you are spending $1600 then I think you deserve to know exactly what you are getting. It should be so unambiguous that there is no necessity for forum discussion.
We do have to be fair here and remember we're speaking about an unannounced product (in the Western markets at least). I'd expect a fair bit more clarity once the watch is announced and we don't have to rely on translations.

These discussions will always happen when you have a community passionate about the product. It in fact helps as the feedback finds its way back to HQ. Joe scalper on the street doesn't care if it's an IP / DLC coating and looks just the same to Casio as a +1 in the sales sheet. 'We' do and I'm glad for it, I've certainly learnt a lot in my short time on this forum.

·
Premium Member
8,449 Posts

Sorry, maybe I am misunderstanding it, but I thought Nippon's Trans Tixxi was an alloy (2 times stronger than normal Ti), not a finish. The description is just as technical as anything else and it is described as twice as hard as regular Ti and much easier to machine. I agree there is some confusion about coating, but I'm not entirely sure it is deliberate.

If anything, I think G-Shock should try to market their surface hardening coatings and name them the way Citizen and Seiko have marketed Duratect and Diashield.

Reactions: Time4Playnow

·
Registered
9,317 Posts
We do have to be fair here and remember we're speaking about an unannounced product (in the Western markets at least). I'd expect a fair bit more clarity once the watch is announced and we don't have to rely on translations.

These discussions will always happen when you have a community passionate about the product. It in fact helps as the feedback finds its way back to HQ. Joe scalper on the street doesn't care if it's an IP / DLC coating and looks just the same to Casio as a +1 in the sales sheet. 'We' do and I'm glad for it, I've certainly learnt a lot in my short time on this forum.
As expensive as this watch will probably be, and given that it will be the first? MR-G square - when it's released to the Western markets, I'd expect not just a written release, but also a Casio promotional video clearly describing all features & notable areas of the watch. Hopefully that's what will happen.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
As expensive as this watch will probably be, and given that it will be the first? MR-G square - when it's released to the Western markets, I'd expect not just a written release, but also a Casio promotional video clearly describing all features & notable areas of the watch. Hopefully that's what will happen.
That's most likely. If the rumors are true, news embargo until October 23 and release right after in November, I reckon Casio will show us all the relevant information at once. What better way to do it than a nice video.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Sorry, maybe I am misunderstanding it, but I thought Nippon's Trans Tixxi was an alloy (2 times stronger than normal Ti), not a finish. The description is just as technical as anything else and it is described as twice as hard as regular Ti and much easier to machine. I agree there is some confusion about coating, but I'm not entirely sure it is deliberate.

If anything, I think G-Shock should try to market their surface hardening coatings and name them the way Citizen and Seiko have marketed Duratect and Diashield.
Just to nitpick, “two times stronger” and “twice as hard” are not at all the same thing. If my memory is right they claimed it was harder/more scratch resistant. More strength isn’t needed, even aluminum (the weakest of the commonly used metals) is plenty strong enough for a watch.

·
Registered
116 Posts

There is a lot of wrong and unclear information regarding released Casio products. I think the headquarters in Japan does a good job but other markets like the US get a lot of stuff wrong. For example a lot of people thought the blue camo GMW-B5000TCF was DLC in part because that is what the official US site said.

My hope is that this watch gets the MR-G treatment where they actually have people who know about the watch talk about it. They did a "movie" for the Hana Basara MR-G:

Some high end non-MRG models at times get the same treatment. Here is a video that is unlisted and available only through some Casio sites with an interview for the MTG-B2000PH and the GMW-B5000TR:

·
Registered
45 Posts
There is a lot of wrong and unclear information regarding released Casio products. I think the headquarters in Japan does a good job but other markets like the US get a lot of stuff wrong. For example a lot of people thought the blue camo GMW-B5000TCF was DLC in part because that is what the official US site said.

My hope is that this watch gets the MR-G treatment where they actually have people who know about the watch talk about it. They did a "movie" for the Hana Basara MR-G:

Some high end non-MRG models at times get the same treatment. Here is a video that is unlisted and available only through some Casio sites with an interview for the MTG-B2000PH and the GMW-B5000TR:
Very interesting ! Thanks for posting the vids

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yes, you are misunderstanding it.

DLC is an objective term, everyone knows and agrees what it means. I can take my watch to a materials engineer and he will verify that the coating is DLC (or not). That is the meaning of objective.

TranTixii is a brand name owned by Nippon Steel. Nippon Steel decide what it means, and they can change this any time they like. It is a product that they offer - the only thing we can objectively say is that it is titanium which has undergone some processes to give it an attractive (and hopefully hard) surface finish. You cannot take it to a materials engineer and ask if it is really TranTixii - hence it is not objective. Could the same thing be offered elsewhere from other companies without the TranTixii name? Perhaps. Their description is wishy-washy; they talk about blasting, polishing, plating, anodic oxidation. They decide what is TranTixii.

You are also mixing up hardness and strength. Nippon Steel claim the surface hardness is 2x harder than untreated Titanium.

·
Premium Member
8,449 Posts
They don't specify. Again, it's all very vague.

I don't know if we have many active TR-9 owners here who have commented on scratches.
No scratches on mine yet. I treat it like my other watches and don't baby it (hiking, work, beach, other plces), but then again it gets juggled between a fairly large number of other watches so it only gets worn every couple of weeks, so mine probably isn't the best example.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes, you are misunderstanding it.

DLC is an objective term, everyone knows and agrees what it means. I can take my watch to a materials engineer and he will verify that the coating is DLC (or not). That is the meaning of objective.

TranTixii is a brand name owned by Nippon Steel. Nippon Steel decide what it means, and they can change this any time they like. It is a product that they offer - the only thing we can objectively say is that it is titanium which has undergone some processes to give it an attractive (and hopefully hard) surface finish. You cannot take it to a materials engineer and ask if it is really TranTixii - hence it is not objective. Could the same thing be offered elsewhere from other companies without the TranTixii name? Perhaps. Their description is wishy-washy; they talk about blasting, polishing, plating, anodic oxidation. They decide what is TranTixii.

You are also mixing up hardness and strength. Nippon Steel claim the surface hardness is 2x harder than untreated Titanium.
Does the surface hardness of the metal even matter really when you are talking about scratching the coating? Just asking this out of curiosity because from what I understood the TranTrixi is IP coated and not DLC, so you are bound to scratch it no matter how hard the underlying material?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
What grade of Ti are they comparing to?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Who knows. They also coated it with an IP...which negates
Does the surface hardness of the metal even matter really when you are talking about scratching the coating? Just asking this out of curiosity because from what I understood the TranTrixi is IP coated and not DLC, so you are bound to scratch it no matter how hard the underlying material?
Ding ding ding. I’ve been saying this ever since it came out.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Does the surface hardness of the metal even matter really when you are talking about scratching the coating?
TranTixxii refers to the overall product which encompasses everything from the titanium alloy to the surface treatment and coatings. So when they talk about the hardness in their literature they are referring to the durability of the finished surface.

Just asking this out of curiosity because from what I understood the TranTrixi is IP coated and not DLC, so you are bound to scratch it no matter how hard the underlying material?
TranTixxii is not any one thing. It is a brand name which Nippon Steel apply to a product that they offer. The customer says "we want polished gold/red/etc titanium for a watch" and Nippon Steel supply what they think is appropriate.

There can be different coatings and surface treatments depending on the needs of the customer, the chosen color, the application. They offer different colors and they can be achieved in different ways, sometimes via IP, sometimes not. The TranTixxii used for an outdoor railing is not necessarily the same used on a watch bezel, or motorbike exhaust.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
That's a good question, and I think it depends on:

1. The hardness of the object doing the scratching.
2. The load.

This is usually displayed under taber abrasion tests, which always favor harder substrates and industrial scratch testing using a stylus is designed to test both hardness and load response. This is because the substrate dramatically affects the wear resistance of a coating when under load.

Sorry - the long way of putting it, I suppose.

·
Registered
142 Posts
New video from DA on the MRG

The black colour way looks almost exactly the Porter edition (@kubr1ck you asked for this so I blame you!). The top bezel is a different piece and I’m guessing it’s a precursor for different bezel finishes like the MRG line. If these ‘regular’ MRG’s are priced at $4K then I wonder what the hand finished versions will MSRP at…

I want to want these but I’m just not seeing where the $2,000 is going. Maybe it’s one of those pieces you just have to hold and see in person to appreciate. I felt the TB looked underwhelming in pictures and considered it a pass till I saw it in person.

It is a more complex construction but as we’ve discussed on here it seems to be complexity for complexity sake, can’t see any advantages here - unless it’s an aesthetic decision and we see different finishes or colours (TR9 V2!!). Either way, intrigued and keen to hear more.

One final point, i hope Casio keeps these fairly exclusive and by that i mean a model or two a year and not a deluge of rainbow colours and finishes to compete with the regular squares, that would be a mistake and dilute the appeal of the line (IMO of course)

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
New video from DA on the MRG

The black colour way looks almost exactly the Porter edition (@kubr1ck you asked for this so I blame you!). The top bezel is a different piece and I’m guessing it’s a precursor for different bezel finishes like the MRG line. If these ‘regular’ MRG’s are priced at $4K then I wonder what the hand finished versions will MSRP at…

I want to want these but I’m just not seeing where the $2,000 is going. Maybe it’s one of those pieces you just have to hold and see in person to appreciate. I felt the TB looked underwhelming in pictures and considered it a pass till I saw it in person.

It is a more complex construction but as we’ve discussed on here it seems to be complexity for complexity sake, can’t see any advantages here - unless it’s an aesthetic decision and we see different finishes or colours (TR9 V2!!). Either way, intrigued and keen to hear more.

One final point, i hope Casio keeps these fairly exclusive and by that i mean a model or two a year and not a deluge of rainbow colours and finishes to compete with the regular squares, that would be a mistake and dilute the appeal of the line (IMO of course)
Nice find man. So I finally get my full Ti/sapphire square in the origin DW-5000C-1A colorway, but have to dish out $4K for it, lol. Thanks, Casio. :p

One sadly missing touch on the bracelet is the lock on the clasp, which is a very cool feature on my analog MR-G. Maybe Casio thought nobody would want to steal a stupid metal square. :LOL:
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
9,317 Posts
Nice find man. So I finally get my full Ti/sapphire square in the origin DW-5000C-1A colorway, but have to dish out $4K for it, lol. Thanks, Casio. :p

One sadly missing touch on the bracelet is the lock on the clasp, which is a very cool feature on my analog MR-G. Maybe Casio thought nobody would want to steal a stupid metal square. :LOL:
View attachment 16176033
Yep. It's either dish out $4K for one of these, or $3K plus for a pre-owned Porter. Or, none of the above. 🤪

I agree, the lock on the clasp would be nice. That always gives me extra assurance that the watch isn't going anywhere once I'm wearing it. I imagine it would thwart any pickpocket's plans.

I'm still having a hard time imagining such a high price for the MR-G square. Can't wait to hear the details that "justify" it. (in Casio's minds, at least!) 🤣

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm still having a hard time imagining such a high price for the MR-G square. Can't wait to hear the details that "justify" it.
4k$ is above the price Casio is charging for the latest "regular" analog MR-G watches. I'll thus go out on a limb and predict that the MR-G square will have handmade details on the case (maybe engravings of some sort). Only way they could "justify" this price IMO :)

Another possibility is that the 4k$ price is wrong, and they'll sell it for less.

241 - 260 of 301 Posts