WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
261 - 280 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yep. It's either dish out $4K for one of these, or $3K plus for a pre-owned Porter. Or, none of the above. 🤪

I agree, the lock on the clasp would be nice. That always gives me extra assurance that the watch isn't going anywhere once I'm wearing it. I imagine it would thwart any pickpocket's plans.

I'm still having a hard time imagining such a high price for the MR-G square. Can't wait to hear the details that "justify" it. (in Casio's minds, at least!) 🤣
If the module is indeed new, the price could be justified by giving it GPS time-setting capabilities. Still, to double the price just for that is a huge rip-off.

But, let's say the module is the same or almost. Sure, marketing can come up with "tougher than the toughest material".

Marketing could also go the exclusivity route: yeah, this is basically a red border titanium but there is the MR-G printed there and if you want to be one of the privileged few to have it, please give us some $3,300 ON TOP of the $1,200 you gave for a $100 piece with a $1,100 armor. Count Dooku, if he were alive would have said:
- Good! Triple the price, triple the [the wallet money will] fall.

Finally, I had to ask myself: which sort of overkill features besides a new module would grasp my attention and give that "I want it" feeling?

I guess if they made it a 1000m water resist and 50 meter fall shock proof, it might give some (me at least) the feeling of owning a special overkill version of an already overkill watch.

·
Registered
9,317 Posts
4k$ is above the price Casio is charging for the latest "regular" analog MR-G watches. I'll thus go out on a limb and predict that the MR-G square will have handmade details on the case (maybe engravings of some sort). Only way they could "justify" this price IMO :)

Another possibility is that the 4k$ price is wrong, and they'll sell it for less.
Agreed. For me, the ONLY thing that might justify the price is handmade details & crafting on the watch.

But for that price....the Japanese craftsman better also be available for video chats when I have any question, or just want to shoot the breeze about the watch. ;) 😁

I'll go out on a limb and say that each MR-G should come with its own concierge to deliver your watch all the way from Japan, answer any questions you have, and help you pick out your next one.. 😜🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
218 Posts
Agreed. For me, the ONLY thing that might justify the price is handmade details & crafting on the watch.

But for that price....the Japanese craftsman better also be available for video chats when I have any question, or just want to shoot the breeze about the watch. ;) 😁

I'll go out on a limb and say that each MR-G should come with its own concierge to deliver your watch all the way from Japan, answer any questions you have, and help you pick out your next one.. 😜🤣🤣🤣
For $4k they could add a new function to the module:a flashlight. Whenever you hold the light button for 15 seconds, a special employee materializes with a flashlight and illuminates what you need.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Some more info from my Casio dealer
Nov 2021 launch
MRGB5000D-1 MSRP $3,500 (titanium color)
MRGB5000B-1 MSRP $4,000 (black color)
Top bezel: Cobarion
Band: DAT55G (TiC for titanium color, DLC for black)
Others: 64 Titanium
Module: 3501
Super LED
"Full time link" Bluetooth
200m water rating
Case size: 49x43x13mm

I think they are normal production, not limited edition, but waiting on confirmation. Me personally if not limited edition, I don't think I will consider buying, the price is at such a premium over the rainbow color b5000 with trantixii. If limited edition, I'd be a little tempted to own the strongest exterior plain black square ever made.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Nov 2021 launch
Super LED
200m water rating

I think they are normal production, not limited edition, but waiting on confirmation. Me personally if not limited edition, I don't think I will consider buying, the price is at such a premium over the rainbow color b5000 with trantixii. If limited edition, I'd be a little tempted to own the strongest exterior plain black square ever made.
Very interesting! No MB6?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nov 2021 launch
Super LED
200m water rating

Super LED? That sounds like something my boy Elon would try send to mars on his car. Hopefully it shines bright enough to blind the buyer from the flaming hole in his pocket that this thing is going to burn into.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Before more information becomes available I would like to speculate that the 3501 module is either identical or a minor upgrade to the 3459 module. I'm usually wrong. I hope I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
8,449 Posts
Nov 2021 launch
Super LED
200m water rating

Thanks for the info.
Cobarion bezel is super cool!
3501 module? Interesting.
What does 64 Ti mean?
Damn, I can do around 2k, but at the current rate I just cannot bring myself to do it, but look forward to seeing others enjoying it :)

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
Thanks for the info.
Cobarion bezel is super cool!
3501 module? Interesting.
What does 64 Ti mean?
Damn, I can do around 2k, but at the current rate I just cannot bring myself to do it, but look forward to seeing others enjoying it :)
Ti64 is Grade 5 high-strength titanium. A cut above the Grade 2 used on most current MR-Gs. This is good news.

And oh man, that cobarion bezel is going to have a beautiful finish. One of my biggest regrets was not picking up the cobarion MRG-G2000CB-1A when it was first released (and before prices became outrageous).

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
Nov 2021 launch
Super LED
200m water rating

Limited or not, these specs tell me that Casio's going all-in in terms of materials on this square, which pisses me off because now I'll have to pick one up. :LOL:

·
Registered
9,317 Posts
Limited or not, these specs tell me that Casio's going all-in in terms of materials on this square, which pisses me off because now I'll have to pick one up. :LOL:
That's right. Get one of these, and you'll soon forget that the Porter ever existed! 😆

As for me, when Casio begins releasing videos, photos, and full specs of these MR-G squares, I will have to voluntarily quarantine myself inside a locked room, wearing a straitjacket, with no Internet, phone, or credit cards for 365 days. By the time I emerge, all the MR-G squares will be long-since sold out or mothballed. 😆😆😆

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
That's right. Get one of these, and you'll soon forget that the Porter ever existed! 😆

As for me, when Casio begins releasing videos, photos, and full specs of these MR-G squares, I will have to voluntarily quarantine myself inside a locked room, wearing a straitjacket, with no Internet, phone, or credit cards for 365 days. By the time I emerge, all the MR-G squares will be long-since sold out or mothballed. 😆😆😆
Don't worry T4P, I'll post plenty of unboxing photos in this thread and you'll come around well before then. LOL

Anyways, I'll probably sell off one of my Swiss mechanicals that is just sitting in a box collecting dust. Part of the fun of this hobby is swapping in new models and flipping the stale ones.

·
Premium Member
8,449 Posts
Don't worry T4P, I'll post plenty of unboxing photos in this thread and you'll come around well before then. LOL

Anyways, I'll probably sell off one of my Swiss mechanicals that is just sitting in a box collecting dust. Part of the fun of this hobby is swapping in new models and flipping the stale ones.
If I get one, that might be the route I take...

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Nov 2021 launch
Super LED
200m water rating

Thank you for sharing this information.

Normal size? Cobarion bezel? Grade 5 Ti? Man, these do not bode well for my wallet. Not at all. Its been two years since I bought a G, time to go big.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nov 2021 launch
Super LED
200m water rating

Thanks for the information. Breaking down the material choices:

Band / Case* - DAT55G
Surface Treatment - TiC (titanium carbide?) for the silver and DLC for the black
Bezel - Cobarion

Could someone in the know help with what these choices mean in the context of being an MRG and the increased cost over the regular Ti models?

P.S. I understand this doesn't make mention of complexity / assembly / finish etc.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Thanks for the information. Breaking down the material choices:

Band / Case* - DAT55G
Surface Treatment - TiC (titanium carbide?) for the silver and DLC for the black
Bezel - Cobarion

Could someone in the know help with what these choices mean in the context of being an MRG and the increased cost over the regular Ti models?

P.S. I understand this doesn't make mention of complexity / assembly / finish etc.
The fact that the bezel is in a different material to the rest of the case confirms the more complex construction which perhaps accounts for some extra cost.

COBARION® is a cobalt chrome alloy that boasts a hardness more than twice that of stainless steel and that is said to have the brilliant sparkle of platinum.
Presumably, Cobarion is more expensive that normal Titanium.

Titanium Carbide (TiC) is harder to work with and its sources are rarer, both leading to higher cost.

Whether you deem the extra cost representative of the above is purely subjective.

Reactions: AlreadyLost

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I suspect this will be stunning. It'll have to be given the price increase over the Titanium square
Yes. At US$3,700 for the silver version, that is going to be at least AU$5,500 I suspect.

261 - 280 of 301 Posts