WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stainless Steel owners: Do any of you see a need to purchase a screen protector with the sapphire glass? What about any kind of case?
I like the look of it as is. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,718 Posts
I haven't gotten a screen protector for mine, and it's still good after a year and a quarter.

I'm less nervous about my Citizen and SKX009 since they both have bezels to protect their crystals. But, the crystals on both my AW and Rado have exposed edges, and maybe I'm a little more careful around door frames and brick walls.

·
Registered
220 Posts
A screen protector isn't necessary on the steel model's sapphire crystal.

If it takes a hard enough drop to shatter the crystal (which can happen if you drop it from arm height onto, say, concrete or tile), it'll shatter regardless of whether there's a thin plastic film on it.

And anything less than a hard drop won't scratch the sapphire at all, so the screen protector has no benefit. (Unless you carry the watch in a pocket next to sharp diamonds for some reason, which would cut through the screen protector anyway.)

The steel body is another story. That scratches with the slightest contact with anything. But that's just part of having a polished steel watch — most steel watches scratch just as easily, and it just builds toward its "charm". If this ends up bothering you, Apple does offer two finishes that are effectively scratchproof: the Space Black steel models (very strong DLC coating), and the white ceramic Edition.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A screen protector isn't necessary on the steel model's sapphire crystal.

If it takes a hard enough drop to shatter the crystal (which can happen if you drop it from arm height onto, say, concrete or tile), it'll shatter regardless of whether there's a thin plastic film on it.

And anything less than a hard drop won't scratch the sapphire at all, so the screen protector has no benefit. (Unless you carry the watch in a pocket next to sharp diamonds for some reason, which would cut through the screen protector anyway.)

The steel body is another story. That scratches with the slightest contact with anything. But that's just part of having a polished steel watch — most steel watches scratch just as easily, and it just builds toward its "charm". If this ends up bothering you, Apple does offer two finishes that are effectively scratchproof: the Space Black steel models (very strong DLC coating), and the white ceramic Edition.
Thanks for the replies. I opted for the space black ss, so am glad to read this.

·
Banned
122 Posts
No screen protector needed in this case besides I like the real feel of what Apple has to offer not some screen protector restricting my experience.

·
Registered
23,718 Posts
That's kinda like a modern-modern-day Santos. What's the brand? Doesn't look like the Lunatik case.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
New wristouch case. Really beyond durable; it's enabled me to wear my gen 1 where my Marathon usually goes. Also it has allowed me to move amongst other Marines without taking flak for wearing an Apple Watch - that alone has been priceless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
23,718 Posts
I was the third of five in my unit (5512 MOS) to get one before I retired this January. Granted, we weren't getting very dirty, but it was pretty danged useful.

·
Premium Member
3,390 Posts
I've been using my series 2 w/ sapphire for lifting and swim workouts for the past few weeks with absolutely no visible scratches on the screen or case.

If the crystal is any bit as thick/strong as it is on Rolex/omega/etc you should be fine without a screen protector. The body/casing may show some scratching/wear and tear, but imo that's what a watch is supposed to show! (To an extent)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been using my series 2 w/ sapphire for lifting and swim workouts for the past few weeks with absolutely no visible scratches on the screen or case.

If the crystal is any bit as thick/strong as it is on Rolex/omega/etc you should be fine without a screen protector. The body/casing may show some scratching/wear and tear, but imo that's what a watch is supposed to show! (To an extent)

So I've had the watch since Thanksgiving now and don't have a screen protector or any case on it. I don't worry about hitting it or scratching it on anything. Looks like the day I bought it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts