WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
I highly doubt it will be the central seconds hand modification. Maybe a Unitas 6498-2 with 21.600 A/h, 3 Hz or a 6498-1 with seconds stop function (this would be very nice).
I agree, either option would be nice. The -2 version of the 6498 comes with greater power reserve and, with proper regulation, potential for the same or better chronometer-like accuracy as its -1 sister movement.

A stop seconds or hacking seconds modification would be great, too.

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you visit Stowa’s website under Marine watches and scroll down, you will see a pictorial example of a Stowa KM deck watch, and a brief history. For further information on Stowa deck watches I can recommend Konrad Knirim’s very good book Military Timepieces.
Thank you, I might pick that book up. I could have worded my question better. Yes I have seen Stowas site about their Marine collection. Stowa is known for Fliegers, Blancpain is known for divers, Omega is known for space mission saving chronographs, Hamilton I think train conductor pieces, and of course field watches. Obviously Stowa has a claim to deck watches but are they known as one of the originals or best deck watches? Stowa made tons of divers in the 60s and 70s but aren’t known as a Dive watch manufacturer. Whereas with Fliegers Stowa is known throughout the community. I guess my question is where Stowa sits in the deck watch community

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Thank you, I might pick that book up. I could have worded my question better. Yes I have seen Stowas site about their Marine collection. Stowa is known for Fliegers, Blancpain is known for divers, Omega is known for space mission saving chronographs, Hamilton I think train conductor pieces, and of course field watches. Obviously Stowa has a claim to deck watches but are they known as one of the originals or best deck watches? Stowa made tons of divers in the 60s and 70s but aren’t known as a Dive watch manufacturer. Whereas with Fliegers Stowa is known throughout the community. I guess my question is where Stowa sits in the deck watch community
According to a TGV video their original marine/deck watches were popular in the 30s and 40s. Supposedly used by the navy and on U-boats. Very respectable history and fairly faithful modern interpretations. It's not Ulysse Nardin in terms of history but then again they have 'evolved' into gaudy luxury imo.

Based on Stowa's ads, it seems their bauhaus and marine watches are the runner-ups (after flieger) for being their most popular offerings. All three have interesting history and are great modern reissues.

Their dive watches are very cool too, I like the Seatime but there's something about them that makes them not as big of a hit as the others imho.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Obviously Stowa has a claim to deck watches but are they known as one of the originals or best deck watches?
Yes, they are known as original makers of WW II deck watches.
If 'best' means most accurate mvts. they were not making this quality version. Their watches were called navigation watch 2nd. class. They manufactured 1939 the first model (without a brand in the dial) with 288 pcs. and 1943/1944 the second -and better known- model (with STOWA and KM in the dial) in 2.000 pcs.. All were driven by the Swiss UNITAS movements: Back then Stowa imported Unitas as a general agent to Germany.
The watch's case measures 57 mm in diameter, the later L.E. made by Jörg Schauer were 41 mm only.
Here is the late WW II model framed by the two MO L.E. (white and black dial):

Volker

PS:
Because of trials and tribulations during WW II Stowa manufactured much less than the initially ordered 2.000 pcs.
Many of the parts to assemble these watches were found by Helmut Sinn in the past war years. He used them to build and sell completed navigation watches. All original except of the glass lid on the backside. He couldn't use the original solid backs: They were bearing the swastika and most people didn't want to be reminded of that era.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I got one of the very first bronze 6498 pieces and it is much nicer finished than my MO from 10 years ago. I wlll try and post some pics later. I wonder if this is what they were talking about?

·
Registered
270 Posts
So glad to see Im not the only one checking the website anxiously 😂 they changed the statement now that the update is coming in “the coming weeks” 😞
I have a watch on order and perhaps am worrying too much about it. I noticed a comment not long ago about the "becoming rare" screw balance. My fear is that the new movement will replace the balance wheel. I personally do not think it will be anything drastic such as a modified second hand. I will say that my current 6498 Stowa and my 6497 Panerai are both as reliable and accurate as they come. It has made me dump every auto that I previously owned.

The 6498 Flieger is edge to edge perfection. I love that the case size is as small as it can possibly be in order to fit a pocket watch movement.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I have a watch on order and perhaps am worrying too much about it. I noticed a comment not long ago about the "becoming rare" screw balance. My fear is that the new movement will replace the balance wheel. I personally do not think it will be anything drastic such as a modified second hand. I will say that my current 6498 Stowa and my 6497 Panerai are both as reliable and accurate as they come. It has made me dump every auto that I previously owned.

The 6498 Flieger is edge to edge perfection. I love that the case size is as small as it can possibly be in order to fit a pocket watch movement.
absolutely, the edge-to-edge fitting is perfect to me. what watch do you have on order? Whats your current Stowa 6498?

also, general i could pose elsewhere... If you cant hack the movement, how is it”accurate”?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have the Unitas Flieger 6498 (black face) and it is about 5 years old. I am purchasing a similar one to it with a different case finish.

My accuracy is checked with the phone app. I have the model with the sub second hand and its easy to do. I also have timegrapher that also shows just how consisten the amplitude is on this 5 yr old movement. From full wind down to about 36 hours in, the movement shows the same deviation each and every time. This makes it very easy to trust it and setting the watch down face up, and winding it daily, makes for a very consistent routine. This as opposed to my autos that i owned that never saw a consistent charge. To me, handwound is the way to go. Simple movement, cheap service, accurate, and very stable/trustworthy.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
To me, handwound is the way to go. Simple movement, cheap service, accurate, and very stable/trustworthy.
Yes, almost everything is said about HW watches.
Let me add please:
'If you want all these benefits in a smaller case too, you can purchase a vintage-watch. Size doesn't serve as an excuse for an automatic movement.........'

Volker

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yes, almost everything is said about HW watches.
Let me add please:
'If you want all these benefits in a smaller case too, you can purchase a vintage-watch. Size doesn't serve as an excuse for an automatic movement.........'

Volker
Well said. I inherited my dad's 1964 Benarus government issued military watch that must be in the 34mm range. I am very much waiting in anticipation for Stowa's updated looking movement for the 6498. We should know something soon. In a world full of stress, it is good to have these mental breaks and spirited appreciation for the little things (hobbies).

·
Registered
172 Posts
“From now on - starting with delivery date July 2021 we will offer the movement Unitas 6498 in a slightly modified form. Within the next weeks we will present this new movement here pictorially. Possibly there will even be two versions. Let yourself be surprised.”

…being patient is difficult but rewarding, very interested to watch this play out

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
“From now on - starting with delivery date July 2021 we will offer the movement Unitas 6498 in a slightly modified form. Within the next weeks we will present this new movement here pictorially. Possibly there will even be two versions. Let yourself be surprised.”

…being patient is difficult but rewarding, very interested to watch this play out
After all this waiting, I hope its something cool. Not just updated snailing on the gears or perlage... But an actual movement update

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yes, that seems very plausible as well. Some additional engraving or a choice of engraving styles on the plates and bridges might be offered, for example. I'll be excited to see the outcome regardless.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I saw today the Flieger Classic green dial and gold plated hands. I assume that’s new and not something I’ve missed before. I like it.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts