WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

101 - 120 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
As I understand it, Stowa’s company identity is now expressed through this design:
wholelogo225.jpg

It consists of a logo made up of a graphic and the company name plus a strap line which emphasises what the company believes is important about itself. It is very nicely designed. Taken as a whole, I can’t fault it as a piece of graphic design for print or web site. The three elements - graphic, name and strap line - work well together. The design has a nice balance without being symmetrical. It is perfect for use on company documentation.

However, it is not possible simply to cut up a good piece of design and use the pieces separately, which is what I think has been done here. Take away the strap line, stick what remains on a watch dial, and everything changes:
logo225.jpg

Without the strap line to unify and balance it, I think the design takes on a clumsy one-sided look. I’ve always thought that the crown was a good place to put the W graphic, leaving only the name on the dial. Placing the graphic centrally above the name, as on the Seatime, would also work better than having the graphic and the name side by side.

It is a lot to ask of a piece of graphic/typographical design that it should be suitable for company documentation as well as modern and classic styles of watch dial. I’m sure it can be done but this design doesn’t do it. Just my opinion. At the end of the day the only opinion that matters is Jörg's.

·
Registered
37 Posts
As I will see, there is a lot of feedback for the new logo which is really bad.
So, I asked to myself: Should I really post here? But after I have seen the dial with its new logo at the Antea 390, I told to myself: Yes you must!

Sorry Jörg, but I hope that you will change your mind! It's certainly your decision changing the logo - but one of your strengths is to hear to your customers.

I will definitely not buy a Stowa with this dial - sorry!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I’ve been staring at the new logo for the last few minutes, and I’m sorry to say that it doesn’t click with me. It is certainly sportier than the traditional logo and would be great on the Flieger TO or the Prodiver, but it seems a little too thick and muscular to cooperate with the design of watches like the Antea, Marine or 1938.

Updating the logo is not necessarily a bad idea, but I wish they had worked more with the older logo in creating the new design (for example, finding a way to reference the traditional Stowa “S”). I know that a great deal of thought and discussion must go into decisions like this, but the end result just looks kind of basic and perfunctory to my eyes.

That said, the new logo will not stop me from buying more Stowa watches in the future.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think its only a logo change.. Microsoft and Nike and other big company have changed their many times and they still sell.
The new one looks good on the GMT world time but don't know why it isn't on the Antea 390. maybe too small or just doesn't suit classy dial as the others said.
maybe Stowa could use both of them

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Thank you for the information. I much preferred the old Stowa logo because it's true to history (and vintage models), but all brands logo evolve with time and I'm sure I'll get used to the new one with time.

·
Registered
756 Posts
What bad timing (no pun)! I just decided to buy a Stowa after many many research and ambivalence between Stowa and 2 other brands. I started saving and I expect to be able to afford one in September 2013, but this news is really discouraging :( If the old logo isn't available anymore when I'm ready to order, I'll have to pass.
Order now, you probably won't be billed until September anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
37 Posts
I see a lot of comments about how it affects the history of Stowa to change a font on a logo. Seriously.

A font in no way changes what Stowa has done in the past at all (which is to build high quality watches). Just like when Jorge took over the company, that major change in ownership (a much bigger episode than a font change) didn't take away from the history of Stowa either. It actually gave it a future.

From one seeking not only a high quality German Made watch, but a high quality German Made watch from a company with a great history, I'd buy a new Stowa with the new logo in a heartbeat. The history of a company doesn't change just because a font type does.
I agree. For me too, this new logo wouldn't stop me from getting a Stowa watch with the new logo on it. I am also convinced that this new logo will grow on several Stowa-enthousiasts that don't like the logo right now. It's not like the new logo is horrendous or anything close to that.

I just like the old logo better and I can't see any good reason to change it. I'm glad I have a Partitio with the old logo.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I see a lot of comments about how it affects the history of Stowa to change a font on a logo. Seriously.

A font in no way changes what Stowa has done in the past at all (which is to build high quality watches). Just like when Jorge took over the company, that major change in ownership (a much bigger episode than a font change) didn't take away from the history of Stowa either. It actually gave it a future.

From one seeking not only a high quality German Made watch, but a high quality German Made watch from a company with a great history, I'd buy a new Stowa with the new logo in a heartbeat. The history of a company doesn't change just because a font type does.
I get where you're coming from here. I think the issue that Stowa might want to be concerned about (and might not) is that there are a lot of options for very similar-looking watches out there, and if the potential customer can choose between a logo they like and a logo they don't like, they might go elsewhere with their money. It's a small piece of the watch as a whole, but we're dropping a good chunk of money on a piece of jewelry whose small details are something we relish.

Would I have bought my MO with the new logo if I thought it was at odds with the "classic" look of the watch? Maybe not. Maybe I would have gone with a similar watch from another company whose overall aesthetic I liked better.

Either way, my next Stowa will be a no-logo flieger. I had originally planned on maybe buying an Antea KS and Prodiver as well, but I'll have to revisit my feelings on the new logo on those watches at that time.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Let's forget the Mercedes and Coke analogies. What would happen if JLC decided to change their font to this: JAEGER-LECOULTRE.

Now imagine that font on this watch (photo credit to Kibi) and ask yourself if you would be more likely or less likely to buy that watch. To me the answer is clear, and so it is with Stowa. Don't get me wrong--I will always be a huge Stowa fan and proud owner, but will always be nostalgic for the old font.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think Fischer hit the nail on the head. The logo works in its entirety.

I think it's also an issue of scale. Compared to, say, the large banner at the top of this page, the new logo looks slightly squashed on a watch face. I would reserve judgement until I actually see an 'in the flesh' photo though, as computer mock ups (which I think the stock photos are) may be exaggerating or even creating this perception.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I personally like the fact that the actual Stowa logo is prominently on the dial now and not just the word Stowa. Instead of just being lost on the crown, it's now a big part of the company branding. Isn't the logo a part of Stowas history as well? Now that the emphasis is less on the font and more on the logo, people have a problem with it... I don't get it.

Not trying to make comparisons between the two brands by no means, but since people like to throw around examples like this, here's one to ponder: What would the Rolex logo/branding be without the famous crown.... just the word Rolex in a fairly plain Times New Roman type of font. The crown is the signature part of their logo. Why can't the W Stowa logo have its place for a change?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Rolex has huge brand name recognition, though. Unless Stowa is planning on shooting for mass production, I think its biggest strength is its history, quality, design aesthetics, and loyal following. Messing with one of those factors may or may not work in its favor depending on how it's received, and it seems like its reception is not as tremendous as one would hope.

Stowa has been making a lot of changes recently with new models, changes to old models (6oclock subdial on a flieger) and this new logo. I'm sure a lot of what is causing so much upset here is just that we don't like change.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Rolex has huge brand name recognition, though. Unless Stowa is planning on shooting for mass production, I think its biggest strength is its history, quality, design aesthetics, and loyal following. Messing with one of those factors may or may not work in its favor depending on how it's received, and it seems like its reception is not as tremendous as one would hope.

Stowa has been making a lot of changes recently with new models, changes to old models (6oclock subdial on a flieger) and this new logo. I'm sure a lot of what is causing so much upset here is just that we don't like change.
Rolex got all of that name recognition with that simple font and prominent crown... they didn't start off prominent. That's precisely my point. Who cares if Stowa never gets as big as Rolex (they never will and im glad about that fact).The point is a simple font together with a distinctive logo sure didn't deter people from snatching up Rolexes like crazy.

You hit the nail squarely on the head with your very last sentence "I'm sure a lot of what is causing so much upset here is that we just don't like change."

·
Registered
37 Posts
You hit the nail squarely on the head with your very last sentence "I'm sure a lot of what is causing so much upset here is that we just don't like change."
Sorry, I don't think that "change" is the only reason. Yes, there are more watch types now in Stowa's portfolio. But, you can choose between them.

At the end of the day, it is quite good, that Stowa is going on with its own process - bringing out more models which dip into the past, and models that are really new like the Flieger Testaf.

The problem for me, and I think for many others is, that the new logo design does not fit to the dials of the old models. I think that it fits only to the new Flieger Testaf.

And the logo design belongs to the entire design of a watch. It is definitely not suitable to a discussion about logo modifications of companies which are not acting as a watchmaker - like VW, Mercedes, etc... Nobody cares about it, if they changes their logos!

·
Registered
65 Posts
How about a poll?

Can we take a poll and see how many people favors the new logo vs the old logo? Personally I love the old logo.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The point is a simple font together with a distinctive logo sure didn't deter people from snatching up Rolexes like crazy.
I think the key word there is distinctive. The most distinctive part of the Stowa logo is the name with the elegant S. if anything, that logo could have been made bigger. The "W" icon on the other hand can't be compared to the Rolex crown. I mean, it's a crown! I don't like it, but there's no confusion about what it is or the message it conveys. The Stowa icon is interesting because its been around a while, but the connection to the brand or what it even is isn't clear. I don't think many people could draw it from memory without looking at it. I assume it might have something to with Walter Storz, but if I had no idea who he was it wouldn't make much sense that the icon would be an abstracted letter from the middle of the company's name. It's also a little too busy to scale down small enough for the dial, but looks good on the crown.

If anyone does know what the "W" icon represents I would like to know. I feel like every letter in Stowa is in there except for the S, but why that would be done, I don't know.

Edit- some clever googling led me to stuffler,mike's verdict:

to sum it up: Nobody really knows.
A chap on a german watch forum tried to visualize his interpretation....

....but he got into trouble with the "S" of Stowa. However, a nice try I guess.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I think the key word there is distinctive. The most distinctive part of the Stowa logo is the name with the elegant S. if anything, that logo could have been made bigger. The "W" icon on the other hand can't be compared to the Rolex crown. I mean, it's a crown! I don't like it, but there's no confusion about what it is or the message it conveys. The Stowa icon is interesting because its been around a while, but the connection to the brand or what it even is isn't clear. I don't think many people could draw it from memory without looking at it. I assume it might have something to with Walter Storz, but if I had no idea who he was it wouldn't make much sense that the icon would be an abstracted letter from the middle of the company's name. It's also a little too busy to scale down small enough for the dial, but looks good on the crown.

If anyone does know what the "W" icon represents I would like to know. I feel like every letter in Stowa is in there except for the S, but why that would be done, I don't know.

Edit- some clever googling led me to stuffler,mike's verdict:
I mean distinctive in the sense that it took some creative process to come up with and that's unique to the brand. A crown is a generic item not unique to Rolex as a branding item. Same with wings used by Breitling etc... No one may know what the hell it is, but it's unique to the Stowa brand only, and like it or not, it's Stowa's logo. The stylized S was probably a two second after-thought kinda thing to do, and is not the Stowa logo. I hope Jorge isn't too offended by all those that would rather see a slightly fancy S on the dial instead of the actual company logo. I'm sure he's not because he's Jorge, but he has every right to be.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I agree we need to move towards the future and also keeping a balance to the past.

For example, one move forward with progress and improvements .... so in this case, design and function in a watch is important and if the improvement is better, why not!

But I kept looking at the new logo, and personally I do not feel the new logo is an improvement, Sorry Jorg!

Of course this is very subjective because there will always be others who can appreciate the new logo, cheers anyway ; )

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Am I blind or why didnt I find a comparison in this thread between the old and new logo.
The logo hasn't changed. It's still the same. It's just prominent on the dial now and the Stowa font has slightly changed. The whole thing together now looks like the logo at the top of this page minus the Watches Made In Germany Since 1927 part.

101 - 120 of 266 Posts