WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
2,420 Posts
Wow, that is a beautiful recreation of the originals, and they really got the bits of color to pop, my favorite part. If I had one of the prior 3133 models I'd be sore seeing these.

The page mentions other projects using Russian movements, which makes me wonder why this doesn't have one too?

Not sure how I feel about the textured dial models, the cream models looking too much like those well known fake dials, and the case height possibility being a bit much.

· Registered
Strela Cosmos 40mm
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Wow, that is a beautiful recreation of the originals, and they really got the bits of color to pop, my favorite part. If I had one of the prior 3133 models I'd be sore seeing these.
Thanks. It was and is a long way to there, and we don't even think it is over now at all. We think the older 38 Strelas will age with dignity and the newer watches are still fresh and are something totally else.

The page mentions other projects using Russian movements, which makes me wonder why this doesn't have one too?
One factor is price. Strelas were very affordable a few years back. MakTime was a good, reliable and affordable source for movements, the same for us as manufacturer. These times are long over since 2012. The last projects we can make with NOS Russian movements are really limited. They all have to be on the spot, and combine the best bang for the buck. The ST19 will hopefully release some pressure on our stock so we find more time for new designs and watches that are really something you expect from a watch, even when it costs a lil more then a few years ago, or even now. Depending on the movement type of course. Now people can get a decent chronograph from us again, and are not having an empty fridge the following month. Because they like to wear a mechanical Strela, like the look and are not totally focused on the Russian heart. If you are after that, we still offer what we have, but can also release some Russian driven gems with more ease from time to time.

Another factor is time. We use a heavy amount of time for our Russian chronos now. We hope the ST19 can speed things up, to put a bit more watches in the hands of shops and POS stores. This can help us to invest more time in better products (with Russian movements as well) and developing them to the end.

The missing link: The ST19 column wheel matches the Strela very well. The movement is close to 3017. I was in contact with Seagull factory a few times. We tried to get a raw and totally undecorated OEM version of the movement with our stamp. We really tried everything. Then we had the go for this. Some head engineer though halted the order because he mentioned structural and quality problems. Well, maybe to complicated and that is why our glass case back for this watch is optional with no number, the steel case back will get the ongoing number and is the standard case back for this watch. Maybe one day we get these movements done, then this will change. At the moment it's almost too decorated for a Strela. ;) Anyone who likes to see the movement from time to time, can get a fair priced window to it, and interchange.

As said, the ST19 is an addition to our watches. Not a replacement. We are still committed to Russian movements. That's what we are and will try as much and long as we can.

Not sure how I feel about the textured dial models, the cream models looking too much like those well known fake dials, and the case height possibility being a bit much.
The textured dial came out too much. The black is pretty ok, almost like the vintage, my wish was just slightly less texture so the logotype will not crumple. White is like the 42mm white dial. The silver dial is something else. The plan was no texture for white, and white as soft matt silver, but it came out like this anyway, small eyes are shiny silver now. That looks cool though. We think the vintage white cosmos was some matt silver white mix, hard to tell. We have a lot of them in bad, or good, but not in perfect mint condition.

· Registered
Strela Cosmos 40mm
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello

What is the face/dial materia made of ? ...and is it shiny or mat finish ?

Thankyou
These dials all have sample status. These are not the final dials. But some are pretty close.

Tribute and Civil have a matt look, but still a little bit matt reflection. More white than pearl atm.

One of the black Cosmos CYB/LAB can has a very slight texture with a bit of shine. We always see it as a mix between oily and asphalt concrete, very subtle though. That is how most of the black vintage 3017 look like. At least from our perspective. The second black Cosmos sample is very similar matt to our 42mm Cosmos Strela.

The white Cosmos was planned as matt white with silver reflex. What we have now, is a white dial like our 42mm white Cosmos and a very textured silver one like the new textured black sample, but with silver. That is way too much. The interesting part is the semi shiny small eyes what I think. That looks cool. The small red hands look pretty flash on that. So maybe it is a good idea to try to get a matt white silver slight reflex dial with the semi shiny small eyes for the new white Cosmos CYW/LAW.

· Registered
2,420 Posts
Thanks. It was and is a long way to there, and we don't even think it is over now at all. We think the older 38 Strelas will age with dignity and the newer watches are still fresh and are something totally else.
Thank you for the very thorough response. I much look forward to the Russian "gems" you may release in the future, and also support this inevitable endeavor into the Chinese reality of modern watch movements.

I find your suggestion of a raw ST19 very interesting, especially with wanting to combine it with a display back, something others would shun. I wouldn't consider the decorated movement too fancy for a Strela, although if you could exclude blued screws that would bring it more in line with the 3017.

Last, I just noticed, shouldn't it be "тахиметр"?

· Registered
Strela Cosmos 40mm
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Quite interesting but what is the thickness of the watch? It looks very tall...
It's thick. Yes. The current fitted double domed 2,5mm watch crystal makes it even thicker... Nice magnifying glass. We look into the alternatives at the moment. 10 ATM is one reason for the thickness, the possibility to use the automatic ST1940 too adds a few mm on top (0,3mm? Need to check). I think when we find a matching crystal it will be a few mm's thinner. Maybe the case back has minimal potential as well, but that will be it. I need the drawings and a caliper to check measurements. I can tell some dimensions later.

I wear it on a leather nato at the moment that adds even more. However, I feel more and more comfortable, the longer I wear it, even with the double domed crystal.

· Registered
1,657 Posts
These dials all have sample status. These are not the final dials. But some are pretty close.

Tribute and Civil have a matt look, but still a little bit matt reflection. More white than pearl atm.

One of the black Cosmos CYB/LAB can has a very slight texture with a bit of shine. We always see it as a mix between oily and asphalt concrete, very subtle though. That is how most of the black vintage 3017 look like. At least from our perspective. The second black Cosmos sample is very similar matt to our 42mm Cosmos Strela.

The white Cosmos was planned as matt white with silver reflex. What we have now, is a white dial like our 42mm white Cosmos and a very textured silver one like the new textured black sample, but with silver. That is way too much. The interesting part is the semi shiny small eyes what I think. That looks cool. The small red hands look pretty flash on that. So maybe it is a good idea to try to get a matt white silver slight reflex dial with the semi shiny small eyes for the new white Cosmos CYW/LAW.
Thank you :)

· Registered
10,215 Posts
I wear it on a leather nato at the moment that adds even more. However, I feel more and more comfortable, the longer I wear it, even with the double domed crystal.
I understand it might be comfortable for you if you have a large wrist and a lot of people like thick watches to increase the "wrist presence" so to say, but please take into account some customers would prefer a slimmer profile more in line with the vintage ones that are very thin and comfortable to wear.

These are mine:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

While I appreciate the attempt to design a case similar to the original one (unlike all the reissues we have seen so far) IMO the watch would look even better if you trim 2 or 3 mm of thickness, and perhaps you might keep this case for the auto version where a 40mm X 15 mm (even it looks taller than 15mm) case would make more sense, again IMO.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.