WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi subforum. Does anyway own the new 40mm Strelas with the ST19 from Poljot24?

From reading online it appears the YL/JK Strelas are of undisclosed origin for both parts and assembly. There is no concrete info on where parts are made and assembled apart from ST19 being a "Sea-gull" movement although I suspect these ST19s are actually made not by Tianjin factory since Sea-gull's own ST19 have slightly different finishes and decorations compared to these newer ST19s which have been proliferating in recent years due to the popularity of an inexpensive column wheel chronograph.

Anyway I'm here to ask if anyone here has bought either the 40mm ST19 powered neo-Strelas or the 38mm/42mm 3133 powered Strelas also of questionable provenance. What did you think of the quality compared to other watches? Did you test the claimed 3atm, 5atm, 10atm WR? Did you have any issues with the watches or found any inconsistencies? For example I've noticed in Julian's videos on youtube, many 40mm ST19 powered watches don't seem to have movement - dial screws at all. Usually there are two screws fixing the movement and dial to the case. In their absence, wouldn't the movement eventually be moving around just enough to create noise during motion?

Anyway I'd like to know your opinions and any info you can share to enlighten me further.

Pictures would also be appreciated!

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Hi subforum. Does anyway own the new 40mm Strelas with the ST19 from Poljot24?

From reading online it appears the YL/JK Strelas are of undisclosed origin for both parts and assembly. There is no concrete info on where parts are made and assembled apart from ST19 being a "Sea-gull" movement although I suspect these ST19s are actually made not by Tianjin factory since Sea-gull's own ST19 have slightly different finishes and decorations compared to these newer ST19s which have been proliferating in recent years due to the popularity of an inexpensive column wheel chronograph.

Anyway I'm here to ask if anyone here has bought either the 40mm ST19 powered neo-Strelas or the 38mm/42mm 3133 powered Strelas also of questionable provenance. What did you think of the quality compared to other watches? Did you test the claimed 3atm, 5atm, 10atm WR? Did you have any issues with the watches or found any inconsistencies? For example I've noticed in Julian's videos on youtube, many 40mm ST19 powered watches don't seem to have movement - dial screws at all. Usually there are two screws fixing the movement and dial to the case. In their absence, wouldn't the movement eventually be moving around just enough to create noise during motion?

Anyway I'd like to know your opinions and any info you can share to enlighten me further.

Pictures would also be appreciated!
All ST19 are from seagull. I dont know for any other factory that is capable to make ST19. It is chronograph, so it means uber complications...Only big ones can make mechanical chronographs today.

Послато са SM-N950F помоћу Тапатока

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,419 Posts
I agree. The movement is definitely from Sea-Gull. I thought that all ST19s were made in the Tianjin factory, but I have not read any recent calibre/factory lists for Sea-Gull. As for where the watch is assembled, if there are no inscriptions to offer a clue, the quickest solution would be to ask Julian Kampmann.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. I said the ST19 may be different because my Sea-gull ST19 is different in finish and feels smoother than the ST19 in my Red Star 1963 chronograph. Everyone calls that watch the Sea-gull reissue when it is not and there is a lot of confusion there but doesn't matter. Most new ST19s may indeed by Sea-gull products like you say but with updated finish. The feeling of the mechanism could just be because one is more well made than the other.

No one here has bought one of these new Strelas?

·
Registered
6,791 Posts
I have heard that It is common for manufacturers to finish outsourced movements to suit their needs. Could be the case here as well and would explain the difference you’re seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Even if I go a bit BEYOND my professional limit here, this is what I tell:

We use the standard Sea-Gull ST1901 and recently the automatic version ST1940 in a smaller series and we are very happy with the quality so far. Precision is outstanding and more constant to Poljot. Even if the Tianjin factory has a high yearly output you need to order the chrono movements many months ahead. I asked them years ago if they could make undecorated versions for us and it looked good they would. Sadly a factory engineer stopped that approach. We really loved the idea of having these movements not decorated and not finished at all. Sadly that did not work out. We are not aware of any Sea-Gull ST19 chronograph clone and definitely, there are no 3133 clones around either. We would be the first ones to test these out.

Our movements are always fitted accurate. ST19 or P31. Expect no other noise than ticking.

If you hear something else or no ticking at all, we have a 24-month international warranty. If a customer has issues during that time we fix that inhouse here in Munich. We are accommodating though and leave no one alone with our watches. Usually, we fix everything that stops working or might become way too off on the timegrapher in those 2 years under warranty. After that, we make a regular service or a full overhaul incl. full disassembly and refurbishment and any repairs that come at us for a fair price.

The water-resistance of all models should be no issue. The older 38 mm with 19 mm lugs and the 42 mm Chronos have a basic 3ATM, the newer sapphire 38 mm Chrono with 20mm lugs and our 44 mm alarm/signal Poljot 2612 watches have 5ATM, all Sea-Gull watches have 10 ATM for now, over the years we barely had a handful of watches that came back for water damage and these were mainly because of stretching the limit. We do not recommend to push the limits, but if you have to it should be no problem also.

On a side note about Water resistance: I always wanted to certify all the Agat divers we import and sell as a distributor at the Fraunhofer Institute for a long time now but never found the time. They have a special facility for that purpose. Agat Factory appears not to be able to find a Russian institute that can do this for them. We asked Agat about this for years now. The Agat diver is a serious diver watch not a question, we just do not know how serious for now. When certifying the Agat's to the max I plan to let Fraunhofer also run tests on most of the Strela's as well. Then we know for sure about Agat's and our Strela's as well.

For the origin of this and that I think I stated that somewhere here before so the following info is nothing new. Most watch brands companies and manufacturers will not tell specifics about details if you ask them. Some do. Perhaps the microbrand movement changed that over the last few years. The ST19 series is not manufactured here in Munich if you want to know that. Also not by Sea-Gull factory itself but by a factory that we and diverse other brands trust to make a high-quality product for the thing we care about. Watches. Our first-generation 38 mm Strela's were made by Poljot. Second-generation 38 mm Strela's were made by MakTime along with all our 31mm movements. We had a monthly contingent movement deal with Mr. Makarov over many years. After the MakTime bankruptcy, of course, we had to shift to another direction and source parts elsewhere. Ever since we are assembling all Strela's with Russian movements here ourselves in the center of Munich.

Well, this became much longer than the intended 1st paragraph. Hope that is ok. Have a good rest of the year ya all.

Ole Geisselbrecht
Product Manager
Strela-Watch

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
I asked them years ago if they could make undecorated versions for us and it looked good they would. Sadly a factory engineer stopped that approach. We really loved the idea of having these movements not decorated and not finished at all. Sadly that did not work out. We are not aware of any Sea-Gull ST19 chronograph clone and definitely, there are no 3133 clones around either. We would be the first ones to test these out.
To be honest I would have preferred a non decorated ST19 as the "decorations" are quite tacky. But besides that it´s a good movement.

My only criticism to your new Strelas is the thickness: 14mm for handwinding and 16mm for auto seem excessive. Any plan to trim them down?

I agree. The movement is definitely from Sea-Gull. I thought that all ST19s were made in the Tianjin factory, but I have not read any recent calibre/factory lists for Sea-Gull. As for where the watch is assembled, if there are no inscriptions to offer a clue, the quickest solution would be to ask Julian Kampmann.
My understanding was that not all St19s were built in Tianjin...for instance the quality feel of the pushers of my D304 is very different from my Alpha Paul Newman...the latter feels loose. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Even if I goes a bit BEYOND my professional limit this is what I tell:

We use the standard Sea-Gull ST1901 and recently the automatic version ST1940 in a smaller series and we are very happy with the quality so far. Precision is outstanding and more constant to Poljot. Even if the Tianjin factory has a high yearly output you need to order the chrono movements many months ahead. I asked them years ago if they could make undecorated versions for us and it looked good they would. Sadly a factory engineer stopped that approach. We really loved the idea of having these movements not decorated and not finished at all. Sadly that did not work out. We are not aware of any Sea-Gull ST19 chronograph clone and definitely, there are no 3133 clones around either. We would be the first ones to test these out.

Our movements are always fitted accurate. ST19 or P31. Expect no other noise than ticking.

If you hear something else or no ticking at all, we have a 24-month international warranty. If a customer has issues during that time we fix that inhouse here in Munich. We are accommodating though and leave no one alone with our wasche's. Usually, we fix everything that stops working or might become way too off on the timegrapher in those 2 years under warranty. After that, we make a regular service or a full overhaul incl. full disassembly and refurbishment and any repairs that come at us for a fair price.

The water-resistance of all models should be no issue. The older 38 mm with 19 mm lugs and the 42 mm Chronos have a basic 3ATM, the newer sapphire 38 mm Chrono with 20mm lugs and our 44 mm alarm/signal Poljot 2612 watches have 5ATM, all Sea-Gull watches have 10 ATM for now, over the years we barely had a handful of watches that came back for water damage and these were mainly because of stretching the limit. We do not recommend to push the limits, but if you have to it should be no problem also.

On a side note about Water resistance: I always wanted to certify all the Agat divers we import and sell as a distributor at the Fraunhofer Institute for a long time now but never found the time. They have a special facility for that purpose. Agat Factory appears not to be able to find a Russian institute that can do this for them. We asked Agat about this for years now. The Agat diver is a serious diver watch not a question, we just do not know how serious for now. When certifying the Agat's to the max I plan to let Fraunhofer also run tests on most of the Strela's as well. Then we know for sure about Agat's and our Strela's as well.

For the origin of this and that I think I stated that somewhere here before so the following info is nothing new. Most watch brands companies and manufacturers will not tell specifics about details if you ask them. Some do. Perhaps the microbrand movement changed that over the last few years. The ST19 series is not manufactured here in Munich if you want to know that. Also not by Sea-Gull factory itself but by a factory that we and diverse other brands trust to make a high-quality product for the thing we care about. Watches. Our first-generation 38 mm Strela's were made by Poljot. Second-generation 38 mm Strela's were made by MakTime along with all our 31mm movements. We had a monthly contingent movement deal with Mr. Makarov over many years. After the MakTime bankruptcy, of course, we had to shift to another direction and source parts elsewhere. Ever since we are assembling all Strela's with Russian movements here ourselves in the center of Munich.

Well, this became much longer than the intended 1st paragraph. Hope that is ok. Have a good rest of the year ya all.

Ole Geisselbrecht
Product Manager
Strela-Watch
The ST19 series is not manufactured here in Munich if you want to know that. Also not by Sea-Gull factory itself but by a factory that we and diverse other brands trust to make a high-quality product for the thing we care about.

Is it Red Star? If it is, that is 100% good recommendation..

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
To be honest I would have preferred a non decorated ST19 as the "decorations" are quite tacky. But besides that it´s a good movement.

My only criticism to your new Strelas is the thickness: 14mm for handwinding and 16mm for auto seem excessive. Any plan to trim them down?

My understanding was that not all St19s were built in Tianjin...for instance the quality feel of the pushers of my D304 is very different from my Alpha Paul Newman...the latter feels loose. Am I wrong?
I believe that pushers can be from different producers. But movement is always seagulll.

Although, pushers on my Alpha Paul Newman are excellent, but that is risk when you buy such low cost watches - somethimes you get treasure, sometimes not....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts