WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new SubC (124060) is running slow. The first day I had it, it was -2.0 spd–just within spec. Now, after about 10 days, it is running -3.5 spd. That’s after 24 hour/day wear during that time.

1. How likely is it to magically speed up as I wear it more?

2. I hate to send it back already and wait weeks for them to “fix” it. Has anybody regulated their own? I’ve regulated many watches and am comfortable doing it. If I open it to regulate it, does that void the warranty? All I want to do is speed it up a bit.

Just my luck, the last two watches I’ve bought (the Sub and a Tudor) are both slow, which drives me bananas. Why can’t I get one that’s running 2 spd fast???? Is that too much to ask?

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Yes it will void warranty if you open the case back and start messing with the movement.

So after 10 days you are 35 seconds slow in total? By definition of the superlative chronometer certification of +/-2 sec a day it's out of spec and I'd let the AD weigh in. It'd be more telling once it's on a timegrapher and able to see the rate in different position. Hard to tell why it's off without it.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it will void warranty if you open the case back and start messing with the movement.

So after 10 days you are 35 seconds slow in total? By definition of the superlative chronometer certification of +/-2 sec a day it's out of spec and I'd let the AD weigh in. It'd be more telling once it's on a timegrapher and able to see the rate in different position. Hard to tell why it's off without it.
I have a timegrapher. The first day I had it, these were the measurements:

DU: +3.0
CU: +0.5
DD: +3.0
CD: -3.0
6U: -2.0
12U: +0.0

I’m away from home and can’t repeat them just yet—soon. But based on its accuracy the last few days, I expect it to be worse.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems to me that the way I wear watches, the CD and 6U positions tend to be the most predictive for my actual observed timekeeping. Both are slow in my case.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I have a timegrapher. The first day I had it, these were the measurements:

DU: +3.0
CU: +0.5
DD: +3.0
CD: -3.0
6U: -2.0
12U: +0.0

I’m away from home and can’t repeat them just yet—soon. But based on its accuracy the last few days, I expect it to be worse.
I see. I would not have expected +3 in one position and -3 in another. Would be curious to see what it is now. Whether the rates are spread further apart or if the watch slowed down overall.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take it back to the AD and have them send it off for service.

After spending that kind of money for a watch that’s under warranty, why would you even entertain opening it up yourself?
Because I can and don’t want to wait weeks to get it back. I’m just considering. I haven’t decided for sure.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here’s a screenshot of my tracking over 4+ days. Note that two nights I put it face up on my dresser to see if it could catch up. By my estimation, if I had worn it instead it would have been -2.5 spd. But in the last day since I started a new timing test, it’s -3.6 spd.

Slope Font Plot Rectangle Parallel

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see. I would not have expected +3 in one position and -3 in another. Would be curious to see what it is now. Whether the rates are spread further apart or if the watch slowed down overall.
I’ll tell you in a couple of days when I get back to my timegrapher.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To take the measurements above, I let the watch sit in the stated position for a few minutes and then average over a couple of minutes.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
That's a surprisingly large delta for a 3200 series. And as you note, with CD that deep in the red you'll probably net out a negative ADR on most days. You could always rest it in a horizontal at night if the daily rate really bugs you, but you shouldn't have to rely on nighstand regulation to keep a modern Rolex accurate. Given that she's probably running outside Rolex's internal spec (+/-2) at this point, I'd say yeah go ahead and take it in. Would not advise trying to regulate yourself unless you have a lot of experience with free sprung balances (and good tools, of course).

·
Premium Member
Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch "The Mullet"
4,794 Posts
My new SubC (124060) is running slow. The first day I had it, it was -2.0 spd–just within spec. Now, after about 10 days, it is running -3.5 spd. That’s after 24 hour/day wear during that time.

1. How likely is it to magically speed up as I wear it more?

2. I hate to send it back already and wait weeks for them to “fix” it. Has anybody regulated their own? I’ve regulated many watches and am comfortable doing it. If I open it to regulate it, does that void the warranty? All I want to do is speed it up a bit.

Just my luck, the last two watches I’ve bought (the Sub and a Tudor) are both slow, which drives me bananas. Why can’t I get one that’s running 2 spd fast???? Is that too much to ask?
Heh, seems fine to me. Leave it in each orientation overnight and record the result. Then, use the best overnight orientation that counteracts the speed when wearing it. Once you know the orientation you should keep the watch overnight. You should easily be able to keep it within 1s/day. I also have a timegrapher, but you need to know how to use it and it's not as good as testing overnight.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Heh, seems fine to me. Leave it in each orientation (6) overnight and record the result. Then, use the best overnight orientation that counteracts the speed when wearing it. Once you know the orientation you should keep the watch overnight. You should easily be able to keep it within 1s/day.
Read all the posts. I tried that. Didn’t work.

·
Premium Member
Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch "The Mullet"
4,794 Posts
I did read the posts. You didn't try every position overnight. If you don't know how to use a timegrapher, you'll try only the wrong positions. The timegrapher is only a tool, try all 6 positions overnight when you're not wearing your watch.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Wear it as usual. Wait a month, Measure the time delta. If it's over spec then take back and share findings. Daily measurements from the end user may not be so helpful to the shop.

The end result will be that the watch may be adjusted by a Rolex accredited place if out of spec. Can take some time to fix.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Do not try to regulate it yourself. Send it in for service. It’ll take about 4 weeks but will be worth the wait to be happy in the end. Guys are waiting years for a Sub and you’ll have a perfect one in 4 weeks. You won’t regret it!

·
Registered
39,126 Posts
Are you really that bothered about a second or so a day?

Ive had some real time critical jobs over the years, but we always dealt with minutes not seconds, unless you are timing rocket burns?

But it’s your watch, so if it really bugs you send it back to be adjusted, but be prepared for some +/- deviation on even the best adjusted watch, unless you wanna go quartz or spring drive.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts