WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Solid Grammar.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
Your solid contribution has been very welcome. “Don’t worry about accuracy just use your phone” on a watch forum. Clearly this stuff is all to show off to people and not to actually use for the intended purpose. Go spend your time at a fashion forum.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Your solid contribution has been very welcome. “Don’t worry about accuracy just use your phone” on a watch forum. Clearly this stuff is all to show off to people and not to actually use for the intended purpose. Go spend your time at a fashion forum.
I could care less about showing off. I've always been a watch enthusiast and worrying about loosing a couple of seconds means absolutely nothing to me.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Your movement is fine, if anything has a higher amp than the average. I bet straight after full wind you’d be showing 300+. If that regulation bothers you get it tweaked. I’d get a bit annoyed with -7 per day as that would mean almost a minute slow after a week. At the same time every time rsc touch my watches they leave a new mark so yeah line ball call.
How this movement was cased and adjusted to -2/+2…. and only runs -7 for me is beyond my comprehension. Of course, Superlative isn’t part of my vocabulary either. So, what do I know?

I’m disappointed with the rate, means re-setting the time once a week for me, thus far. No doubt the RSC will adjust but I have had the “minor issue causes a bigger issue” experience with another watch brand. Going to let it ride as the 32xx saga unfolds…

Thanks to gumpy-AU and Archer for the expertise, very much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
343 Posts
I could care less about showing off. I've always been a watch enthusiast and worrying about loosing a couple of seconds means absolutely nothing to me.

But a movement that’s clearly malfunctioning doesn’t bother you either? You wear a watch and don’t care if it’s running properly or not?

I see that you fly? Please don’t treat the operation of your plane with this mentality… or if you do fly alone… bad stuff can happen.

·
Registered
343 Posts
How this movement was cased and adjusted to -2/+2…. and only runs -7 for me is beyond my comprehension. Of course, Superlative isn’t part of my vocabulary either. So, what do I know?

I’m disappointed with the rate, means re-setting the time once a week for me, thus far. No doubt the RSC will adjust but I have had the “minor issue causes a bigger issue” experience with another watch brand. Going to let it ride as the 32xx saga unfolds…

Thanks to gumpy-AU and Archer for the expertise, very much appreciated.

Hey Kjo the regulation is done by a human and these things happen. Literally all my watches have imperfections… my DD40 the hour hand is misaligned by 2 mins =) It is what it is, no way I’m letting them touch the watch for that. I have watches that run +13 seconds a day from the manufacturer. To be honest when they run fast they don’t bother me but running slow does. ESP if it’s like 7 a day as like you say it means once a week correction. That’s out of COSC let alone Rolex’s own standards…

Really not sure what you do with it, but at least you know your movement itself is fine. Quite healthy actually for the 32xx series.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Heh, seems fine to me. Leave it in each orientation overnight and record the result. Then, use the best overnight orientation that counteracts the speed when wearing it. Once you know the orientation you should keep the watch overnight. You should easily be able to keep it within 1s/day. I also have a timegrapher, but you need to know how to use it and it's not as good as testing overnight.
Would this work with other movements or just Rolex?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Would this work with other movements or just Rolex?
All mech movements except tourbillons. They have differences in timing based on the orientation you leave it. Generally but not always dial up or down are the fastest positions. Test it out.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
I'm in the same boat on the fast vs. slow. I'd rather it +6spd than -1spd. Fast is easy to correct; slow is not. I don't mind each morning pulling out the crown for a couple of seconds and then going on my merry way. Resetting the time is a pain.

@Archer @gumpy-au What about having a local watchmaker (one that knows Rolex) regulate it vice sending it off to an RSC? That way you get some control over what they do. Is that ill-advised?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm in the same boat on the fast vs. slow. I'd rather it +6spd than -1spd. Fast is easy to correct; slow is not. I don't mind each morning pulling out the crown for a couple of seconds and then going on my merry way. Resetting the time is a pain.

@Archer @gumpy-au What about having a local watchmaker (one that knows Rolex) regulate it vice sending it off to an RSC? That way you get some control over what they do. Is that ill-advised?
You’ll lose warranty, if there is some fix Rolex is silently applying you won’t benefit from it. If you choose to have it looked at 100% to RSC during warranty period.

·
Registered
8,791 Posts

Not difficult for any competent watchmaker to do, but if Rolex finds out, you will void the warranty.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 · (Edited)
@Archer @gumpy-au @Kjo43

Update. After 24 hours of now wear, I repeated the measurements above on the timegrapher, same procedure as before.

PositionAmplitude (deg)Beat error (ms)Rate (spd)
DU2490.00.9
DD2390.00.1
CD2140.1-4.4
CU2060.1-4.6
6UForgot to update this0.1-5.1
12U2090.1-4.1

Net results:

Overall rate decreased from -1.1 to -2.9. Amplitudes decreased by 20-30 degrees. Some amplitudes close to 200 degrees. Crown up decreased by more than 4 spd. Delta went from 6.6 to 6.0

My prediction of what you (Archer and Gumpy-au) will say is, it's probably within spec, and not to worry. Watch if for a while. Repeat the tests again in several weeks or a few months.

Based on these results, I can probably wear the watch for one day out of every three or four without resetting the time: that is, wear it for a day and have it lose 3-4 seconds, then let it sit a few days dial up to catch back up.

Or I can resign myself to resetting the time every couple of days. Or I can learn to live with my watch not being within a few seconds of the actual time.

Nah, that last one ain't gonna happen--at least not anytime soon :)

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Excuse the dirty watch, the thing is almost every watch has this type of misalignment if you look close enough… I’ve learnt to accept them…
View attachment 16365836
Sorry, can you elaborate on “almost every watch as this type of misalignment”. That’s not true.
My Speedy is dead on every hour; same with my Explorer 124270 and previously my 114060. My Santos is also bang on in alignment.
The only watch I’ve ever had any misalignment on is my 116000 and even then, it was less than a minute off.

The misalignment on your DD is way off imo and no way I’d accept that.
Don’t lump in every watch.

·
Registered
343 Posts
@Archer @gumpy-au @Kjo43

Update. After 24 hours of now wear, I repeated the measurements above on the timegrapher, same procedure as before.

PositionAmplitude (deg)Beat error (ms)Rate (spd)
DU2490.00.9
DD2390.00.1
CD2140.1-4.4
CU2060.1-4.6
6U2350.1-5.1
12U2090.1-4.1

Net results:

Overall rate decreased from -1.1 to -2.9. Amplitudes decreased by 20-30 degrees. Some amplitudes close to 200 degrees. Crown up decreased by more than 4 spd. Delta went from 6.6 to 6.0

My prediction of what you (Archer and Gumpy-au) will say is, it's probably within spec, and not to worry. Watch if for a while. Repeat the tests again in several weeks or a few months.

Based on these results, I can probably wear the watch for one day out of every three or four without resetting the time: that is, wear it for a day and have it lose 3-4 seconds, then let it sit a few days dial up to catch back up.

Or I can resign myself to resetting the time every couple of days. Or I can learn to live with my watch not being within a few seconds of the actual time.

Nah, that last one ain't gonna happen--at least not anytime soon :)
Yep you’re all good just set the watch a min fast I guess so it doenst need adjusting for awhile? Enjoy.

when I sent my watch in for warranty I asked to set it fast if possible and they did.Came back +4 dial up and runs about 2.5 on the wrist. Just do that if you ever need to go in to RSC. Honestly though hope it is in 10 years time not anytime soon.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Sorry, can you elaborate on “almost every watch as this type of misalignment”. That’s not true.
My Speedy is dead on every hour; same with my Explorer 124270 and previously my 114060. My Santos is also bang on in alignment.
The only watch I’ve ever had any misalignment on is my 116000 and even then, it was less than a minute off.

The misalignment on your DD is way off imo and no way I’d accept that.
Don’t lump in every watch.

Well lucky you. Don’t be upset by the comment I have over 20 watches including omegas gs nomos. All are a fraction off here and there. Even my 321 Ed white. Yeah the dd is off more than normal. Doesn’t overly bother me. Reminds me a human made it.

when I was young these things would absolutely drive me crazy though.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Have you tried demagnetizing the watch? It helped with accuracy on almost every watch I have. On another note, should the beat error be zero on a brand new Rolex movement?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Have you tried demagnetizing the watch? It helped with accuracy on almost every watch I have. On another note, should the beat error be zero on a brand new Rolex movement?
The Sub is supposed to be resistant to magnetic fields. It’s one of the defining characteristics of the Rolex movement. I couldn’t immediately find the spec for the field strength resistance, but I would be surprised if that were an issue.

81 - 100 of 114 Posts