WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a very old pocket wtch that was presented to my great grandfather in 1904 for winning a rifle competition while he served in the french millitart it is marked 0.900 and is silver in color the movement number is 2451 any info would be great it is a fantastic looking pocket watch ( What do I have here anything special ?)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ww1 Marius Favre pocket watch any info would be great thanke in advance

this was my great great grandfathers watch he was given this watch when he won a rifle contest when he served with the french army in 1904. My question is I know nothing about old pocket watches as you can see the crystal is missing other than that everything works great. is it worth putting a new crystal in it and if so I assume I would have to send it someware how much sould somthing like this be insured for. there are seeral marking on the cast including 0.900 I assume that means it is silver
thanks in advance for any info from you experts !

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: ww1 Marius Favre pocket watch any info would be great thanke in advance

the movement is gold in color and is marked with the number 2451
again thanks

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,012 Posts
Re: ww1 Marius Favre pocket watch any info would be great thanke in advance

Looks rather nice - except the minute hand is bent. A movement picture would help a lot.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
18,166 Posts

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,012 Posts
Hmmm, I can't identify the movement but others may well be able to do so. It is definitely of high quality: temperature compensation balance with screws, capped escapement wheel, Breguet overcoil..... Plus it seems to be fully crown wound and set, not yet standard around 1904.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
115 Posts
It tells you on the movement who made the watch.
This watch was produced by Marius Favre & Cie, Geneve

According to Pritchard:
Marius Favre lived from 1860 to 1914
His firm presented 18 watches to the Society of Arts Competition at the Geneva Observatory in 1893 and gained 18 Certivicates and 17 Awards as well as a series Price.
In 1900 it won again the first 12 priczes. It had a remarkable consistency in regulation. It used a brass and steel compensated ballance in its timepieces.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
is this the type of watch that is worth putting in new crystal and if si i would have to send it out how much should I insure it for ?? thanks in advance

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Unless you also service it to prevent it from destroying itself, I would not bother putting on a new crystal. That said, a crystal is fairly cheap... $25-$75 if done separately I would guess... the price of the crystal if done as part of the service.

It is not so valuable as to require a separate rider on most homeowner policies with which I am familiar.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts