WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone- I have been a lurker for quite a while so thanks in advance for all the helpful advice I gained. I am now a proud owner of a PO and love it. I was taken by the orange bezel but got the black because of the deal which leads me to 3 quick questions if ya don’t mind:

1. I bought the watch from a Denver A.D. but w/o box or cards and an in-house warranty. Hence a better than average price. It was sold as brand new, not pre-owned. Anyone heard of this practice before? I did call an A.D. in CA and he verified the watch is in the Omega database as a 2200.50.100 (or 00) and has a 2500C which sounds about right.

2. Can you tell year of mfg. from serial? Mine starts in 819

3. I see inserts on EBay and all sorts of gimmicks, but has anyone actually changed bezels (or inserts) successfully or is it not advised (even by a reputable watchmaker of which I know none)

Thanks.. I have walked in to buy a Tag twice and walked out with an Omega (my first was a Quartz Seamaster) so I am definitely an Omega guy at this point. Next = De Ville but that’s another blog..

(I tried to upload a pic of the watch (stock) so in case there is any conflicting information. As near as I can tell, the model number may indicate bezel color but not the orange numerals?)

Thank for any advice and help !!! Look forward to learning a lot here..

Michael

Denver

Attachments

·
Registered
862 Posts

I've never heard of the AD practice you mentioned. It doesn't even make sense unless their AD status got pulled.

The warranty is through Omega so there's no reason for an AD to be able to sell you a watch cheaper by instituting their own warranty over the manufacturer's. if anything, it would make it more expensive since its adding to the dealer's costs should something go wrong.

Aluminum bezels are pretty easy to swap out by any competent watchmaker.

3. Not sure about serial numbers with recent releases but if its an old style PO with 2500c movement I'd guess its from 2009-2010.

Others might have a better idea.

Congrats on the purchase!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cuts.... They had about 15 watches in this category, one was a Tag 500M that I actually went there to look at. They have about 5-6 stores here in Colorado and stated that the box, cards etc could not be located and those type watches all come to this particular store in Denver to be sold at discount. (There could very well be more to this story) Since it is in the database, I'm not too worried as it is an Omega, however should there be a warranty issue, it might be dicey. I was not looking for the watch because it was a bit to pricey for me. So I guess I had to "buy" some risk instead. I have faith in the brand though. Best made (okay bet I can afford) out there... Although browsing the "For Sale" section drives me nuts.... I could be very broke...

·
Registered
652 Posts
1. I bought the watch from a Denver A.D. but w/o box or cards and an in-house warranty. Hence a better than average price. It was sold as brand new, not pre-owned. Anyone heard of this practice before? I did call an A.D. in CA and he verified the watch is in the Omega database as a 2200.50.100 (or 00) and has a 2500C which sounds about right.
I find this very shady behavior by the AD. A new watch should include the full kit (box, papers, cards, manual, hang tags, etc.) as well as full 3-year international warranty from Omega. Even if the model is discontinued, Omega starts the warranty from the moment you buy the watch. As an AD, they have the ability to order new copies of the box/card/manual/etc. if for some these were misplaced.

It sounds like the watch you bought was pre-owned and beyond its original warranty. Even if another customer returned the watch after a short time, it should still carry the remaining Omega international warranty, not an in-house warranty. Are you sure these guys are an AD? Do you have any written proof they they represented this watch to you as new?

Even if the shop had lost its AD status, I believe the watches would still carry the full Omega warranty. This is very strange ...

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'm not too worried as it is an Omega, however should there be a warranty issue, it might be dicey.
It's pretty clear that the watch is genuine, but is not covered by Omega's warranty (hence the in-house warranty). If you want it serviced by Omega, you'll have to pay just like you would for an old watch beyond its warranty coverage.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I never meant to imply there should be concern that the watch is not genuine. I have no reason to believe its not.

I do have a hard time believing an AD in good standing would be selling new watches without the manufacturer warranty.

I have a strong suspicion either their AD status got pulled or the watch was pre-owned. It could still be "new" but perhaps it was a returned item.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Display watch?
But the display watches should be pulled from regular stock. The dealer should still have the boxes etc., and when sold, it would be considered "new" carrying a full 3-year (for the 2500 PO) Omega international warranty. Even dealers that have their AD status pulled are able to sell their existing stock with full Omega warranty. Something weird is going on here ... :think:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input. The dealer shows up on the Omega site as an AD. And the watch needed sized, there was a blue protective strip on the clasp and I can't find a mark on it. However my in-store warranty does state "certified pre-owned" now that I review it. Basically they will refund me or fix it depending on what's up for a year. So my guess is somebody has those cards and from what I gather on this forum, I'm up a creek w/o them warranty wise so what I have is better than nothing. Now if I ever decide to trade up or sell, the absence of all but a receipt will hurt me no doubt. But for now, I'm a pretty happy camper...

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
that is a 45.5mm? then the model number with orange numbers and bracelet should be 2200.51.00.
the white number version is 2200.50.00.
and as been mentioned, i too agree - shady dealer.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I don't know... I would have instantly walked away from this dealer. I'm sorry, but if you're spending good money on something, you better be smart about it. This dealer sounds very, very shady.
If I were you, I would check what is covered in that warranty. You wouldn't want the movement to stop working in a 2 weeks, which can certainly happen, only to find out the warranty doesn't cover this sort of thing.
As someone else already said, offering an in-house warranty would increase the price, not lower it.

No offense, but you could have purchased a used Planet Ocean on these forums with full kit, remaining warranty, and probably pay the same as you paid.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
Apologies for the overly brief post previously; was typing from phone and got hit by laziness.

Right.
As some of us know, watches are sent to dealers sealed in little plastic boxes. The customer sales boxes and instructions and whatnot are packaged and sent as separate items, although I imagine that the cards get sent together with the watches.

With this in mind, it strikes me as being plausible for a dealer to not put any care in maintaining a set of boxes and books for what was going to be a display model that was or has spent many years in a window. In that case, it also wouldn't surprise me if the cards' location was forgotten during the watch's tenure as customer test-drive example.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
My connie has an 81 and its a 2006- 2007 :) Hope that helped a bit, it might be a bit diffrent since this is a PO, but I beleive it should be around that ballpark.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks on previous post, this is a 2200.51 (not 50). I probably could of got a great deal here as well mjrchabot, but local you at least have some recourse. I saw that even this site has a list of less than honorable souls who have been part of some shady deals. And not really knowing anybody I was wary of a long distance transaction. I guess it really does not help much to say I got my "shady deal" locally (lol) but I can drive down there right now if I do have an issue. They also have a corporate office as they are owned by Sterling jewelers. Which I think is the largest in the U.S.? I was told today it was a 2008, which sounds about right based on the info. in this string. So far so good, but only time will tell which is fitting. In the meantime I'm reading about bands, Bezels.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
A number of possible scenarios as to why you don't have the warranty cards.

1. -actually, it'll play better if I set it out like this. Not entirely screenplay format, but it'll have to do;

INT: WATCH STORE--MORNING

The store is fairly quiet for this time of day. There's a salesman behind the counter, filling out a repair docket. The door opens and in walks a customer. By the way he's walking, and the expression on his face, he looks ticked off. He approaches the salesman at the counter and fishes an Omega Planet Ocean from his jacket pocket before placing it on the counter-top.

SALESMAN
How can I help y-!

CUSTOMER
This watch is crap! It's now the second time
in less than a year that I'm bringing it back
to you. I don't want it anymore, I want a
f****** refund or I'm going to Consumer Affairs
with this and I'll make sure that they rain
merry hell down on your store. Where's the
manager? I wanna speak to somebody who earns
more than you do.

SALESMAN
Well, I think I can find a twelve year-old
newspaper boy somewhere, but the Manager's
in a meeting. In the meantime, I can help
you with this.

CUSTOMER
I don't want this watch, I want a refund. Or
another watch from another brand.

SALESMAN (tentatively)
Okay, did you bring the warranty cards and
box with you?

The customer explodes.

CUSTOMER
NO!! I DID NOT BRING THE WARRANTY CARDS AND
BOX WITH ME!!! I don't even know where the
hell they are and I couldn't care less. I
want a new watch or a refund and I'm not
leaving until I get one or the other.

It all pretty much goes to hell after that until the customer gets what he wants. The store will then take the defective watch back and send it off as a store repair, claiming that they cannot find the warranty cards 'just yet'.
The watch gets repaired, and the store then sells it super-cheap without a box and warranty papers because the customer didn't bring them back. The store could/should order a fresh set of cards, but Omega now charges $500 for a replacement set. No joke, gang. Five hundred bucks. Here in Australia. This is to help store staff to be a little more awake and alert when grabbing the warranty cards for a customer at the point-of-sale. To make sure that the correct cards go with the watch when it's sold.

2. The correct warranty cards got sold with a different Omega watch. This refers back to the alert & awake scenario that I mentioned above. Sometimes, a newish staff member will grab the wrong cards because they didn't match the serial number on the watch with the serial number on the cards. The numbers may have been identical except for one digit and this is where mistakes occur.

Your watch sounds like it may have been pre-owned, as you stated, but I'm surprised the store couldn't at least give you a box for the watch.

Aside from all of this, if you are concerned, take it to Omega and have it checked out to make sure it's all running as it should. The watch is legit, but it may have had a 'colourful' past.

Either way, congrats on the Planet Ocean, don't let any of what we've said take the shine off your purchase, and welcome to the forums.

Oh yeah, one more thing; I sold Omega watches at an AD for twelve years. Just to put it into context.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Teeritz. Not only is the above plausible, it's colorful and enlightening as well. Thank you. 500 bucks for cards! I would love to take to Omega to get a test but not sure where that would be. The AD where I started this journey are as dumb as a box of rocks. I am looking for a good watchmaker locally but not sure if that exists either (I was entertaining a new bezel but have sort of given up on that for now). Would love to get my hands on one of those boxes that give you a read out +/- seconds, beat count etc. as that would be a good place to start. So far the watch looks great and seems to be very accurate. It did stop 4 days after purchase but I only wear it at work so 9-10 hours is probably not enough activity. It was stopped at 0630 when I went to put it on. I must of wound it (hard to tell tactility) as it's running great since. Thanks for the welcome and the post. That's the beauty of a site like this-you can bring the collective experience of many people to one point and learn a lot more in a short span of time then you could learn alone in years. I am enjoying the watch and love the brand. For the $$/value etc. Omega is a great choice. I'll never be able to swing a Hublot Big Bang, Patek or a multitude of other names I can't pronounce...

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
819 is a pretty early PO. It's been sitting a while... 2007 or 2008 maybe.

The fact that the cards and box disappeared isn't "shady" if you're dealing with a legit AD. Stuff happens. If they promised you they'd find them, and sold it for full retail... then it would be a different story. They sold it as pre-owned because they don't have the warranty card. It might have been bought as gift and returned at some point, put in the safe and forgotten.

I won't ask what you paid, but we all probably have a number in mind that makes it worth not having the box and papers. As long as you're happy with the number you paid, thats all that matters.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts