WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 40+ years on this earth I finally decided to buy a G-Shock. Always looked at them and wanted one but never bought one.

So a couple of days ago I took the plunge and jumped right in. I looked at a bunch of them and decided that I wanted the Rangeman. So I started my search. There was only one available locally and the price on it was $300. Not sure I wanted to pay that so I started looking online. I found a price on walmart.com but the watch was out of stock. So I printed out that price and took it to the local clothing store that had it in stock to see if they would match walmart.com's price. Well they did and I came away with my first G-Shock (Rangeman) for less than $200.

And I really like it. So much that I picked up a Baby-G for my girl. Its a BLX102-1. I think she will enjoy it.

I would post a pic but my post count needs to be higher. As soon as I get there I will put it up but I am sure you all know what they look like.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Welcome to watchuseek 77mmbass. Most of the guys here know what a Rangemen is, so hey it's a great buy, especially for less than $200!

We will wait for your pics and the Baby-G.

Where is your home? Country/city?

Regards
Stevie

·
Registered
15 Posts
It took me about 38 years before buying my first G Shock a few years back. I chose the older g9000 Mudman to my beater watch. Annoyingly, the DST changeover dates are not up to date, and this leaves me daydreaming about the more modern Rangeman. Can't wait to see those pics!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am in the Arizona Desert in the U.S.

My girl got me a very nice citizen for Xmas but I can't wear it to work because it will get banged up and it's really a dress watch. So the Rangeman will be my work/ weekend fun watch. It will also be on my wrist when we go scuba diving.

The sad thing is I can't stop playing with it.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
It took me about 38 years before buying my first G Shock a few years back. I chose the older g9000 Mudman to my beater watch. Annoyingly, the DST changeover dates are not up to date, and this leaves me daydreaming about the more modern Rangeman. Can't wait to see those pics!
I didn't know the G-9000 automatically adjusted for DST. On all of my non-atomic Casios, the DST on/off is a manual setting.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the welcome. I am excited to read up on this thing and get used to accessing all the functions. I see many of them being useful in my line of work and play.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. I am excited to read up on this thing and get used to accessing all the functions. I see many of them being useful in my line of work and play.

If you have time, check out fwupow's three GW-9400 YouTube videos.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
I guess 'Welcome' is in order to 77MMbass and ... to D.C. as well !!! :-!:-!:-!

Congrats on the smart shopping tactics. :think: :-!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Sure, I had an idea of what the Rangeman looked like, but that Baby-G is a great looking watch too, with a useful module. If we had a full size G version of that, I would want one. Casio should really look to Baby-G for some more inspiration, imho.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts

I didn't know the G-9000 automatically adjusted for DST. On all of my non-atomic Casios, the DST on/off is a manual setting.
The manual for the G-9000 doesn't mention anything at all about pre-programmed dates for DST, and as we've discussed in many other threads, Casio doesn't program those dates into their watches BECAUSE so many different countries have changed the dates so often in the past.

"Atomic" watches like the Rangeman only change DST settings for the home city and for other cities that are nearby -- in the US it changes DST for all of the North American cities when it receives the radio signal to "spring ahead" or "fall back" but we have to manually change DST settings for Europe and elsewhere.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
"Atomic" watches like the Rangeman only change DST settings for the home city and for other cities that are nearby -- in the US it changes DST for all of the North American cities when it receives the radio signal to "spring ahead" or "fall back" but we have to manually change DST settings for Europe and elsewhere.
The OP who purchased the Rangeman lives in AZ, so I guess he should just turn off DST permanently.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wondered about the time change thing. But I am so used to changing time back and forth in my head it doesn't bother me.

We live on the Arizona/California border and I work in California a lot. So when you have to be somewhere in Cali you have to remember what time of year it is and did we schedule the meeting on AZ time or CA time.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Congrats and welcome! The Rangeman is awesome, good decision for a first G and you got a really great price for it. Be careful of all the threads around here as you'll soon be bitten by the G envy bug and start lining up future purchases...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Be careful of all the threads around here as you'll soon be bitten by the G envy bug and start lining up future purchases...
No kidding -- I found Watchuseek in 2011 because I was looking for a strap for my new G-Shock, the third one I'd bought in almost 20 years. Four years later, I've probably bought 30 more G-Shocks and Pathfinder and "generic" Casio watches, and spent enough on parts that I could have bought a few more. :)

It's FAR too easy to look at all these threads and think "that's a nice looking watch!" and "those are nice features!" and do a little on-line shopping and wind up with a new watch a few days later. ;-)

·
Banned
137 Posts
I am in the Arizona Desert in the U.S.

My girl got me a very nice citizen for Xmas but I can't wear it to work because it will get banged up and it's really a dress watch. So the Rangeman will be my work/ weekend fun watch. It will also be on my wrist when we go scuba diving.

The sad thing is I can't stop playing with it.
It's a good thing you wear it to work everyday so you have a lot of time to play with it but don't get too distracted LOL...Nice watch.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts