WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All. I'm Jay. I'm new to the forum, and to watches. I wanted to make an introduction, tell you about how I got into watches and list some recent models I've been drooling over, to see what your thoughts are about them. :)

Anyway. So, I'm 41, located in NJ, USA. Its where I was born and raised. I've only been into watches for about a year now. Its safe to say I'm already hooked, lol..

Despite being able to afford a luxury high end watch for many years now, I've never been one to really see the value in spending so much on a 'watch'. I had a side table drawer with a bunch of Movado's, a Fossil, a Kenneth Cole, Michael Kors, Guess, a couple of G-Shock's, and a few random no names that were gifts and I liked due to their design, colors and their fashion accessory capabilities. All were battery operated. None had any respectable or valid water resistance, nor a lens that was crystal or scratch resistant, nor were any of them made with any precious metals or high quality materials. AND so they really were just jewelry for me. Still nice pieces from a fashion and design perspective but behind the curtain most if not all were China issue junk. At least to my knowledge they might be. None the less, I have a HUGE obsession with Automatic and Manual watches, I love all watch making, and complications and movements. I'm still learning all the terminology, and everything that there is to know about Horology. But I love it all and I really enjoy reading about new models released and the improvements they made. I could go on and on.. but I don't want to lose your interests. So... :)

Now, despite understanding what having one or many Luxury Watches may have on ones Social 'status'. I didn't necessarily agree with that logic so much, nor did I care for it at all. However, It was that exact societal and peer pressure, that lead me to acquire 'my first luxury watch'. Of course I still did it reluctantly (due to my deep beliefs it was a waste of money) and I did it impulsively and definitely foolishly (in terms of bargain shopping or finding the best deal). It was about 1 yr ago when I made the decision to pull the trigger. and I did so with minimal research on which model it would be and what were any of its special features or complications or power reserve or size, or anything! I literally just asked around about some popular models that were in the main stream at that time, got a referral to an AD from a friend that had been buying watches recently. And I just bought it.

At the time, I had been invited to be a groomsman for my good friends wedding, I wanted to really make an impression and coincidentally I had been loosely considering buying a Rolex around that same time because many of my friends were buying one or more luxury watches. And they were encouraging me to splurge a little, treat myself and get something nice to wear out. I kinda had a very broad price range of what I was willing to spend. I targeted Rolex as it was the one with the most notable status and with the wedding coming up I was motivated to get something flashy and recognizable. I didn't consider how wearable it was, whether or not I wanted it to be a daily (I imagined it wouldn't be worn much due to its HIGH, to me, value and worrying I'd destroy it). I eventually landed on the Batman 2018 model 116710BLNR, I'm happy I did. apparently it was just starting to gain notoriety and it was recently discontinued in the Oyster bracelet variety. I found one New in box for 15k cash. Which ended up being a decent deal, but I probably would have purchased pre-owned for less if I knew then what i know now. because pre-owned is going for a lot more now. Anyway, It didn't take long for me to start learning about what made my watch so special, and that lead to me falling in love with all watches. I purchased a Hublot Big Bang 41mm Carbon Fiber 341.SB.131.RX shortly after that. Love this watch too! I've also purchased some straps for both of them. AND I love switching it up every now and then. see pics :)

What's important to note is that I've somewhat, embraced the status and fashion aspect of owning luxury watches, and at the same time, have learned to appreciate them for what they truly are, which is masterpieces, technological and engineering marvels, works of art, and I believe most importantly than anything, They are incredible tools that do their jobs WELL and Reliably. I have become obsessed with the art of watch making as well. Its really fascinating to me. how these super humans are able to hand build these mini machines while still maintaining such a beautiful appearance and work of art. It often times leaves me speechless. I'm a big time geek when it comes to gadgets and technology, which is why I'm fascinated by Automatic watches. Watches that are self sustaining. Also the reason why I've recently fallen in love with Seiko and Grand Seiko. They innovate at a level that many other watch brands can only aspire to achieve. Honestly I believe they are the worlds best watch makers. AND I challenge ANYONE to change my mind.

My List of watches, that I eventually will acquire and the reason why I want them, is below. Not in this order.

1. Grand Seiko. SBGM235 Elegance Caliber 9S 20th anniversary Limited Edition - Beautiful watch, with a mesmerizing dial, and a really impressive power reserve of 72 hrs. I mostly want this watch because I want to have a nice "White" dial watch in my collection. In addition, its a Limited Edition so it will be extra special for that reason. The Leather strap is nice to me as I typically don't like metal link bands. Its not too bulky and can be worn daily. So this watch really checks off all the boxes, for this category.

2. Grand Seiko SBGA405 Godzilla 65th anniversary anniversary Limited Edition - This watch is very dear to me for a few reasons. I wanted to have something a bit vibrant and bold in my collection so the Blood Red dial and subtle red accents on the scaled watched strap achieve that. Furthermore the bold case, the design of the bezel, the watch hands and indices is very eye catching while still having a sense of subtlety that demands respect. The Spring Drive Movement (it is FACSINATING, my favorite hands down) is one that I've been obsessed with since I learned about it. I vowed to get a watch with this movement and so thankfully this one is sporting it. So it checks off that box. AND Finally there is "Godzilla". Godzilla, is NOT only everything you probably already know about it and more with relation to Japanese folklore and it's cinematic presence, there's also something else relevant about Godzilla and also why its dear to me. That is none other than the Nissan GTR. Yes, "The Car". The Nissan Skyline GTR is and has always been a dream car of mine. I've been lucky enough to own one for about 4 yrs and so this watch is unintentionally a homage to my car, as it is historically dubbed by the world of motorsports as Godzilla due to its OVER WHELMING success in motorsports and how it basically DOMINATED ALL and DESTROYED the competition. And so the comparison was drawn to Godzilla's overwhelming destruction and dominance in Japanese folklore. Not to mention the fact that Nissan was a Japanese Auto Manufacturer, so I'm sure the nickname for the car was justified. But anyway, I LOVE this watch so much and I can't wait to have it.

3. Seiko Astron SSH073 Kintaro Hattori 160th Anniversary Limited Edition. This watch is SICK!! SIMPLY PUT. The ASTRON GPS SOLAR technology seems like its from an Alien world. I love it love it love it!! I wanted something all black with Gold accents. It's also a Limited production that celebrates 160 years since the birth of the founder of Seiko. The tech in this watch is just incredible. I really can't wait to have an ASTRON even if it isn't this one. I have my eye on a back up ASTRON model if this one proves to be elusive. being that its Limited Edition like the other two lol.

4. Rolex Cosmograph Daytona 116500LN "Panda". This watch is just FREAKIN AWESOME! I mean com'on. I don't need to say anything. I really want it. I'm pissed off that they retailed for 14k when released and now sold out everywhere going for over 30k. Idk wtf to do. lol. I can't get one at either price right now anyway. lol. BUT I will eventually get one.

Ok. so anyway. That's all I've got for you guys for now. I hope that I can learn more from this community and become a contributing member. I'd love to hear what you guys think of my current collection and desired acquisitions. Even some leads would be appreciated too. :)

Jay

IMG_20200103_085508.jpg
IMG_20200317_153648.jpg
IMG_20200411_175107.jpg
IMG_20200422_185922.jpg
IMG_20200422_234336.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Why is my Original post separate from the comments? When I view other threads, its not like that. Is that a glitch? or by design?

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Welcome! You have some nice watches there! I like the Godzilla too (enjoyed seeing it online), and enjoyed reading about your connection to it!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nice collection. Welcome to the obsession.

Your Batman looks great on that rubber strap. Is it a Rubber B?

Don't forget to dust off those G-Shocks every so often and give them some love, too. They're well respected by many on this forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys! I appreciate the warm welcome and kind words. I'm definitely not neglecting those G-Shocks. I love my G-Shocks. I'll post some pics later when i get home. I have 2. and they serve me well. and reliably. :)

Also, Yes, that is a Rubber B. I've also got a couple from Horus. as well as the OE Hublot Red strap for my Big Bang. I love the tread pattern on that original Hublot strap. I wish they made the Red with the same texture.
Nice collection. Welcome to the obsession.

Your Batman looks great on that rubber strap. Is it a Rubber B?

Don't forget to dust off those G-Shocks every so often and give them some love, too. They're well respected by many on this forum.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll find that the World of WUS is a strange and interesting place. Check out the other sub forums, there is a plethora of information on specific brands within each one.

Looking forward to seeing your contribution to the group.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Welcome, man!

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,713 Posts
Welcome, nice watches. It sounds as though you have big plans

·
Registered
10,713 Posts
Two very nice watch additions! Both look great, and I especially appreciate the straps on both. They really add character!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts