WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a second hand Arctic Diver Swiss. So far not a good experience as it was advertised as no scratches whatsoever and in fact it had one of the worst most blatant scratches I have ever seen and in a most obvious spot. Lots of other minor damage too. Didn’t even get to wear it a day and it’s on its way to Kodold for refinishing…fingers crossed. Two month backlog right now.

I have to say the I like it a LOT in my limited time with it. I’m used to 47mm Panerai Subs so the size it not an issue. I’m also happy that my straps for my 44mm Panerai will fit.

I have a question about the lug pin/screws used on these. I’m a little surprised to see double ended screws used. Perhaps something with a substantial part on both sides, a sleeve type setup, but the tiny little screw? I worry about “little screws”. It’s not like a large Panerai screw that you will likely notice well before it’s all the way out. What are you guys doing to feel safe with these little screws?

I will say that so far that I’m very impressed with Kobold’s ability to have a human answer a phone. My AD is in the mail to them as I write this so we’ll see what the outcome is. I have a good feeling about it.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I own and have owned several Kobold's for the past few years. I have not had an issue with the screws. I have heard that some use loctite, but I do not. I occasionally check them for tightness but that's about it. Enjoy the AD

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Congrats on becoming a Kobold owner. I am on my fifth Kobold now (AD Swiss and previously 2 x Seals and 2 x EIIs ... long story) an simply love both the watch as well as the ethos of the company (apart from the business model, but that is a separate discussion). Sorry to hear that your new-to-you AD showed up in less than promised condition. Luckily, Brian, Dale and the gang at KWC can and will help you out.

Regarding the screw-tubes: I have never, ever had an issue with them. I have worn my Seals diving, white-water kayaking, swimming, canoeing, rock-climbing and with work deployed overseas / down range. Never, ever one issue. Zip, zero, nada. A long as you tighten them during install / strap changes and then tighten them on a regular basis (ie. I do it every Saturday morning with a coffee in hand while the rest of the family is asleep), they'll never let you down.

Congrats on the p/u.

James

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I have no issues with KOBOLD screw tubes other than it takes two screw drivers, Enjoy the AD!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Just like everyone said, never had an issue. Just check them once in awhile. And welcome to the Kobold family!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the replies. I realize it's not like this is the first place this type of screw has been used :) Glad to hear no one is having issues. Not to fun to use two screwdrivers, as I found out removing the strap to send it into Kobold, but I've yet to find the "perfect watch".

I have a feeling I will be very happy once my AD is returned. I have a feeling this is just my first Kobold of many to come, thought I'm not buying used every again! ;)

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Congratulations on the AD mate! I have an AD Tac that I've worn almost daily for over a year now & I've never had an issue with screws coming loose, or losing one.

I predominantly wear my AD Tac on zulu straps but also regularly swap the straps around to leather or rubber so am constantly fiddling around with the screws / screwbars.... I tighten them up after every strap change and have never had a problem.

Can't wait to see some pics once yours returns from KWC..... as everyone has already said they're a great group of blokes there & I'm sure your AD will come back looking like new.

Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts