WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I just got this beauty today..love the size, looks, patina..cool little watch
Can anyone tell me year of production, as well as what bracelet it might have been issued with?

Cheers,
David

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Hello all,
I just got this beauty today..love the size, looks, patina..cool little watch
Can anyone tell me year of production, as well as what bracelet it might have been issued with?

Cheers,
David

Hi David, and welcome to the vintage Tissot club :-!

These are pretty rare watches, and hard to find with the bezel still in good condition!!

I'm not exactly sure what sort of strap/bracelet the watch would have come with.....I bought mine from a collector friend in Holland a few years back and he fitted it with this original Tissot bracelet, but not neccessarily original to this watch?!

I often wear it on a strap....

The movement is a Lemania 1873, AKA as the Omega 861 from the Omega Speedy (after 1968) but the Lemania serial numbers don't tally with Tissot's, so it's hard to date them, but they're '68 through to early 70's generally!!

Have a look here.....

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Omega 861 (Lemania 1873)

If you've just bought this, and have no idea of it's history, then I'd SERIOUSLY suggest getting it serviced, as it's a 40 year old watch probably running on dried up old oil............not good!!

Enjoy :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response! I have opened up the watch, checked the movement, it looks pretty clean, but as you say, undoubtedly needs a good cleaning. I removed the crown, took out the movement etc, cleaned the pushers and greased them as they were a little sticky, winding as well, little grease makes a huge difference. there is no rubber case back gasket, and it has a metal movement gasket is appears, similar to a bezel spring..I had to tweak it a little as the movement was loose, now it is sound, no rattle. I see there is a similar bracelet to yours available on the bay..love the looks, may have to spring for the $49...
Would you mind sharing a picture of your movement gasket and case back gasket should you be inclined to open your beauty up?
Thanks again!
Best,
David

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Thanks for the response! I have opened up the watch, checked the movement, it looks pretty clean, but as you say, undoubtedly needs a good cleaning. I removed the crown, took out the movement etc, cleaned the pushers and greased them as they were a little sticky, winding as well, little grease makes a huge difference. there is no rubber case back gasket, and it has a metal movement gasket is appears, similar to a bezel spring..I had to tweak it a little as the movement was loose, now it is sound, no rattle. I see there is a similar bracelet to yours available on the bay..love the looks, may have to spring for the $49...
Would you mind sharing a picture of your movement gasket and case back gasket should you be inclined to open your beauty up?
Thanks again!
Best,
David

Hi

The movement piccy above is of my watch, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't/isn't a rubber gasket?? May have originally when it was new, but I'm sure my watchguy didn't fit it with one when he last had it a year or so back.....I'll check tomorrow as it's late here now!!

The metal 'racing' bracelets have the holes, but no leather inserts, and are still nice, but if you can find the latter, then they're definitely rarer and look a little nicer I think!!

I may get a leather racing style strap, like a Hirsch rallye, for mine at some point..........I like changing it every now and then for a different look, and I interchange them between my other vintage Tissots :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts