WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am new to this forum as well as fine watches. I have never owned expensive watches - the best that I own is a basic Tissot but I am looking to purchase two Omega Watches. These are not for me - but for my parents. It is their 25th Wedding Anniversary in February and I would like to get them something special. I just graduated from college this past May so unfortunatley do not have too much disposable income to spend on exquisite timepieces. My overall budget for both watches is $2000 to $2200 Max. I really cannot afford anything beyond that point. I have seen the Omega website and I have liked one or two models but I am not sure how much they cost or how they look in real life. Based on the characteristics of the wearers and the price limitation - could you recommend some models. Also, I do not plan to buy this at a retail store as the mark ups are too high. I plan to buy them from a reputable source online (AuthenticWatches.com?) or another online establishment recommended by you. One of the forum members here has graciously forwarded me a contact at Gelber & Mundy in NYC as they seem to be having some deals. But before I buy the watches, I want to make sure I am selecting the right ones.

1. Mens Watch - My father is 52 years old, 5-10 with an average build. He has an average sized wrist. He is more conservative and currently wears a movado. I am not sure of the model number but it is a midsize chronograph, with a White color dial and dark brown leather strap. The casing is gold in color. He does not like flashy things and the watch I would select for him should be more subdued and not scream out loud. I was thinking something with a silver color/steel casing and either a black or white dial with either a metal or leather strap - also midsize.

2. Womens Watch - My mother is 49 years old, 5-6 with a petite build. she has a more slender wrist. She is a bit more adventurous in her tastes than my father but also preffers a classic look. Her current watch of choice is a Tissot. Again, I am not sure of the mode - but it is a quartz and is very simple with a white dial and steel casing. I would also like to get her a more classic design - something with a silver/white dial and silver casing with either a metal or leather strap.

Based on the above preferences and price limit, could you please direct me towards some models. am looking at Chronographs or simple classic Automatic Quartz in ay of the lines offered by Omega - Constellation / Deville / Speedmaster / Seamaster Also, could you share with me approximatley what the delaer mark up is for the watch? Is there an invoice list available? I am based out of the NY area - so I am looking for US dealer prices. Thank you in advance for all your suggestions.

vcash

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
John beat me to the punch - but there are some Aqua Terra and Constellation models that come close to your desired amount. Still, while I hope that my kids are as thoughtful and generous as you are, I think it is going to be toughat that amount.
Have you thought about matching watches? Omega makes many models in varying sizes and if your folks are into that sort of thing it would be a nice touch (In my opinion). I think the AT's would fit both parents style.
I believe that G and M was thinking of discounting some of their less popular models a bit more than 30% (but I could be wrong). They are a fine company to do business with but you might check around with other ADs for similar discounts (the forum members can supply you with one) where you won't have to pay sales tax.
Good luck, Don

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you John and Don for some wonderful advice and responses. I looked at some Aqua Terra watches and absolutely loved the classic look of the 2803.50.37 model.

Unfortuantley the cheapest I could find thus far was $1875. So this would be a little out of my range. Also in general I found Aqua Terra's to be between the price range of 1800 and 2500. Judging by the tone of your posts, it seemed like these would be the least expensive of the Omegas but I see constelations going for between $1100 and $1300 and Omega Seamasters between $1300 and $1500. Could you point me towards a good resource online that would have discounted Aqua Terras?

The idea about the matching set of watches is interesting as well - could you tell me if Omega makes gift sets like these or do I need to pair them individually?

Thank You.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks John,

I like the 2517.50.00 for him and 2577.50.00 - They look smart and classy - I think this is the model I will try and buy - but now I need to hunt for an AD that can get me a price close to $2000 for the set. The Seamasters are too sporty (I wouldn't mind one myself! Maybe next year). And the Devilles are a tad too boring. So the Awua Terra is a neat fit. Any referrals on ADs that are discounting ATs?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts