WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a great affinity for tool watches and have been intrigued by the Big Crown Propilot Altimeter since I first saw photos of it. Unfortunately I have 6.75" wrists so I tend to steer clear of very large watches and all the reviews and specs indicated this was a large watch indeed. Recently, while visiting a high end watch boutique, I was able to see the watch in person and try it on and I was amazed at how comfortable it was and how much smaller it wore than suggested by its size. End result is that I now own my first Oris. Sinn has been my go-to brand for years and I must say the Oris give them a real challenge.

I am am not an aviator but live in the mountains of Colorado so find the altimeter complication useful in trekking with topo maps. I do however have a question: what does the red triangular "FL" on the recessed dial indicate and how is it used? I have read the Oris manual a couple of time but can find no mention of it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I asked my son-in-law who is a chopper pilot, and FL on an altimeter stands for Flight Level, didn't have a chance to ask him what that means, apart from the obvious :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, Fitzer. Frankly I am a bit amazed that 200 Oris fans have looked at this post and your's is the only response.i can't believe that Oris would go to the trouble to put it on a dial just as superfious decoration but maybe I don't know the brand well enough. I love the build and look of the watch and the complication is outstanding and gives a fairly accurate reading (good enough for trekking). I live at 6,500 feet and daily travel from 10,000 to 4,000 (front range of the Colorado Rocky Mountains). It's fun to watch it go through the paces. I spend a lot of time on the water in Florida and am trying to decide on a good Tide watch and it's currently a toss up between the Prodiver Pointer Moon and the Sinn 240 ST GZ. Comments?

·
Premium Member
60,691 Posts
Nm, I looked all over the internet for what FL could mean and failed big time. Now that Fitzer has explained that it’s Flight Level I looked that up and made my head hurt!
The PM is nothing short of fantastic. It’s a very close relative to the ProDiver Date (half brother?) My only complaint if you can call it that is that the grade 2 titanium used on the bracelet and clasp of the rubber isn’t very hardy (it loves scratches) The watch head though is just fine for some reason.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Nm, I looked all over the internet for what FL could mean and failed big time. Now that Fitzer has explained that it’s Flight Level I looked that up and made my head hurt!
Think of FL as simply altitude above a “standardized idea” of sea-level and not based on the “local barometer.” It won’t mean anything significant to you unless you’re piloting an aircraft.

(This is not entirely accurate but good enough for the point): FL is convenient if you prefer to avoid mid-air collisions by standardizing altitude and maintaining safe vertical separation. To do the same thing using “local pressure” would be a little like Russian roulette in the sky.

Lastly, if you happen to be INSIDE an aircraft (if you’re on the wing a-la-Twilight Zone that’s an entirely different discussion) and your watch starts reading in FL, you’ll want to stop looking at your watch and reach for that little oxygen mask.

And remember: apply YOUR oxygen mask first before assisting others

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yes congrats on the Oris! (I meant to say that but got lost in some goofy Flight Level stuff.

I have an Oris Aquis Date from around 2012-2013 with the Selita SW-200 movement and it’s been fantastic.
I abuse the hell out of it, I manually wind it probably WEEKLY, it gets vibrated when I mow the lawn/weedeat/chainsaw with it, I go swimming/boating with it, it has battle scars all over (the crystal is unscathed!!) and it has yet to be serviced! Runs about -2/+2 per day depending on if it’s on wrist or sitting dial-up which is more accurate than my needs and far better than I expected from this movement.
Definitely a well-made watch. I’ve been eyeing the Oris “pilot” watches but I don’t have a local place to check them out in-person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts