WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I ended up buying a Brand New F1 (73576344764RS) off ebay for a good price and the auction includes the original paperwork including the card and service booklet from Oris. The watch also has the original hang tag on it. My question is, does the watch have the oris warranty? and can i bring it directly to Oris for service if needed? The watch is brand new and has never been registered before. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Hello guys,

I ended up buying a Brand New F1 (73576344764RS) off ebay for a good price and the auction includes the original paperwork including the card and service booklet from Oris. The watch also has the original hang tag on it. My question is, does the watch have the oris warranty? and can i bring it directly to Oris for service if needed? The watch is brand new and has never been registered before. Any advice would be appreciated.
the short answer is no, simply because Oris and nearly every other brand stipulate their watches have to be bought from an AD (Authorised Dealer) to validate the manufacturer warranty. They list AD's on their websites generally.

No manufacturer that im aware of sells on Ebay. This is not to say the watch is fake, just that the watch is grey market which simply means the watch is real but sold by a non AD. The trade off is that grey market products are generally much cheaper.

However, you may be given a warranty directly from the seller if they offer it which means you would have to send the watch to them for service or repair.

Most swiss companies wont touch grey market watches but my experience is the Japanese ones such as Citizen are much more relaxed regards their own AD rules in servicing their watches.

If an ebay seller says the watch comes with manufacturer warranty, and many of them do, they are lying. They may include the warranty booklet but it is worthless. You need to weigh up whether the cost saving of going grey market is worth the risk of the watch failing within the warranty period or not. If for example you went ahead and tried to register your watch on the Oris website you have to fill in what AD it was bought from among other details for it to validate.

If you want my personal advice, i find quartz watches to be extremely reliable and buy 99% of them grey market but i buy all my expensive mechanical watches from an AD as they can cost quite a lot to fix if something goes wrong. Then again, the savings can sometimes pay for a major repair or servicing in itself if required, but as i said, each man must weigh this risk themselves.

Hope i havent confused you and best of luck with your F1!;-)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for the information and I figured that, the only reason I asked is because from what I understand when Oris is sold by a grey market dealer the warranty card is removed therefore the warranty is not good through Oris and any warranties would have to be handled through the grey market dealer. In this case the card actually came with the watch so I figured I got lucky and the warranty would be valid. Thanks for the information!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Most swiss companies wont touch grey market watches but my experience is the Japanese ones such as Citizen are much more relaxed regards their own AD rules in servicing their watches.
So they don´t repair your grey market watch even if you pay for the service? This was new to me. :think:

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
So they don´t repair your grey market watch even if you pay for the service? This was new to me. :think:
They will gladly work on a grey market piece if you want to pay but it is not really worth it. Sending it to the manufacturer takes a long time and is expensive. Any decent watchmaker can work on a SW or ETA movement quite easily and for a fraction of the cost, in most cases.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts