WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my time on WUS has passed I see more and more watches I seem to fall in love with.

I have no knowledge of Oris (well, very limited anyway) but have researched as much as I can.

Happened across this gorgeous piece several weeks ago and I'm just wondering if any of you Oris aficionado's could shed some light on it.

Oris-Great-Barrier-Reef-Limited-Edition-II-1.jpg

Maybe you own one, have tried one on or just have far more knowledge than me.

Of course I'll try before I buy, but would love some input if at all possible.

And if possible can anyone tell me where in the UK is stocking it, the only place I can see them is Chrono24, but I'd dearly love to see one in the flesh.

Thanks for your help folks.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
The GBR is part of a limited edition series to support efforts to save the reef from environmental decline. It's an extension of the Aquis diver line that shares this unique case style. You're right - it's beautiful. A great vivid blue against yellow accents. The center date implementation is something you don't commonly see.

Search Aquis and you'll find many colorways and sub designs. And learn about Oris! Great house that is one of the few remaining independents, in continuous operation since 1904 and at one point one of the largest watch companies in the world. Now they call their own shots and make some great watches.

There are reviews of this watch floating around online that also show it in steel which you'll want to see.

Ps. You won't find stock yet as it was just announced at Basel.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The GBR is part of a limited edition series to support efforts to save the reef from environmental decline. It's an extension of the Aquis diver line that shares this unique case style. You're right - it's beautiful. A great vivid blue against yellow accents. The center date implementation is something you don't commonly see.

Search Aquis and you'll find many colorways and sub designs. And learn about Oris! Great house that is one of the few remaining independents, in continuous operation since 1904 and at one point one of the largest watch companies in the world. Now they call their own shots and make some great watches.

There are reviews of this watch floating around online that also show it in steel which you'll want to see.

Ps. You won't find stock yet as it was just announced at Basel.
Thanks mitchjrj.

Very informative sir, thank you.

Sounds like a very solid company with a great history.

I've seen it online with the bracelet and rubber, and I must admit I'm a sucker for the rubber.

Thanks once again sir.

·
Premium Member
60,641 Posts
Speak to a friendly Oris AD and get him to put you in touch with the Oris U.K. rep (it was a guy called Darren) and see if he can tell you where there is one that you can look at. Failing that see if he can have one delivered to a local AD in order that you can cast your eyes over it. Oris rubber is some of the nicest about.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Speak to a friendly Oris AD and get him to put you in touch with the Oris U.K. rep (it was a guy called Darren) and see if he can tell you where there is one that you can look at. Failing that see if he can have one delivered to a local AD in order that you can cast your eyes over it. Oris rubber is some of the nicest about.
Thanks sticky.

Appreciated sir. I'll do this ASAP and see if I can see this beauty in the flesh.

Also good to know that the rubber is stop shelf.

Many thanks once again.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oris USA told me that these will become available for sale from middle of May. Do note that this is a Limited Edition watch and distribution numbers might play a role in availability. Lastly, Oris will expect full retail price on this baby.
Thanks phoenix.

Ive seen a few on Chrono24 ready for purchase but need to see one in the flesh.

I thought it would be full retail on this one Phoenix.

Thanks for the reply sir.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Thanks mitchjrj.

Very informative sir, thank you.

Sounds like a very solid company with a great history.

I've seen it online with the bracelet and rubber, and I must admit I'm a sucker for the rubber.

Thanks once again sir.
Oh you don't have to worry about Oris I think what they make is pretty solid, and they've been around for over a hundred years.

I bought an Oris Chronometer Pointer date new, back in '97, and it managed to provide trouble-free service for almost 20 years before I finally thought about servicing it last year. My daughter wears it now as her daily and it's keeping time within COSC spec. Not bad for a watch that cost me only about UD500 back then.

a watch is meant to be worn

·
Registered
119 Posts
I spotted 2 today in a store here in Australia today. I imagine they'll start popping up everywhere very soon.

I only wish I could've had a good look at them but had somewhere else I needed to be. The colours looked gorgeous in the flesh though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh you don't have to worry about Oris I think what they make is pretty solid, and they've been around for over a hundred years.

I bought an Oris Chronometer Pointer date new, back in '97, and it managed to provide trouble-free service for almost 20 years before I finally thought about servicing it last year. My daughter wears it now as her daily and it's keeping time within COSC spec. Not bad for a watch that cost me only about UD500 back then.

a watch is meant to be worn
Thank you sir. Good to know that its a brand to be relied on.

Lovely watch as well, I hope your daughter enjoys every minute of it Richard.

Many thanks for the reply sir.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I spotted 2 today in a store here in Australia today. I imagine they'll start popping up everywhere very soon.

I only wish I could've had a good look at them but had somewhere else I needed to be. The colours looked gorgeous in the flesh though.

Now you're just trying to make me jealous Wonga.;-)

The colours do look brilliant I must admit.

Thanks for the reply mate, can't wait to see one now.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I imagine it's the same tone blue dial as the Aquis Date sunray. So if you can find one of those locally will give you a good idea. Rich without being overly vibrant.

Photo courtesy of Monochrome...

View attachment 7877394
Thanks mitchjrj.

Great advice and thanks for the related picture.

That blue is stunning.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well folks spoke to an AD today here in the UK, they're stock arrives in 10 days. Made an appointment with them for two weeks time to see one.

So with a fair wind the old trigger may be being pulled very soon.

Ill let you all know.

In the meantime thank you all for the advice and input, really appreciated.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I noticed Oris released a few other non-LE Aquis colorways that have the same dial less the central date disk. Worth checking out if you don't like that design or can't find the LE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank mitch.

Been looking at these as well since discovering the LE.

Must admit though I do love the centre wheel and yellow accents.

Thanks for the reply sir.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have one on the way now! I'll post some pics when it arrives

·
Registered
119 Posts
picked up mine today

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Not going to lie...I'm a little jealous! Mine should be here Monday or Tuesday. Congrats!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts