WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Like many have said no matter how small it is all that matters is you enjoy it. Im a lil over 7 1/2 inch wrist my ideal size is 45mm but to each their own. Great buy either way.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
There is something about the aspect ratio and design of the 34mm Oysters that always struck me as slightly better looking than its larger brothers. Something about the bracelet to case ratio and the generally narrower look to the case and lugs. It seems the Oysters get slightly bloated looking as they are upsized. The relative proportions change.

My first 'nice' watch was an early 90s Air King. I sold it to dealer in DC for a song. Before there was the web so you couldn't easily research pricing. About 20 years afterward I bought a Milgauss in part as I remembered how much I liked the simplicity of the Air King. Now the milgauss is 40mm and heavy. And I sometimes get the notion that wouldbe kinda cool to have a low key 34mm Air King for travel. The ultimate unstatus Rolex. Comfortable after 20 hours of travel. Discrete when you are in less than safe environs. It's funny how WIS can come up with all sort of odd rationale for a watch purpose;-)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
My first 'nice' watch was an early 90s Air King. I sold it to dealer in DC for a song. Before there was the web so you couldn't easily research pricing. About 20 years afterward I bought a Milgauss in part as I remembered how much I liked the simplicity of the Air King. Now the milgauss is 40mm and heavy. And I sometimes get the notion that wouldbe kinda cool to have a low key 34mm Air King for travel. The ultimate unstatus Rolex. Comfortable after 20 hours of travel. Discrete when you are in less than safe environs. It's funny how WIS can come up with all sort of odd rationale for a watch purpose;-)
Wow! You hit the nail on the head, I was describing my airking to someone yesterday exactly the same way. It really is the understated, comfortable, everyday Rolex. I wore mine to a cabin with some friends recently, I didn't really feel like taking it off at all while I was there, there was a few guys I didn't know very well. So I wore it the entire weekend straight-shower, sleep, everything. I was amazed how comfortable it was, I wouldn't be able to do that with any other watch, and it certainly won't be a habit with this one, but its nice to know I can comfortably wear it that long.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Wow! You hit the nail on the head, I was describing my airking to someone yesterday exactly the same way. It really is the understated, comfortable, everyday Rolex. I wore mine to a cabin with some friends recently, I didn't really feel like taking it off at all while I was there, there was a few guys I didn't know very well. So I wore it the entire weekend straight-shower, sleep, everything. I was amazed how comfortable it was, I wouldn't be able to do that with any other watch, and it certainly won't be a habit with this one, but its nice to know I can comfortably wear it that long.
Thanks! I was thinking quite specifically of a couple of business trips I took to Mumbai and Capetown where i was traveling for a long time and really never got an opportunity where I could safely take my watch. I know a GMT Master is often the recommended watch for this travel scenario. But I notice I often switch immediately to local time with a limited need to know home time on my watch. And I often find myself alone at night in a strange city so I see a lot of inherent value in a stealthy, low key 'nice' comfortable watch with a replacement value that won't bankrupt you. Yeah, your colleague from the local office might clue in eventually over dinner that you are wearing a Rolex but that unsavoury guy eating two tables over likely won't.

Reactions: How to be Swell
21 - 25 of 25 Posts