WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

I've just discovered Sinn but yet to purchase. At last there appears to be a watch company whose prime motivation is good engineering as opposed to just a nice piece of jewellery.

I have a couple of questions and I hope you will be able to help:

I've narrowed down my choice for my first Sinn watch to either the 103 St A Sa with Argon and dehumidifying capsule or the 203 St again with argon and capsule. I've read the threads on the forum regarding the 103 models but no-one has mentioned the 203 St. Does anyone have any experience with this model?

My second question is about the accuracy of timekeeping that can be expected from these watches. I know that it will vary with the use of the watch, whether it is kept on a winder when not in use, whether it is worn overnight etc., but what I'm trying to gain is an indication of the overall accuracy, just a ball-park figure. Any observations would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Rod

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hi Rod, and welcome to the forum,

I've owned the 203 Arktis, the one with the mighty fine blue galvanized dial, these are fine watches that can withstand anything you throw at it.
Sinn uses the best quality ETA movements available, so no worries about precision.
And as far as my Sinn's go they seem to be regulated very well, so no problem there.
If you are looking for a dependable watch for every day use, that also goes well with a suit, this is a fine choice.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Daddel.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Hello Rod,

welcome to the Forum!

You have pretty much summarized the spirit of Sinn in you opening paragraph.
Sinn is about practical innovations as opposed to flashy jewelry.

Many who are new to mechanical watches need to get used to a somewhat lower accuracy as compared to quartz watches. Mechanical watches with movements that were qualified by the Swiss COSC institute should perform within -4/+6 seconds a day, for watches that did not go trough this additional step you may allow twice that margin.
Properly tuned, Sinn watches can easily perform within COSC standard, but as you mentioned already, how the owner wears a watch introduces many variables.

Mechanical watches, like other pieces of complicated machinery, often need some time to settle in and it may take a few weeks before a watch stabilizes. I find that the attraction of a mechanical watch is not so much its accuracy, but the skill and ingenuity that goes into this creating this little engineering marvel.

The 203 is indeed not often discussed here; which is really a pity as it is an attractive design. If it came with an UTC complication to indicate a second time zone, I would have bought one long ago.

Last year, Sinn chose the 203 in titanium with argon filling as Limited Edition Anniversary Model (http://www.sinn.de/onlineshopPRO/TEMPLATE/index-ka.php?id=203.026) and of course there is the 203 Arktis (http://www.sinn.de/onlineshopPRO/TEMPLATE/index-ka.php?id=203.013) with the same de-humidifying technology, special cold temperature lubricants and tighter manufacturing tolerances that assure operation from -45C to +80C (-49F to 176F), and its stunning blue dial. Both models are often overlooked as photographs reflect poorly the true beauty of the metalic coloured dials, but in particular the midnight-blue dial of the 203 Arktis looks outstanding. If you ever held this model, in combination with a dark blue leather strap, in your hands you might be amazed how attractive a divers watch can look as dress watch.

Sinn is probably better know for its pilot's watches and the 103 is frequently discussed around here. The 103 comes in many variations and is without any doubt the Sinn model that I wear the most. Since its introduction many years back is has become a classic that has often been copied by other brands, but never been surpassed. Many of the Sinn innovations found their way into one 103 version or another and the flagship models are the 103 Ti Ar UTC and 103 St Sa UTC. As the English language catalogue has not been updated for a while, I ought to mention that both models are fitted now with sapphire crystals that are treated with anti-reflective coating on both sides.

Whichever model I chose, I was never disappointed with a Sinn.

Kur

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
The easiest explanation I have is is that Sinn tends to refer to the 103 as a pilot's watch and the 203 as a diver. At the moment, I only own two Sinns & they happen to be the 103 & the 203.

103 St Sa Ar UTC and the 203 Arktis...

(Photos courtesy of Watchbuys.com)

Both watches use a 7750 Swiss automatic movement. In my particular case, they are also both stainless, have sapphire crystals (the 103 has a back display crystal), are equipped with the dehumidifying capsule and are filled with Argon. They are about the same size (I am wearing my 103 right now and I'd swear it's a touch larger than the 203, but I could be wrong).

While both are water resistant, the 203 is rated for 30bar (300m) and the 103 is only rated for 20bar. My 103 is not marked as a "Diver." They advertise the 203 as a Diver's watch, so I am assuming they test the 203 to ISO 6425 vs ISO 2281 for water resistance - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_2281.

In the case of the Arktis, it can also withstand extreme temperatures: -45 °C to +80 °C [that's -49 °F to +176 °F for us yanks]. It also uses special oil to maintain operation at these temperatures, and if memory serves, I thought the Arktis came with two of those copper sulphate dehumidifying capsule (could be mistaken).

Why you would want to dive in 176 °F (much less -49 °F) water is beyond me; but, if your Arktis fell off into say, :think: a pot of boiling lobsters or a pitcher of nice iced southern sweet tea or margaritas,...it has a better chance of survival!!!:-!
  • I guess you hear more about the 103 because there more models available (6 versus 3).
  • 103s can be had with a sapphire or acrylic crystals; 203s only come with sapphire crystals.
  • No 203s come with back display crystals.
  • 203s are heavier than 103s.
  • A starter 103 is cheaper than the base level 203.
That's all I got right now...and I love both of mine.

DJ

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello again,

Many thanks for your information and observations they have been extremely helpful.

Well, I've made a decision :-!. My first Sinn, I hope there will be more, is a 203 St - bracelet - Sa back - and Argon/dehumidifier capsule. 4 to 6 weeks delivery direct from Sinn (it's going to be a long 6 weeks !!).

Thanks again for all your help.

Rod

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Hi Rod, welcome to the Sinn ownership experience. I'm sure you will be very happy with the high level of workmanship and precise engineering. I would love to see some pics when you get it.

Welcome to the forum! :-!

Tim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts