WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am ready to purchase my first suunto. With all the ups and downs of the core, which I love the look of. I am swaying towards the Vector. What do you all think?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Hi Ken,

You might also look into the X-lander military. ;-) Great watch that I picked up for $199 from an online vendor recently. :-!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Hello all,

I am ready to purchase my first suunto. With all the ups and downs of the core, which I love the look of. I am swaying towards the Vector. What do you all think?
60/40 towards the Vector, but you have to really learn how to use it. (baro will affect altitude readings, so you have to a) make sure your baro reference is set right, and b) make sure your reference altitude, which changes a lot due to baro pressure, is set correctly before any major outing.

Amazon.com has Vector for a paltry $146 dollars (black one).

Core is nice if you get one without issues.

Issues so far seem to be

• Premature power drain
  • Buttons losing tone (can be fixed by removing battery for 5 minutes, but I haven't heard of a way to prevent it from happening over and over again)
  • Baro graph acting wacky
Other than that, the auto lock works well, compass is excellent, look / feel of watch is great.

My second one came to me flawless...so far so good.

You can always buy one from SuuntoWatches.com and if it becomes flaky after a few days, return it. They are really good about that and can get a replacement out to you quickly.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Really does come down to the use you intend for it.
Tell us a bit about how you intend to use it and I'm sure you'll get some great advice.
I wouldn't rule out the Core. Remember that a huge amount of them have been sold in a very short time. A few problems are to be expected, and it really is only a few of us that have had problems.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan to use it for compass, altitude and of course time and date, but I do really like the look of the core. Can you change straps on the vector to say a nato or zulu?

·
Registered
493 Posts
If the Altitude function is more important to you then I would recommend the Core. The way the Core is setup to work will generally give you a more accurate altitude reading than the Vector/X-Lander engine can manage.

As to your other question, yes you can fit 20mm or 22mm Nato/Zulu type straps to the Vector if you get the Suunto adaptors that come with their own velcro strap.
Like this.........

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I tend to disagree with you here...when in alt mode, the Core does not hold baro pressure constant...altitude readings will be affected by weather baro pressure changes just as much as on the Vector. Where the Core is better is when you are at the same altitude (setting up camp, etc.) and it has the capability of holding alttitude steady while baro pressure changes.

If the Altitude function is more important to you then I would recommend the Core. The way the Core is setup to work will generally give you a more accurate altitude reading than the Vector/X-Lander engine can manage.

As to your other question, yes you can fit 20mm or 22mm Nato/Zulu type straps to the Vector if you get the Suunto adaptors that come with their own velcro strap.
Like this.........

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello all,

Hello all,

I am a new user...I come from Italy...Florence...yesterday I bought my first Suunto...a Black/Yellow Core ;-)....I am reading your posts since September and I decided to buy the Core even thanks to your comments.

The watch looks great...it's very cool and its functions go really well...only the temperature is a bit higher than real because I wear it on my arm.

I hope to write sufficiently well...my english is not so good :-x....sorry for this !

:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm going to buy my first suunto today. I made choice for yellow black, but first it was alu brown. The suunto representative in croatia didn't order that model, but only yelow black and light black, so I was very sad.
Now, because of this forum I made my mind to go for yelow black.
So, thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I tend to disagree with you here...when in alt mode, the Core does not hold baro pressure constant...altitude readings will be affected by weather baro pressure changes just as much as on the Vector. Where the Core is better is when you are at the same altitude (setting up camp, etc.) and it has the capability of holding alttitude steady while baro pressure changes.
I know what you mean and in theory you are dead right, but over the time that I've used my Core in parallel with either my Vector or X-Lander (which I generally prefer) I have to admit that on returning to our starting point at the end of a trip, the Core will usually be reading the same altitude as it was set to at the start, whereas the Vector/X-Lander rarely manages to do the same.
I have no technical reason why, but in my experience at least, the Core definitely seems to manage more accurate altitude readings.
I freely admit to a bias in that I still prefer the way the Vector/X-Lander works for my needs, and when I wear the Core now it is usually locked to baro mode to keep the storm warning active but I stand by what I said, I think the Core is better if your priority is accurate altitude.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I know what you mean and in theory you are dead right, but over the time that I've used my Core in parallel with either my Vector or X-Lander (which I generally prefer) I have to admit that on returning to our starting point at the end of a trip, the Core will usually be reading the same altitude as it was set to at the start, whereas the Vector/X-Lander rarely manages to do the same.
I have no technical reason why, but in my experience at least, the Core definitely seems to manage more accurate altitude readings.
I freely admit to a bias in that I still prefer the way the Vector/X-Lander works for my needs, and when I wear the Core now it is usually locked to baro mode to keep the storm warning active but I stand by what I said, I think the Core is better if your priority is accurate altitude.
I understand...one thing might be that the Vector watch isn't calibrated to match the Core, i.e., getting them to both read the same exact pressure before starting out.

Also, I won't go into detail here (a few of my other posts go into it in excruciating detail) but the Vector can base reference pressure on either absolute pressure or SEA level pressure. I have seen the Vector try to "adjust itself" when these aren't quite synced up properly. For example, when you set the baro pressure to 30.05", you would see it round itself up to 30.10 instantly, or down, etc. rather than stay put where you set SEA level reference. So, if this is going on on the Vector, you will see the altitude also jumping around.

But, I haven't had enough experience comparing my Vector watches side by side with the Core, on a stable weather day, and then seeing what I end up with altitude wise. You may be right, that the altimeter isn't quite as accurate, all else being equal.

·
Registered
493 Posts
one thing might be that the Vector watch isn't calibrated to match the Core, i.e., getting them to both read the same exact pressure before starting out.
I only wish that they were! As I think we both have posted elsewhere, this is one of the weaknesses on the Core, you cannot calibrate the absolute pressure.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I only wish that they were! As I think we both have posted elsewhere, this is one of the weaknesses on the Core, you cannot calibrate the absolute pressure.
Agreed...so since we can't change this fact, I just made all of my Vector engine watches match the Core...after all it isn't the absolute pressure we need worry about, but the trend.

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Ken, have you looked into an Observer model? I love mine... nice watch thats a little less "obvious" than most of the larger models... just something to think about.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Agreed...so since we can't change this fact, I just made all of my Vector engine watches match the Core...after all it isn't the absolute pressure we need worry about, but the trend.
An update on this: I had originally made my Vector engine watches match the Core (and the T6) by making the first screen you see when you get to Baro mode, display SEA level pressure. I did this by messing with the SNR values. This became a problem as when you set SEA level pressure, altitude will adjust, and vice versa (same dynamic on the Core). When I performed the above operation, the elevation and SEA level pressures were always off.

So, the correct way to do this is:
  1. Adjust your reference altitude on the Vector...make sure that when you do this, SEA level pressure (hit select three times in Baro mode) value matches your Core. If not...
  2. Adjust your SNR value up or down...go one hPa at a time...
  3. Then adjust your reference altitude value as it will have changed when you perform #2.
  4. Determine if SEA level pressure (hit select three times in baro mode) displays the correct value (or, matches the Core).
  5. Repeat steps 2-4 as necessary until SEA level baro pressure matches that of the Core.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts