WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Just joined WUS yesterday. Awesome site, can't get me off of the forums. :/ but :)

Just wanted some opinions on a good starter Seiko watch?

Really love the sumo, stargate, spork, 007. Any opinions on the srp025, 027, 031?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Go with the style you think you'll enjoy the most. My first auto was the SKX187 Orange Monster.

I later grabbed a Sumo and it has been my favorite for over 2 years now.

Reactions: misterpak

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I would start with an 007. There are so many things you can do with them if you want to make some changes to it in the future.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I would start with an 007. There are so many things you can do with them if you want to make some changes to it in the future.
+1.
Or failing that, a Black or Orange Monster.

cheers,
Jake.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm still new and learning, but some indirect ways I found to lead me to the right Seiko were:

- Dive into "What watch are you wearing today?" threads. (Pun very much intended)

- Scour the for sale forums, if only to see what, for instance, an SNA225 is. Who knows, what you click on may be the thing you've been looking for and didn't even know it.

- Google image search "Seiko Diver" or "Seiko Chronograph" or "Seiko Automatic" or whatever... and see what catches your eye.

- Use the search function.

Reactions: GTR83

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
You should go with the Spring Drive SBDB001 first....

all kidding aside the SKX007 is pretty much the reference in terms of first Seiko's to get. Mine was about 6 seconds fast per 24 hours and consistent day in and day out. It's really a great watch I almost wish I still had it although I wouldn't likely wear it much with the others I have. It also offers the ability to be modified in a zillion different ways so pretty much go with that and work from there.

·
Registered
373 Posts
For sure you should go for the 007 - as Doctorsti says, it's the reference diver for starters and it (or it's derivatives) should be the basis of any seiko divers collection. You will find it to be really versatile and it looks equally good on a bracelet or leather strap.

I've had my eye on the srp025, 027 and 031 trio for a wee while now. I think they have a classic Seiko look ( if such a thing exists!) and they have the 4R15 movement. I've almost pulled the trigger on one or other of them two or three times now but those *^!^** crown guards always put me off at the last minute - if the crown guard swept out from the case in steel (or even nothing at all) I'd have all three in a flash!! Quartzimodo produced a good review a while back - check it out here -
First looks: The new Seiko 4R15 100m automatics

i

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the feedback everyone...looks to be the start of a long and expensive, but extremely satisfying journey!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good choice. that's a classic seiko diver look. But different from all of the 007's . Maybe pick up a rubber strap too.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Good choice. that's a classic seiko diver look. But different from all of the 007's . Maybe pick up a rubber strap too.
And a Yobokies Anvil or Hammer bracelet.

·
2,105 Posts
Welcome to WUS and the forum. Congrats on your new diver. May I suggest a classic 6309 for your next purchase?

Regards,

Ren

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would start with an 007.
I am new to the Seiko diver line. I have been looking at the 007 for (no kidding) about 6 months now, and I was wondering if everyone on here could tell me who are the reputable sellers on ebay and who sells fakes?
If not ebay, then where to buy the 007? I am in Maine, US. Thanks.
Ogre

·
Registered
12 Posts
...wondering if everyone on here could tell me who are the reputable sellers on ebay and who sells fakes?
If not ebay, then where to buy the 007? I am in Maine, US. Thanks.
Ogre
Never mind, I didn't realize that the sticky thread that listed reputable sources also included some ebay sellers. Sorry.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I agree with others. The SKX007 (black) or the pepsi colored one is an excellent starter. That is my bread n butter watch, wear it the most and goes with everything. It looks even nicer with a WJean oyster bracelet upgrade.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts