WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I've loved the 'idea' of owning a nice watch for about 10 years now, since I first wandered into a jewellery store and became smitten with what I now know to be an Omega Speedy Pro. I've pondered on that watch now and then over the years but have never really been in the right place to justify it. I also had never really been motivated enough to educate myself on what else is out there.

This just happens to be a double milestone year for me. I've turned 30 and i'll be getting married next month (and if I can manage to stop looking at watches online during work hours, there might even be a promotion before year's end). After some ongoing dialogue with my partner she has decided that a watch would make a fine wedding gift, and that we can comfortably manage the expense.

At first I was pretty excited to finally get my hands on a moon watch. However, after laying awake thinking on the topic one recent evening, I decided that I would go in a different direction.

A significant wedding gift such as this feels like it should be a special thing that is a reminder of her and our wedding day... and although the Speedmaster Professional would be given all the love in the world, it just feels a bit wrong to have my to-be wife buy me the watch I've been thinking about since long before we met.

I decided that we would go out together, and I would broaden my horizons and discover what else exists in the world of Swiss watches. With the goal of ultimately picking one as a couple.

We went to a single watch retailer here in Melbourne, Australia and I confessed to the assistant that I knew very little about watches or brands outside the ones with the giant marketing budgets and celebrity endorsements. I tried on a couple of her suggestions, and it took about 3 mins of browsing before my eye caught on a piece that might as well have yelled at me from across the room.

I tried it on and it looked and felt like a dream. The fiancee also loved it, and that's how we decided that my first watch will be a Baume & Mercier Clifton black faced Chronograph (10212 for those playing at home).

Being new I don't have the points to post a photo of the model, but that should be resolved by the time I have it on my wrist, then I'll come back and show it off for you all.

In the mean time, I'm really hoping to make contact with plenty of watch-folk and build a network of watch lovers / sellers / buyers / repairers etc.

Say hi, and i'll look forward to seeing you around this fine forum :)

- Brohagan

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
on behalf of OP (and for WUS readers), I believe this is OP's watch
BMM0A10212.front.productgallery.png

Welcome to the forum OP. You're thirst for the Speedy is well founded as it's an amazing line and receives much love here. That B&M is lovely too. Pick up some black and brown leather straps for dressier type occasions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
on behalf of OP (and for WUS readers), I believe this is OP's watch

Welcome to the forum OP. You're thirst for the Speedy is well founded as it's an amazing line and receives much love here. That B&M is lovely too. Pick up some black and brown leather straps for dressier type occasions.
Thanks for the graphical assist! that definitely is the one. The very first thing I noticed after getting home and doing research in the model and brand, is that the images online absolutely do not do it justice. The sunburst dial gives it a much more dark grey look than black (at least it did under the bright lights in the AD), and in person just feels like it has so much character.

I suspect that is what most people feel when they come across a watch they must own :).

As for the leather strap... I have sourced a local australian producer of hand made leather watch straps. I'm going to go with a choc brown suede which i intend to fit with a genuine B&M folding clasp.

-BroHagan

·
Premium Member
71,472 Posts
Ask yourself if you got the B&M would you still crave the Speedy? If the answer is yes then then think about letting her buy you the watch. Remember, she may not have been in your lifer when you first saw it but it was her that actually bought it and in my book that's a big thing.

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
Welcome to WUS OP.
You have a wonderful watch manufacturer that makes some absolutely beautiful watches right there in Melbourne.Have a look at the Melbourne Watch Co.His "Portsea"is IMO one of the most beautiful watches available at any price,yet most working forlk can afford the.Good luck & enjoy WUS...

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ask yourself if you got the B&M would you still crave the Speedy? If the answer is yes then then think about letting her buy you the watch. Remember, she may not have been in your lifer when you first saw it but it was her that actually bought it and in my book that's a big thing.

Oh yeah i'll still crave it for sure... But when the time is right i'll buy it for myself :)

Since i came across B&M the Clifton has really grown on me to the point that i'd probably buy it first anyway. Subsequently, I also discovered IWC at the same time, and if a Portugese was in my price range it would be a dream come true. Maybe for my 40th b'day :).

-BroHagan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to WUS OP.
You have a wonderful watch manufacturer that makes some absolutely beautiful watches right there in Melbourne.Have a look at the Melbourne Watch Co.His "Portsea"is IMO one of the most beautiful watches available at any price,yet most working forlk can afford the.Good luck & enjoy WUS...
Those are some fine looking watches. I'm set on going Swiss for my first watch, however at these prices it barely makes sense not to grab one of these at some point in the near future. That Portsea is pretty special.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I still think that you should get the speedy pro.

The B&M is running on a common Valjoux 7750 movement. It's Swiss alright but it is also common and plebeian.

The Speedy Pro's 1861 is more prestigious as the Lemania movement used by the Speedy Pro is now only found on Speedies since Lemania was bought up by Breguet.

You are getting a Breguet movement at less than 25% of the price of a Breguet chronograph.

Think of the speedy as a Mini with a Porsche engine while the B&M is the equivalent of a Volkswagen with a 20 year old Daihatsu engine.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Don't let the watch nerds here put you off ;-) Get the Baume. Speedys are nice but everyone man and his dog has one. They might be a better value proposition but you won't be selling a wedding gift.

·
Registered
12,449 Posts
Hi Bro,
Welcome to the Forum and world of Watch Collecting!

Nice choice of Watch!

I was in Melbourne for a week only a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Congrats on your B&M!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I still think that you should get the speedy pro.

The B&M is running on a common Valjoux 7750 movement. It's Swiss alright but it is also common and plebeian.

The Speedy Pro's 1861 is more prestigious as the Lemania movement used by the Speedy Pro is now only found on Speedies since Lemania was bought up by Breguet.

You are getting a Breguet movement at less than 25% of the price of a Breguet chronograph.

Think of the speedy as a Mini with a Porsche engine while the B&M is the equivalent of a Volkswagen with a 20 year old Daihatsu engine.
I totally get that the speedy is objectively a better watch... And if I cared about something holding its value at all I'd make the more sensible decision. However this wedding gift's dollar value will go to zero as soon as we engrave a message on the back anyway, so I'm happier to do that with the B&M.

I definitely appreciate the technical info though. Thanks for the help.

-BroHagan.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Welcome to WUS and cograts on the big 30 and the coming nuptials! You are a lucky man indeed if you have a lady that actually is into watches too and will share that passion with you. My wife is far more interested in another purse or handbag and hasn't once even mentioned my latest purchase, an Omega Speedy even though I've been wearing it non stop for 2 or so weeks. .. Anyhooo, that B&M is a beauty and one of the things about watch collecting and enjoying is there's always another to yearn after! All part of the fun of it & Speedys will always be around and maybe you can consider one as a 5 or say 10 year anniversary gift! Wishing you all the best.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Welcome to WUS and cograts on the big 30 and the coming nuptials! You are a lucky man indeed if you have a lady that actually is into watches too and will share that passion with you. My wife is far more interested in another purse or handbag and hasn't once even mentioned my latest purchase, an Omega Speedy even though I've been wearing it non stop for 2 or so weeks. .. Anyhooo, that B&M is a beauty and one of the things about watch collecting and enjoying is there's always another to yearn after! All part of the fun of it & Speedys will always be around and maybe you can consider one as a 5 or say 10 year anniversary gift! Wishing you all the best.
Thanks so much.

I wouldn't say she's into watches at all, more that she is able to accept that I am into them, and not get caught up on why we're spending thousands of dollars on an item that pretty much does the same thing as a $100

As a watch enthusiast I guess that's all we can ask of our better halves... We'll see if she feels the same way as the collection grows :)

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts