WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,
Formerly a Breitling owner here, now gone to Omegas. I love the three Omega watches that I own, only problem is with Omega itself. To make a long story short, their "elitist" attitude lately has gotten to me. To be more specific, they revoked the Authorized Dealer status of my AD, because the North American rep decided that his shop didn't have enough high end watchmakers represented. This poor guy is the most respected and knowledgeable Omega AD in town, and has a flawless reputation! I think that Omega is somehow aggravated that they don't have the same name and reputation for quality as Rolex, and they are now doing entirely the wrong way about trying to promote their product. Anyway, enough of my griping.
My interests in watches are primarily: a simple dial, preferably not even a date, rugged and scratch resistant, small dial preferably under 36mm. Two of my Omegas fit that bill beautifully, but I am probably going to replace them. I have done some research on the Air-King, the Explorer and the Milgauss. I realize there is quite a price difference here, but I am very attracted to the Milgauss, especially the one with the green saphire dial, and the unusual orange second hand. However, I don't want to go through the "hard-to-get" game and go through a price war. I think the Air-King with the blue dial and orange numerals is very attractive, and also the Explorer with the black dial, which is I believe the only dial. They are both the size I like and have no date. I am wondering why the difference of about a grand in price though?
Anyway, I have always liked Rolex watches, and would be pleased to hear any comments regarding the above watches.
Cheers,
Carl

·
4,410 Posts
Welcome to the Rolex forum!

I am sure the people who own the above said watches will chime in shortly with their opinions.

The Explorer is a very popular watch around here, and for good reason. And if it were my money being spent, it is the one I would choose out of those three mentioned.

Good luck and enjoy the forum.

·
Registered
23,402 Posts
Welcome~Sorry to hear about your experience with Omegas. Not many retailers are authorized to represent a brand including yours truly unless they have the seal of approval. Unfortunately, this is the business world in which watch brands revolve around~Hope you find the right watch you're looking for, cheers! ;-)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Folks,
I realize there is quite a price difference here, but I am very attracted to the Milgauss, especially the one with the green saphire dial, and the unusual orange second hand. However, I don't want to go through the "hard-to-get" game and go through a price war.
Cheers,
Carl
Where are you located? The AD in Baltimore where I bought my DSSD had a green Milgauss in stock at retail and was flexible on the price.

·
Premium Member
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm in Vancouver, Canada. I'm not ready to get the watch yet, but I am thinking about which models would be the most appealing. Maybe all the nonsense that buyers apparently went through when the Milgauss was in short supply is over and done with. Thanks for the info, though. Importing a watch through customs would be a pain.
I am going to venture out on Saturday, to an AD downtown, and start looking at the Rolex models quite seriously. I always liked the Rolex watches, and tried not to pay attention to those who thought they were overpriced. There are some models, like the Air-King which seem, to my mind, quite "reasonable". I think my main interest would be in the Explorer, 36mm, no date. Maybe the AD will even have a Milgauss for me to look at.
Cheers,
Carl

·
Banned
1,219 Posts
Well vote with your feet thats what I say, you have already :-!

I also was never a fan of Rolex until I realised the quality and longevity of the brand. My main issue was the RRP was and is frankly ridiculous and it constantly pushed me away from buying one until i discovered used Rolex watches are such an amazing buy.

Now I search out the watch I want at the price I am prepared to pay and have never and will never buy new from an AD.

·
Premium Member
9,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well vote with your feet thats what I say, you have already :-!

I also was never a fan of Rolex until I realised the quality and longevity of the brand. My main issue was the RRP was and is frankly ridiculous and it constantly pushed me away from buying one until i discovered used Rolex watches are such an amazing buy.

Now I search out the watch I want at the price I am prepared to pay and have never and will never buy new from an AD.
I hear that the Air King is popular quite often with people getting their first Rolex, so there may be a good chance I can get one previously owned. I will keep it in mind! Thanks.
Cheers,
Carl

·
Banned
1,219 Posts
I have seen the Air King and as you say it makes a great intro to Rolex but people soon get bitten by the bug and move the Air King on, look at the Datejusts as well, major deals to be had on less than 5 years old models I got mine 2005 one RRP £4k for less than half price, as new, papers, recent service etc. Sounds also if you are into the smaller less in your face watches like me so if you fancy something a little older look at the oysterdate precision manual wind models, some cracking ones to had in mint condition for under £1000.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts