WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all of you guys!!1
I have been reading this great forum for a long time an decided to be a member of it:)
so, I want to know more about the Rolex - particular about the sea dweller and the sub-date, how good are they? how well made ? how durable and though? and will the slightly small size (40MM) is notciable or not?
also, wich one is better Omega or Rolex? what should I get , the above models or the Omega PO ?
and if I have the money or will have for the PO, is it worth holding myself a little more and getting a brand new Rolex that is twice or more expensive than a Omega?
I will probally have some more and more question, but I will like to hear from you, and tanx in advance :-!

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi there,

Welcome aboard to the forum. I don't own a Rolex, but as an owner of an Omega Seamaster AT, I'd say go for the Rolex, that is, if you don't have to break your back for it.
I made a conscious decision to buy an Omega because, IMO, it was the best watch that I could buy for the money that I was willing to spend.
Had my father been a Sheik, I would have undoubtedly gone for a Rolex.

MMT
Haa a Sheik:-d
Any way they both not cheap - (not a 15$ watch)
So, is it worth the extra $$$ to save for a Rolex?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have had Omega SMP for several years and just recently bought a Rolex Sub no date. The Omega has a little smoother finish, little better bracelet, and the hands glow better at night. THe Rolex has better resale value, will not loose any money. The Rolex also has a higher jewled inner movement and better inner movement. Also more of a rich diverse history. The Rolex movement is more shock resistant than the Omega ETA movement. Also, the Rolex is slightly smaller in diameter than the Omega, which in my opinion looks better. To me 36mm to 40mm watches are best. Above 40mm looks too large.

If you buy a Rolex, you will not regret. If you buy the Omega, you will still want a Rolex.

Also, I can tell you that after only 2.5 years of hard wear, my Omega does not keep running or keep good time at all. Must now get completely serviced. I have friends who have had their Rolexes and have hard used them for 2-3x that long with no service and they are still running.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i have been a rolex fan since i was 8 years old!
i used to love it when my mom and my sister wore their tt datejust back in the 70's proud. they used to get comments on them all the time.
now that i am a working man, i decided i wanted to fulfill my dream.
this is what i did. i put away 10 bucks a day for a year!
when i had close to 4G saved up, my friend gave me the last push and put me in touch with this particular person (legit) and took me to see the chronograph.
once i tried it on, i was sold. i handed over the knot of cash and i haven't taken it off in 3 years.
yes, i whack it here and there but this is what i bought it for. to wear it.
i would suggest, if you can get the ro ro. go for it. becasue in time, the price you paid for it will be the price of it used. it is a no lose situation.
as long as it is in good shape.

as far as the 40mm size, don't worry about it. a Rolex is a Rolex is a Rolex. anybody that knows whatches will comment on how beautiful it is.

to end this long post i want to mention what this older watch collector man i know said. a Rolex is a Mercedes Benz of watches and an Omega is the Cadillac.

good luck on your decision.

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EAD,

As said, it really depends on how hard you have to work to save that extra money. You also have to take into consideration that for most mortals, both watches are a once in a life-time investment, so it's best to make that right choice from the beginning.
Undeniably, both companies make excellent watches.
IMHO, Rolex is an A, and Omega is an A- category watch. (The Omega folks are not going to like me saying this ;-)), and yes, I believe that there are other brands out there (besides Rolex & Omega ;-)) that are preferable aspirants for an A+, but that's a different story all together! :)). Good luck and do let me/us know what you have finally decided upon. Post some pictures if you can.

MMT

p.s.
If you are still having a difficult time deciding which brand to buy, I recommend you to wait until you save enough money to be able to buy a Rolex, then have a good look at both brands in the shops, and then make your final decision.
Yep I think for example petek phikppe is an A+ watch, and so on
but for me its Omega vs Rolex, and like you said I don't know if I will have the opportunity for buying anthor that expensive watch in the future, so I do want it to be uniqe and special! something to be proud of for at least 25 years to come, and that it will work fine all that time :)
and I do want to make the best I can for the first time I am buying a really "major" watch
and for saving money, yeah I cant make it, but it may take me something like a year from now:-s because I am not earning that much now, and have many other expenses

I will definately encourage you to!!! I saving up for 1 too!
For how long? and what do you have now? and saving for what?

I have had Omega SMP for several years and just recently bought a Rolex Sub no date. The Omega has a little smoother finish, little better bracelet, and the hands glow better at night. THe Rolex has better resale value, will not loose any money. The Rolex also has a higher jewled inner movement and better inner movement. Also more of a rich diverse history. The Rolex movement is more shock resistant than the Omega ETA movement. Also, the Rolex is slightly smaller in diameter than the Omega, which in my opinion looks better. To me 36mm to 40mm watches are best. Above 40mm looks too large.

If you buy a Rolex, you will not regret. If you buy the Omega, you will still want a Rolex.

Also, I can tell you that after only 2.5 years of hard wear, my Omega does not keep running or keep good time at all. Must now get completely serviced. I have friends who have had their Rolexes and have hard used them for 2-3x that long with no service and they are still running.
You are right about that if I will have an Omega, I will allways want a Rolex! because I do love Rolex, and the Sub Date or SEA Dweller the most!
and I know it is once a lifetime Watch to go, that will service me for years too come, but I guess the accountant in me just see the $ and get shocked (I know they are rich people here who probably laugh now, but not any one can spend up to 6000$ on a watch)

i have been a rolex fan since i was 8 years old!
i used to love it when my mom and my sister wore their tt datejust back in the 70's proud. they used to get comments on them all the time.
now that i am a working man, i decided i wanted to fulfill my dream.
this is what i did. i put away 10 bucks a day for a year!
when i had close to 4G saved up, my friend gave me the last push and put me in touch with this particular person (legit) and took me to see the chronograph.
once i tried it on, i was sold. i handed over the knot of cash and i haven't taken it off in 3 years.
yes, i whack it here and there but this is what i bought it for. to wear it.
i would suggest, if you can get the ro ro. go for it. becasue in time, the price you paid for it will be the price of it used. it is a no lose situation.
as long as it is in good shape.

as far as the 40mm size, don't worry about it. a Rolex is a Rolex is a Rolex. anybody that knows whatches will comment on how beautiful it is.

to end this long post i want to mention what this older watch collector man i know said. a Rolex is a Mercedes Benz of watches and an Omega is the Cadillac.

good luck on your decision.
Great story! my father had IWC watch, and since than I guess I have that urge to get a Rolex (and I will get a classic IWC one day too ;-) )
about the size, is it a problam or not? 40mm ?
and I think Rolex is more like Mercedes and Omega is BMW type ;-)

so, any other great comments guys? :-!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I tried on a IWC Spitfire Pilot's watch with metal bracelet recently at the Airport in Bangkok. Now that IWC is a very very nice finishied practical watch as well. I really want to buy that watch as well. The bracelet was the best I have ever seen with a watch. Very simple and classic watch.

Get the Seadweller or Sub (date or no date) and you will be happy and not look back and will use it forever! ALso take a hard look at the Explorer 1, I am very happy with mine.

I have posted this before, but ADs in Hong Kong are about 25% cheaper than the MSRP of Rolex watches in the USA. And that is for brand new. For the price of your USA bought Rolex, you could fly to hong kong, spend a couple of days sight seeing, and buy a Rolex.

HK Prices

Explorer 1 $3250
Sub no date $3450
Sub with Date/GMT/Explorer II $3950
Seadweller $4100

Round trip airfare to Hong Kong from USA $900

Hotel/Food/Misc. for 3 days-2 Nights $350

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried on a IWC Spitfire Pilot's watch with metal bracelet recently at the Airport in Bangkok. Now that IWC is a very very nice finishied practical watch as well. I really want to buy that watch as well. The bracelet was the best I have ever seen with a watch. Very simple and classic watch.

Get the Seadweller or Sub (date or no date) and you will be happy and not look back and will use it forever! ALso take a hard look at the Explorer 1, I am very happy with mine.

I have posted this before, but ADs in Hong Kong are about 25% cheaper than the MSRP of Rolex watches in the USA. And that is for brand new. For the price of your USA bought Rolex, you could fly to hong kong, spend a couple of days sight seeing, and buy a Rolex.

HK Prices

Explorer 1 $3250
Sub no date $3450
Sub with Date/GMT/Explorer II $3950
Seadweller $4100

Round trip airfare to Hong Kong from USA $900

Hotel/Food/Misc. for 3 days-2 Nights $350
WOW Seadweller $4100, in USE it is 5400 $, that is more than 1000 $ less :-!
any way, I live in Israel, any onw know the prices here? and a good AD here?

and if IWC is so great, why didn't you buy it? or got it?
and why do you think I will so love my Rolex and not regret it? :think: explain me please:)

·
Registered
891 Posts
IMH Rolex is Rolls-Royce to me. Omega is BMW that's all.

I currently have a 40 yr old Rolex SS DateJust that belonged to my grandfather.Ever since I had it,I was in love with it.

Currently saving for a Sub Date or SeaDweller.

Hey I am only 15(Juz turned 15 on 23rd dec LOL)! hahha...Spent quite abit of my money on my phones...now gotta be very disciplined if I want my Rolex. Hoping to get one by the age of 18.

I guess my 2007 resolution is to get my ROLEX!!
Shall mark out my plans b4 2007. Lol.

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I currently have a 40 yr old Rolex SS DateJust that belonged to my grandfather.Ever since I had it,I was in love with it.

Hey I am only 15(Juz turned 15 on 23rd dec LOL)! hahha...Spent quite abit of my money on my phones...now gotta be very disciplined if I want my Rolex. Hoping to get one by the age of 18.

Wish you good luck! I hope to I will get my preferd watch by the end of 2007 ;-)
Why do you love Rolex? and why do you prefer it compare to Omega?

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Wish you good luck! I hope to I will get my preferd watch by the end of 2007 ;-)
Why do you love Rolex? and why do you prefer it compare to Omega?

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Strange . . .:), I coincidentally visited Tel-Aviv in May of this year, and also searched for watch shops in my spare time. I only found 3. One was not far away from the Itzchak Rabin square, another was almost opposite the Hilton, and a third one is a bit difficult to explain. It was two or three streets parallel to the beach, near the end of central Tel-Aviv in northern direction. Comparing prices, I noticed that an ETERNA Alarm, for example, costs almost US$ 450 more than in central Europe, so you might consider travelling to Europe to make your purchase.

MMT
Yeah I know the prices here are really high!
I wish to have more discount prices like in Japen for example, but going to Europe is at least 400$ so I am not sure its worth it o|

if only Rolex was much cheaper here :think:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Did not get the IWC Spitfire (Yet) as had just recently bought a Rolex and did not have the money. Probably will buy in near future. Also want to get a Rolex GMT II. That will probably finish my watch collection, anymore over that and it would over the top.

You will not regret getting Rolex, cause it is top of the line, retains or appreciates in value, can sell anywhere if you need to, has a really diverse and rich history, design has not changed much over the last 50 years for most all the sport models, is a status symbol, looks good, rugged, can pass down to future generations, chicks dig them!

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did not get the IWC Spitfire (Yet) as had just recently bought a Rolex and did not have the money. Probably will buy in near future. Also want to get a Rolex GMT II. That will probably finish my watch collection, anymore over that and it would over the top.

You will not regret getting Rolex, cause it is top of the line, retains or appreciates in value, can sell anywhere if you need to, has a really diverse and rich history, design has not changed much over the last 50 years for most all the sport models, is a status symbol, looks good, rugged, can pass down to future generations, chicks dig them!
chicks really dig it? b-)
that is good ;-) (just laughing, but it does nice to have a watch that get some observation)

Is Rolex is that top of the line? really? I mean most of the people knows the name, but is there more than just a name after it? - about retains its value I care less, I don't buy a watch for selling it.
IS it that bullet prof? I love strong though watches that won't need to fix every time I go out to the "wild" with them
and I do hope I can't pass it to other generations too |> , what do you think? and ofcurse the most issue here is the $ o|

·
Registered
891 Posts
Actually,my current Rolex is about 40 yrs old. I know that Rolex watches can last a very long time and can be passed down for generations.And the designs of Rolex watches is just perfect IMO,I somehow love every model of Rolex. Hahaha...Rolex also has resale value,in case of emergency you can exchange it for some cash. Absolutely LOVE IT! I hav yet to own an Omega yet,but have no intrest in it.

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I love Rolexs! and all kinds of other fine watchs like IWC or Omega
I just think the Omega PO is such a fine one, so it is an hard decision between it and the Sea Dweller:-s
also, I am afraid that after getting the $ and buying Rolex, after some time of use I will get used to it and ask meself if it was worth the extra extra $$$
What do you think?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I you buy a Seadweller and down the road get tired of it (which I do not think will happen) and want to sell it, you will be able to sell it for pretty much what you paid for it. (if you take my advice and buy in Hong Kong, you will be able to sell it for more than you bought it). If you buy a Omega PO and down the road tire of it, or decide you want to sell and buy the Rolex, you will proabably only be able to sell it for 70% or less what you paid. Omegas, though very nice, depraciate quite a bit once they are used. Rolex watches retain their value.

Pay the extra, buy the seadweller, and wear for the next 40 years.

·
Registered
412 Posts

Robust? looks like it.:-!

If the price is really bothering you get the Planet Ocean, really nice watch but I bet you will get the rolex in the end so save your self the hassle and get the Sea Dweller.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts