WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to watch repair and I am struggling with the re installation of the seconds hand on two different new movements I am installing. The movements are Harley Ronda 515.24H and Miyota/Citizen 2105. I can not successfully get the seconds hand shaft over the Pinion. I have a hand setting tool set but I a finding it impossible to get this .20mm shaft on the seconds hand onto the pinion. I have had no trouble with the GMT hand,Hour and minute hands on the Ronda or Hour & minute hand on the miyota. These watches are Invicta's (yes I know the feelings about them) but the repair estimate at Parsec Ent. was from $125 to $150 PER watch to fix. The movements were less than $12 ea. I figured these would be ideal to learn on and I like these watches. The Miyota is in a Caravelle by Bulova. Any help would be appreciated.
Kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Thats why the watch repair guy charge for these services ! It can be difficult to install for a novice.

Hint : you need a better scope ! 10X above.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Made for close up detailed work, the LED Lighted Head Magnifier Visor has up to 10X magnification with a combination of fixed, flip-up, and monocle lenses. Bright dual LEDs adjusts vertically and horizontally and can be removed for use independent of the magnifier. This is what I am using. Also I could have replaced all three watches for the repair.price so that wasn't a practical ,logical or intelligent choice. I am sure their charges are fair market value and would make sense for more expensive watches. I only sought some advice so thank you for your reply I greatly appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everyone was a novice at one time in their life for everything, that's why we learn by doing and then we are no longer novices. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. I have read everything and watched every video online I can find but to no avail.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Whether replacing hands or replacing movements, there is frequently fitting involved. There are two possible problems: 1. you just aren't setting the pipe (on the hand) over the ss post accurately enough to be able to press it into position, or 2. the pipe on the hand is too small or too large. The former is a matter of techique, so the solution is to use good technique and practice. The latter is common, and requires using a very fine broach to open up the hole...or a pinvise or lathe collet to close the pipe. I'm guessing you need to open the pipe up with a broach. If this is the case, you'll probably need a set of pivot broaches...very small...very delicate...and require a very light touch. Best of luck.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Whether replacing hands or replacing movements, there is frequently fitting involved. There are two possible problems: 1. you just aren't setting the pipe (on the hand) over the ss post accurately enough to be able to press it into position, or 2. the pipe on the hand is too small or too large. The former is a matter of techique, so the solution is to use good technique and practice. The latter is common, and requires using a very fine broach to open up the hole...or a pinvise or lathe collet to close the pipe. I'm guessing you need to open the pipe up with a broach. If this is the case, you'll probably need a set of pivot broaches...very small...very delicate...and require a very light touch. Best of luck.
This.

And I'll add, you can read every book and watch a million videos on the subject which is good...but it takes actual hands on practice and time to learn. Don't be discouraged, never give up and you will do good. I applaud you for changing the movements yourself, most likely you learned something from each. Fitting the second hands will teach you some more... and cost you some more money for tools.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I too am a relative beginner and I've learnt (as others have said) good magnification,good lighting and getting my eyes lined at the same level as the movement so you can see the post oh and controlling my breathing as I go in to place the second hand ...and practice practice practice.

I initially dreaded putting s/hands on...now i'm a little more confident and don't find it too taxing

Good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for the encouraging advice. I am in the process of deciding on some new hands for each watch as I may have ruined the fit tolerance with my many attempts. Seconds hands for sure since the are the ones giving me the most trouble.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
One additional note:
Citizen 2105 hands are: 1.2mm/0.7mm/0.2 mm (aka 120/70/20).
Rhonda hands are: 120/70/17 (note that the ss hand is a .17mm hole).
Doesn't sound like much difference...but it's enough to cause a problem.
0.17 mm pipe can usually be broached out to 0.20mm easily enough...but it requires the correct broach and a light touch.
Regards,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts