WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased a 8mm watchmakers lathe with a star headstock. i have a few collets, but looking for some more - wheres a good place to get them (2nd hand preferably) and also do they all fit ?

If not , what should i be looking for when looking for compatible collets?

Thanks

Jonathan

·
Registered
551 Posts
Ebay is a good source of second hand collets although the condition may vary considerably. Caveat emptor and all that. Not all collets are the same either in taper, length or threading for the draw-bar.

Boley are 32mm long with a maximum diameter of 13 mm the thread is also 40 t.p.i BSW X 0.270"
Wolf-Jahn collets are 34.5 mm long with a maximum diameter of 13 mm the thread is an English-pattern 40 t.p.i BSW X 0.270"
Boley-Leinin are pretty much the same as the Wolf-Jahn ones but a 0.275" thread (which is probably just about close enough to interchange).

You just have to decide which your lathe needs. If it will help you can post me one of your collets and I will compare it with my collection and post it back to you with details of what you should be looking for. Alternatively just trial and error - probably start with Boley collets as they tend to be most common in the UK. IF they don't fit you shouldn't have too much trouble shifting them on eBay or the like.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ebay is a good source of second hand collets although the condition may vary considerably. Caveat emptor and all that. Not all collets are the same either in taper, length or threading for the draw-bar.

Boley are 32mm long with a maximum diameter of 13 mm the thread is also 40 t.p.i BSW X 0.270"
Wolf-Jahn collets are 34.5 mm long with a maximum diameter of 13 mm the thread is an English-pattern 40 t.p.i BSW X 0.270"
Boley-Leinin are pretty much the same as the Wolf-Jahn ones but a 0.275" thread (which is probably just about close enough to interchange).

You just have to decide which your lathe needs. If it will help you can post me one of your collets and I will compare it with my collection and post it back to you with details of what you should be looking for. Alternatively just trial and error - probably start with Boley collets as they tend to be most common in the UK. IF they don't fit you shouldn't have too much trouble shifting them on eBay or the like.

Thanks for the response. i will send over some pics when i get back from work.

The headstock is Star if that helps?

THanks

Jonathan

·
Registered
551 Posts
I forgot - Lorch Schmidt is the other common collet style. I don't have the measurements to hand as I don't use them, but I am sure Google would oblige.
Unless you know which style your Star headstock takes, I am afraid it doesn't help, though careful measurement of your existing collets will.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I forgot - Lorch Schmidt is the other common collet style. I don't have the measurements to hand as I don't use them, but I am sure Google would oblige.
Unless you know which style your Star headstock takes, I am afraid it doesn't help, though careful measurement of your existing collets will.

Geneva Pattern i think ?

See below...

Many thanks

Jonathan

·
Registered
551 Posts
"Geneva pattern" describes the general style of the lathe. Visually they all look superficially similar, so you will need to accurately measure your existing collets to differentiate between the different styles. The differences are small enough not to be obvious from a photo.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I will also add that as far as I'm aware, all of the 8mm collets have the same taper - a 40 degree included angle. As mentioned, the overall length of the collet and the differences in thread pitch and thread diameter are the big things to look out for. I have heard there are also slight variations in body diameter (7.98mm versus 8.00mm, for example), but as long as the collet is seating correctly in the spindle taper then a slightly smaller body diameter is fine.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Dashto - has lathe tools and assessories in the 2nd hand status. The site is horrid but once you get used to it you can find things very easily and the Tom is top-notch with his customer care.

If you have not already, purchase a copy of "The modern Watch Makers Lathe and How to Use It" by Archie Perkins. Expensive book ($120) but between the instruction in there and Fried's book I figured out a lot with my 2nd (3d or likely 4th) hand Wolf-Jahn lathe.

Cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts