WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought i'd make an intro post as i'm new to the forum, but been a long time watch enthusiast.
I recently purchased my first automatic watch on a cruise a few weeks ago, and so far i'm loving it. It's the Tag Heuer Aquaracer Calibre 5 (WBD2112).

I own a couple Bulova watches as well. Both Marine Star, one blue dial, one black dial. The blue dial was a gift from an ex gf in highschool 19 years ago. After all this time it's been a great watch that works perfectly and keeps time. Which is why i purchased the black dial back in 2007.
In the long time since 2007 i haven't purchased any watches except the
huawei smart watch with stainless steel band, back in 2015. In the last month i recently retired the Huawei smart watch and decided to get back into actual watches that will hold value, vs tech junk that is expensive and will fail in 2-5 years. Hence the Tag recently purchased.

I have my eyes set on a few Omega Seamasters, a speedmaster moonphase, a Tag Carerra, a Movado, as well as a Nomos Glashutte. So i'm looking forward to learning more on here and growing my collection. I think a black dial Seamaster is in my very near future...

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I have a M235i (yes I know its not a real M car) so I like your avatar! Sounds like your collection is off to a good start! Hope you stay awhile and share some pics!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'll grab a pic of my current "collection" and post them shortly.

As for your M235i, they're great cars! My current ///M and garage queen is an E46 M3 in Laguna Seca Blue.

Reactions: Weetabix

·
Banned
309 Posts
Welcome...searching for a black dial Seamaster myself.

Reactions: my fault

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Being new, i've recently come across jomashop.com. Are they authorized dealers, reputable, etc? Their prices seem too good to be true.

·
Registered
36,322 Posts
Being new, i've recently come across jomashop.com. Are they authorized dealers, reputable, etc? Their prices seem too good to be true.
Joma is reputable, occasionally low prices, though they can usually be beat. Right now Ashford tend to be lower and some eBay sellers as well, depending on what you are buying. Recently Eterna, Glycine, Alpina, and some Hamilton are low.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Material property Analog watch Watch Fashion accessory Jewellery Silver Land vehicle Vehicle Car Blue Personal luxury car

Collection so far. And, the M3.

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
Welcome to the forum "my fault." |>

You are hooked. :)

You are SOoooo hooked! :-d :-d :-d :-d

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Joma has direct access to my bank account....great to buy from, no problems for me just know that the prices can fluctuate so do your homework before you pull the trigger.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You have an excellent taste in cars! My dad has an F82 and owned an E93 previously, both M

I find a lot of car guys like watches too. Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Silicone Valley, California
3,773 Posts
Welcome to the forum; I too started with an Aquaracer Calibre 5. It's a Sellita SW200-1 elabore grade movement, the workhorse in 80% of the three handers out there. It was my gateway watch and has been indestructible even though it's my beater that I wear on weekends and mow the lawn with.

I recently got it's first service at the GM dealer I bought it from for a good price (here on the west coast) of $250 after wearing it for five years, the first two as my only watch. It's pretty consistent at about -4 spd though when the service warranty expires in a few months, I'll open it up and give it a nudge.

I'm sure you'll have many happy years with it, everything from changing diapers to Wreck diving. One thing to think about, most insurers will use the purchase receipt as an appraisal for one year after the purchase. Get it insured now and save the cost of an appraisal. My insurance runs at $10 per year per $1000 insured and covers any loss. I see from the MSRP, it would cost you $22 per year; a pittance compared to the reassurance it gives.

Oh, and you can set the date at any time with impunity. The Sellitta SW200-1 copied the ETA 2824-2 safety date advance mechanism that just springs out of the way when you use the fast date set while it's engaged.

The Seamaster is definitely a good next step, particularly if you like divers. While similar to the Aquaracer in function, it has refinements that justify the price difference (well that's subjective, but I think so).

Good hunting
Dave

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Just be aware that Jomashop and Ashford, among others, are considered gray market dealers. Their watches are genuine and new, but they are usually not authorized dealers for the brand, so they generally come with the vendor's own third party warranty, not the original manufacturer's. Also, their customer service can be considered "lacking" by some compared to authorized dealers. As long as you know what you're getting into, the gray market can save you some significant cheddar.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You have an excellent taste in cars! My dad has an F82 and owned an E93 previously, both M

I find a lot of car guys like watches too. Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! I have a few friends with F82's, and other ///M cars. I've been contemplating buying my Fiance either an F80 M3 or F10 M5 next year, so i'll have another ///M to play with. She only drives about 60 miles per week back and forth to work, so it'd be another toy for us both. We usually drive my daily everywhere as it's a company car that i replace every four years.
A few of my "car friends" are definitely into watches also, so i agree. I've always been into watches i just didn't have the budget when i was younger, and for the last few years i kind of enjoyed my smart watch so i kept telling myself "i'd never spend that much on a regular watch again". Well, guess i was lying to myself. lol

Welcome to the forum; I too started with an Aquaracer Calibre 5. It's a Sellita SW200-1 elabore grade movement, the workhorse in 80% of the three handers out there. It was my gateway watch and has been indestructible even though it's my beater that I wear on weekends and mow the lawn with.

I recently got it's first service at the GM dealer I bought it from for a good price (here on the west coast) of $250 after wearing it for five years, the first two as my only watch. It's pretty consistent at about -4 spd though when the service warranty expires in a few months, I'll open it up and give it a nudge.

I'm sure you'll have many happy years with it, everything from changing diapers to Wreck diving. One thing to think about, most insurers will use the purchase receipt as an appraisal for one year after the purchase. Get it insured now and save the cost of an appraisal. My insurance runs at $10 per year per $1000 insured and covers any loss. I see from the MSRP, it would cost you $22 per year; a pittance compared to the reassurance it gives.

Oh, and you can set the date at any time with impunity. The Sellitta SW200-1 copied the ETA 2824-2 safety date advance mechanism that just springs out of the way when you use the fast date set while it's engaged.

The Seamaster is definitely a good next step, particularly if you like divers. While similar to the Aquaracer in function, it has refinements that justify the price difference (well that's subjective, but I think so).

Good hunting
Dave
Thanks for all the info! I honestly didn't even think about insurance on it, so that's a good reminder. I'll have to look into adding it to the policy i took out on my fiance's rings.
I just told the fiance that i want the Omega next, and showed it to her, and she just rolled her eyes lol. I definitely prefer divers, mostly for the looks but, for the functionality as well. We just got certified last year so it's nice to be able to wear it diving and use it for it's intended purpose.

Just be aware that Jomashop and Ashford, among others, are considered gray market dealers. Their watches are genuine and new, but they are usually not authorized dealers for the brand, so they generally come with the vendor's own third party warranty, not the original manufacturer's. Also, their customer service can be considered "lacking" by some compared to authorized dealers. As long as you know what you're getting into, the gray market can save you some significant cheddar.
That's the info i was mainly looking for. I'm all about saving money but i do prefer the original manufacturer's warranty. Just means i'll have to do some research when i'm ready to pull the trigger on the Seamaster. I think i may buy it as a wedding present to myself next year lol.

·
Premium Member
Silicone Valley, California
3,773 Posts
We just got certified last year so it's nice to be able to wear it diving and use it for it's intended purpose.
Gratuitous Dive Pr0n, coming up:

Underwater Reef Marine biology Scuba diving Coral reef
Fish Marine biology Tiger shark Underwater Sand tiger shark
Wrist Watch Water Hand Fashion accessory
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory
Water Hand Finger Vehicle
Watch Fashion accessory Ring Jewellery Metal

The bottom two are my WAN2110 I mentioned above.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts