WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was catching up on the new watches coming out this year. This model is a show stopper, much better than the new offerings by Rolex! This Tudor has it all. It might be the good looks, prestigious brand, or bund strap, but really my favorite part is that the price is 2800-2900. Not including discounts!

pictures obviously not mine

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,343 Posts
Very nice. First it was a good looking Pelagos and now an attractive Ranger. I do wish they would have carried the minute hand lume all the way.

·
Registered
14,033 Posts
I rarely post a comment to big news with a negative, but the dial looks like a cheap printed Stuhrling and the hands look really cheap. It may look great in person, but I wouldn't give you $500 for that watch if it's as underwhelming in person as it is in those pics.

Sorry. I hope everyone else loves it and that the WIS world is better as a result. Cheers.

·
Registered
9,386 Posts
Yep - beautiful watch. My understanding is that the numbers are hand painted, as well - for that extra cool factor.

Baselworld 2014: Tudor

I'd prefer it at 39mm, but 41mm isn't horrid. In today's day and age that's still a conservative, subtle size.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Cheap looking? Seriously? The ranger is by far one of the better offerings to come from Basel this year.
I gotta admit, it does nothing for me either. I don't know if I'd call it "cheap-looking," but I do find it rather plain and unexciting. Obviously the quality is there because it's Tudor, but if that dial said Timex it wouldn't look out of place to me. I see a well-executed, classy dial, and I quite like the notched leather strap, but this isn't a watch that would make me look twice.

Of course, pics lie. Seiko somehow manages to make Grand Seikos look flat and lifeless in official images, after all.

*edit* Oh, duh, as it says right by the pics, that's a bund strap. Eh, honestly, that makes me even less interested.

·
Registered
9,386 Posts
Nothing about that watch says "I'm worth $2800."
In fairness, which watch out there say's anything like "I'm worth what you're going to end up paying for me"?

(Caveat - excluding basic, very cheap, watches that offer a lot - Seiko 5s, Monsters, etc., super-high tech ABCs, and a variety of Citizen quartz watches that do everything and never die).

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Sorry... Not Feeling It Either. In Fact A Big Thumbs Down!

Very Sad That This Was A "Hot One" At Basel... This Is A Very Scary statement.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just don't understand the praise for 'clean' and 'simple' dial designs. I take it more as being lazy/uncreative/unoriginal and ding those kinds of watches. There is nothing impressive or drawing about this watch outside the brand name Tudor.

·
Registered
9,386 Posts
I just don't understand the praise for 'clean' and 'simple' dial designs. I take it more as being lazy/uncreative/unoriginal and ding those kinds of watches. There is nothing impressive or drawing about this watch outside the brand name Tudor.
Just different tastes. Less can be more in a lot of people's eyes. Including mine. Design is about more than complexity. It's about balancing the dial. Combining colors. Utilizing brushed versus polished metals. Conveying information. And in this case, doing it in a way that also provides a nod to the historic Ranger series of watches made by Tudor. That can take as much effort and originality and creativity as a more complex design. Especially when the smallest error can completely ruin the design of a watch - note, for instance, the almost universally panned 'short hands' on the new 39mm explorer.

What I like about this watch is how authentic it is to the older watches - the drilled lugs, the bracelet that doesn't fit to the case. The hand painted numbers on the dial. And yes, the simplicity. If I had my choice - I'd reduce it's size, and bring the lume out to the end of the minute hand (as already suggested). But that's it.

Now, I don't think it's a home run like the Black Bay, the Pelagos, or the Heritage Chronos. But it's at least a stand up double.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
There's a lot to be said for taking something "clean and simple" and executing it very well. I assume this watch does that.

Personally, it's just not what I look to Tudor for. I can get "well executed clean and simple" from a variety of places. I look to Tudor for sporty retro-inspired designs, because that's where I see Tudor doing stuff I don't find elsewhere.

·
Registered
15,023 Posts
Eh, clean and simple dials can work well sometimes, for me anyways :think: . . .

Attachments

Reactions: westlake

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
I'm Not Going To Shell Out $2800 For A "Stand Up Double". There's Something To Be Proud Of...

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Was hoping to see actual wrist shot from member. Have you seen the promo video on youtube? Interesting but I doubt ppl will take this watch to go to Alaska

·
Registered
154 Posts
Eh, clean and simple dials can work well sometimes, for me anyways :think: . . .
I don't consider that watch so clean and simple... Looks nice! Original hands, Roman Numerals, mini-seconds dial... I like it!

The Ranger isn't just clean and simple... It just seems so basic. As someone else said, throw Timex on that watch and I would believe it 100%.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts