WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

New Vintage Hammy

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Surfmonkey 
#1 · (Edited)
So I went to a jewelry store here in town today to get a battery changed in my Wenger Yacht Timer when a tray of four vintage watches caught my eye. After spending a good 45 minutes debating between a Hamilton and a Benrus, I ended up purchasing the Hamilton (like the longer case, the Benrus was too square for my wrist). Before I bought it I asked to see the movement, at which point they told me they service all movements immediately when given watches. The case is 10k rolled gold (my first watch made out of a precious metal) with a stainless steel case back and lizard strap (the strap is not original, apparently the original fell apart from age when they got it). But yeah, for $240 I'm reeeeealy happy :D. It does have a slight dent on the side opposite the crown and there are some light scratches, but nothing terrible.

Sorry about the pic quality, shots were done with my blackberry. Also, as a side note/personal opinion, I'd say this def meets the most stringent WIS definitions of a dress watch (precious metal, leather, mechanical, second subdial, etc).

Anyways, I'm done talking. Enjoy!

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys!

also, could someone help me determine the age of the watch? Everywhere I've looked has said to use the serial number on the movement, but the only number on the movement is "730" (seen under the word "hamilton" on the pic of the movement), but that would date this piece to 1893 (according to tables online), so i figured that was the movement number. Any help dating the piece would be appreciated

#7 ·
Thanks for all the info, the shop really couldnt tell me anything other than they thought it was made between the 40's-50's, so I'm interested in finding out anything i can about it. I was debating in the store between this and a Benrus for the same price, and I definitely think i made the right choice. This watch is stunning in person IMHO, but of course im slightly biased ;)

#8 ·
Head over to the NAWCC forum and ask there. There are a bunch of experts on vintage Hamilton wrist watches there who will be more than happy to help you learn all about your watch. Congratulations on a great purchase!

#11 ·
Here's the link. Shoot them some pictures and a description and they'll give you more info than you know what to do with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.