WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Continuing from my other thread, I dug deeper into UssrWatch's social media page and found some more interesting information. I believe someone mentioned Vostok was looking to provide watches for the military again, but I don't think I saw any further information surface here. Well it turns out there two models, АМНЧ-2 and АМНЧ-3, for the land and marine forces respectively. There's some conflicting information so exact details might be wrong. The separate company called Vostok Designs supposedly designed them over seven years and ordered 40,000 through the Vostok factory and will likely order thousands more for the Ministry of Defense, as part of a whole set of soldier "Warrior" equipment.

060 case flipped for left-side crown, but made with brass for its electromagnetic resistance, is 200m water resistance, titanium oxycarbonitride coating, lumed bezel, 2416b automatic movement, and water resistant butterfly leather strap.

Hopefully someone else can translate the other details, but I'm assuming these aren't available to the public based on the woes in the comments (Other comments aren't too pleased with these being used over G-Shocks, complaints about Russian versus Soviet quality, asserting the left crown is Putin's preference, etc.).

News article: Минобороны заказало 40 Ñ‚Ñ‹Ñ�Ñ�ч чаÑ�ов длÑ� "Ð.атника" — Ð.оÑ�Ñ�ийÑ�каÑ� газета
http://www.vostok-design.com/армейские-часы.html

Not sure which designs are final, this is what is shown on Vostok-Design's website:

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
This is hugely interesting Comrade Arizone - thank you for sharing. I will, of course, SOMEHOW, have to get hold of these watches...

·
Registered
479 Posts
Thanks for bringing this very interersting article to our attention, comrade Arizona!

The russian article mentiones different code names for models, 6Э4-1 (6E4-1) for ground forces and 6Э4-2 for marine infantry and it claims the marine inf. version is capable of diving to 100 meters deep. I'm not sure if this is the actual diving deep or the common watch designation "100 M". It doesn't mention the movement code, but states is mechanical, autwinding. Due to electronic nature of modern warfare, stressed is the importance of being resistant to electromagnetic waves/radiation. Then deals with numbers being and planned produced, and the watch will be part of the new equipment module "warrior", which will include 10 sub-modules, including navigation, communication, battle armor, improved aiming and increased survivability in difficult circumstances. It's a project like american "land warrior" or "21st century warrior" of several European countries.

About the left-sided crown, it can be useful for military, as it's less likely to get stuck into some equipment and consequently damaged in battle conditions, it's a bit easier to pull gloves over and so on. I realized that recently when I was in hurry and stuck my amphibia crown into jacket sleeve; after harsh pulling, amphibia survived, but I pulled out one of the spingbars. Not a big deal, but in battle conditions such details are important.

And i can only share comrade's Geoff desire to get hands on one of these (actually, one of these on my hand) ;-) I hope there will be some "leaking" of those thousands produced which won't seriously compromise Russia's defence abilities, but will make many collectors (and sellers) happy.

·
Premium Member
6,989 Posts
Wow. Very cool.

I understand the thoughts about the state of today's modern warfare (that it may be electromagnetic rather than combustion- and projectile-based), but could you imagine a "grunt" infantryman receiving a mechanical watch as part of his uniform today? Or anyone whose calculations need to be accurate to the second?

They're going to be quite the collector's items, and as a collector, I think they're quite neat. But I'm not quite sure they'll be practical as an actually issued piece of equipment.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Wow. Very cool.

I understand the thoughts about the state of today's modern warfare (that it may be electromagnetic rather than combustion- and projectile-based), but could you imagine a "grunt" infantryman receiving a mechanical watch as part of his uniform today? Or anyone whose calculations need to be accurate to the second?

They're going to be quite the collector's items, and as a collector, I think they're quite neat. But I'm not quite sure they'll be practical as an actually issued piece of equipment.
Why not... if it is going to be electronic warfare surely an electronic watch would suffer far more than a mechanical one ?

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Why not... if it is going to be electronic warfare surely an electronic watch would suffer far more than a mechanical one ?
I think that the men will have hi tech devices and won't need their watch for calculations! The watch would be a must, yet the lowest technology device.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I think that the men will have hi tech devices and won't need their watch for calculations! The watch would be a must, yet the lowest technology device.
Agree. The modern guided missiles and similar weapons all have their own guiding computers, and there are ballistic computers for classic artillery available for at least 30 years. Although, if everything fails and nuclear electromagnetic blast burns all digital equipment, an analoge watch will be very useful. And having knowledge how to equate ballistic elements on paper (I learned that years ago...). But the "lowest", yet the most reliable technology for this new warrior will be, according to the pictures, good old Kalashnikov. With only insignificant cosmetic changes, if we omit the new electronic aiming device?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
This design isn't entirely new -- They looked familiar to me, and I dug up an old thread that suggests this has been in the works for several years. If you look at the old "Armeyskie" prototypes from 2010, you can see the evolution of the current design:

Of course back then, Vostok had just undergone a reorganization and Maktime was going for the military contract, being the more stable company at the time. They would subcontract to Vostok for 2409 watches for privates and sergeants and 2416B watches to officers of lower and middle ranks, and would manufacture 3133 Chronographs based on the Aviator case to more senior officers. Sadly, this apparently never came to pass and 3133 production stopped a year later, but Vostok must have picked up the pieces of the old Armeyskie project. You can really see the similarities in the bronze cases and white bezel indices.

Here's the old thread from 2010:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f10/maktime-vostok-armeyskie-watches-new-476346.html

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
The picture showing two watches in boxes have solar compass bezels fitted; that might give more practicality.

It is interesting to see that a brand new date wheel was devised to allow for the date window to be relocated to the 9 o'clock position. To my mind it's not the best idea as most people would be more familiar to having it at the 3 o'clock position: even though the watch has seen a left-hand-side crown conversion which involves no new parts in its purest form, it would still make more sense to keep it at 3 for the sake of familiarity.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Very interesting development of thread! I was not aware of (abortive) 2010 project, thanks to M. Mike for bringing this up.

For the date window relocation - first I thought since they moved the crown to the left, they didn't do the modification of the movement to relocate the date, but as far as i understand, date wheel is the same, it's only a matter where the date window is cut in the dial? maybe they didn't want soldiers to check the date too often, counting-down days of their service ;-)

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
valter-g,

If you turn a watch with date window upside down, it would be close to being a left-handed conversion, but the date would read upside-down (or "umop-apisdn" if you so wish). Crown position has nothing to do with how the date number looks: date window does: think of the "crown at 2" Komandirskie with date window still at 3 and the numbers are still correct. But relocating the date window from any one spot to another would require a new date wheel giving right-reading numbers.

There was a Raketa model with small round case; the majority of them had date window at 6 o'clock, but a rare variant had it at 12; so I have seen examples of the latter with upside-down date numbers...

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Not to sound like I am hating on Vostok (because I love them, have owned 7 so far) but I seriously hope they improve their quality control. I have bought 4 new Vostoks, 2 have had problems (one DOA). I can't imagine this kind of success rate would go over well with the military.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can somebody please explain to me the practical use of a bezel on which all the dots look identical and there are no numbers?
At least on the last image the 12' dot is larger like normal.

The picture showing two watches in boxes have solar compass bezels fitted; that might give more practicality.

It is interesting to see that a brand new date wheel was devised to allow for the date window to be relocated to the 9 o'clock position. To my mind it's not the best idea as most people would be more familiar to having it at the 3 o'clock position: even though the watch has seen a left-hand-side crown conversion which involves no new parts in its purest form, it would still make more sense to keep it at 3 for the sake of familiarity.
This might have to do with how the dials are manufactured or aligned. While I believe the feet do allow the dial to be rotated 180 degrees, maybe there's something else to it. It's cosmetic, so I don't see it as an issue anyways.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,500 Posts
Here is what I would regard as a very practical numberless bezel:

It works just as easily for counting up as counting down and is easy to read in a wide range of lighting conditions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Vostok-Design has pictures of their line of military watches being supplied as part of the equipment modernization of the Russian Army. It is part of the Ratnik (or warrior) program.

If you check the Vostok-Design website, look for "Military Watches". I'm not able to post the link acc. to Watchuseek.

Both of the watches shown (I couldn't download the pictures for posting) have clean faces plus stems on the left side of the watch at the 9 o'clock position.

I like the looks and would love to have one. Unfortunately, I don't know where to start in obtaining one.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I've actually been wondering if this new mass contract for the army is responsible for Vostok being behind on civilian production. Good news if true, I hope they get a lot of business.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Why does Vostok use Brass for non-electromagnetic properties? Aluminum is more durable and less susceptible to damage. Lets say 7075 Aluminum?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's more pictures of what looks to be one of the prototypes.

Someone on watch.ru also managed to obtain one of the issued models.

Why does Vostok use Brass for non-electromagnetic properties? Aluminum is more durable and less susceptible to damage. Lets say 7075 Aluminum?
Because they already have and use brass?

1 - 20 of 236 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.