WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the AD today and checked out the old versus the new GMT's. The major differences apprear to be the following:
1. Slightly more tapered case on the old GMT;
2. More substantial, thicker and more solid bracelet on the new GMT; and
3. The ceramic bezel on the new.

I like the smaller more tapered case, lighter weight and the look of the old bezel better than on the new. However, the new bracelet is significantly better. It makes the old one feel flimsy by comparison. Plus, the new bezel though a little too "noticeable" is supposed to be more scratch resistant.

Are there other significant differences in the watches? Do people have trouble with the old bracelets? Is it worth the extra $800 plus for the new? Any opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Other differences include the parachrom spring in a 3186 movement (versus the 3185 movement in the old GMT), polished center links on the bracelet, and larger font on the bezel.

Personally, I'm fond of the Pepsi bezel, which is not available in the new GMT. Apparently, they are having trouble with the ceramic molds using two bezel colors. I also didn't care for the new font size and polished center links as they made the watch a little too flashy for me. But, they are both great watches and the new GMT has its technical advantages. In the end, different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I am working on a comparison between my old GMT and my new GMTII-C. I might have it done this weekend (with picts).

Here's the intro.... and the headings for each section.

-Sheldon
--------------------
11670 vs 16710

The three year wait for an all stainless updated Rolex GMT was worth it as this watch has hit the mark on many fronts. After wearing an all stainless DateJust, a Turn-O-Graph (TOG), GMTII-T (traditional), SeaDweller, and Submariner, the GMT-C (Ceramic) has met and surpassed all my expectations. The GMT-C combines the updated bracelet of the TOG, the heaviness of the SeaDweller (SD), the maxi-dial of the Limited Version Sub, the security of a Triplock crown from the SD and Sub, and the comfort of the GMT-T. The additions of the blue Parachrom hairspring, the updated clasp, the ceramic bearings under the bezel, and the ceramic bezel insert puts this watch in the next rung of red-designed Rolexes that will be around for generations.

As compared to my GMTII-T (traditional), the GMT-C is a much different watch. The GMT-C is not a simple facelift, as we have seen with the SeaDweller, and the Limited Version Submariner, but a redesign in many of the technical aspects of the watch that puts this watch in a new generation of Rolex design.

Movement

Weight

Height

Crystal

Crown

Bracelet

Clasp

Maxi Dial

Bezel

Rate / Accuracy

Bling vs. Tool

How it Wears

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
I have had the new GMT for several months now and I really like it. Sheldon mentioned the Maxi- dial but forgot to mention the maxi-hands that the new GMT has. The minute and hour hand as well as the ball on the second hand are larger with more lume than the old model. And even the Submariner LV does not have the larger hour hand and second hand dot.

·
Registered
274 Posts

I am still working on the review. Here is one of the picts. Maybe this weekend I will have the pages ready. Text is done, the picts are done as best as I can...

This is a pict of the clasp and how a spring keeps the clasp engaged. The security clasp does not really hold the clasp together as it does on the traditional clasp, but rather prevents the spring loaded tab from pivoting open. Also, the security clasp is not held onto the clasp with friction, but with a spring bar (red arrows).

-Sheldon

·
Registered
529 Posts
Other differences include the parachrom spring in a 3186 movement (versus the 3285 movement in the old GMT), polished center links on the bracelet, and larger font on the bezel.

Personally, I'm fond of the Pepsi bezel, which is not available in the new GMT. Apparently, they are having trouble with the ceramic molds using two bezel colors. I also didn't care for the new font size and polished center links as they made the watch a little too flashy for me. But, they are both great watches and the new GMT has its technical advantages. In the end, different strokes for different folks.

I am sure it is a typo but the older movement is the 3185, not 3285. :)Also, the original 'maxi-dial' Rolex does not have the larger hour hand either. =) maverick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts