WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pre-owned are my downfall. I often find older models that I like much more than current offerings. And, when I find one at a decent price in good shape, I feel a tremendous pressure to pull the trigger for fear of missing out if it sells. That's particularly true for a couple pieces I've been eyeing from the last decade. I also like for each watch to have a story--a reason behind why I bought it--to celebrate or commemorate something. So I tend to pull the trigger when I see one come available, then set it aside and don't wear it until the commemorative event occurs. Weird? Probably. Anyone else feel the pressure to buy when they see a used piece, no longer in production, that they can't seem to go without?

For new stuff, it's a totally different story. I wait and wait and wait. Often, I'll simply lose interest in the piece before I pull the trigger, or find a discontinued piece that I like better than the newer in-production model. Thankfully, I haven't yet fallen out of love with any of the used stuff I've picked up. Not sure if it's the cache of not being able to pick one up easily or if that's just how I know that's what I really like.

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
For some unknown reason I'm always looking to see what Tudor Prince Date/Tiger chronographs are for sale, even though I already own one. Maybe when it comes back from a service I'll knock it off, but in reality I'll probably find a new muse.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I can relate. When I find a good deal, I feel like I have to buy because I may not find that watch in that condition at that price ever again. I have learned over time though, that I have a tendency to overestimate how hard it will be to find a similar deal in the future. And like you said, sometimes I change my mind before I make the purchase, so I’m trying to learn to be exceedingly slow to buy rather than jumping into anything.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
For me I like the search process and puling the trigger on the buy is kind of the reward. Oddly once it arrives I am thinking about the next one! Call me crazy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm with you re: the pre-owned watches. I usually start "casually" looking for a particular model. Then I start getting sucked in, and when a well-priced, good condition model appears, all of a sudden I'm justifying the purchase because I may not see a better deal later. When in fact, it's very likely that more deals will pop up in the future. So yeah.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have never bought a pre-owned watch, just have this thing in my head about being the only person to have worn the watch. This means I am probably ruling out some great watches and some great value.

But I do share your sense of panic and FOMO when it comes to seeing a new watch with a healthy discount. My wife will tell you I go quiet as the cogs in my head click in and start to work out how this beauty can be financed.

The ultimate worst case scenario and one which I guess you may share is to see "the one" at that once in a lifetime price, and it's a week away from payday. Oh, the misery !!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have never bought a pre-owned watch, just have this thing in my head about being the only person to have worn the watch. This means I am probably ruling out some great watches and some great value.

But I do share your sense of panic and FOMO when it comes to seeing a new watch with a healthy discount. My wife will tell you I go quiet as the cogs in my head click in and start to work out how this beauty can be financed.

The ultimate worst case scenario and one which I guess you may share is to see "the one" at that once in a lifetime price, and it's a week away from payday. Oh, the misery !!
Me neither. There IS something about being the first owner. I've supplied the pre-owned market with many gently used watches over the years. I think I'm done, though. I have my grail watch and all the others (not the sentimental pieces) are clutter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Me neither. There IS something about being the first owner. I've supplied the pre-owned market with many gently used watches over the years. I think I'm done, though. I have my grail watch and all the others (not the sentimental pieces) are clutter.
I get the thing about wanting to be the first to wear a watch. I’m particular about bands. If there is any sign of use on the band whatsoever, I swap it out with something new if it’s not a bracelet. A bracelet, I would clean. The issue for me is when I see an older design that I love more. For example, I want an open heart design. The Zenith synopsis is head and shoulders above anything else out there in terms of what I want and like, but it’s out of production. I’d rather buy a used one of those than a new one that isn’t exactly what I want. Plus, at that p
Level, I need to save some money to make the finances work!

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
I feel that pull, but I have learned to temper it. I purposely wait to make sure it is not just a quick, FOMO buy. If it sells, so be it. There will be more.

If I want it enough to keep seeking it for weeks/months/years, then I know it is real. It is worth my $$ then.

·
Registered
29,680 Posts
Everything LNIB at a good discount, with the exception of steel Rolex, then new at MRSP or not at all.

Reactions: americanbam

·
Registered
182 Posts
I get the thing about wanting to be the first to wear a watch. I’m particular about bands. If there is any sign of use on the band whatsoever, I swap it out with something new if it’s not a bracelet. A bracelet, I would clean. The issue for me is when I see an older design that I love more. For example, I want an open heart design. The Zenith synopsis is head and shoulders above anything else out there in terms of what I want and like, but it’s out of production. I’d rather buy a used one of those than a new one that isn’t exactly what I want. Plus, at that p
Level, I need to save some money to make the finances work!
I totally get that. There are a few pieces that I would love to have. One just went out of production (a few years ago). I'd prefer to find a new one (NOS), but would have a hard time paying retail when there are near mint examples out there for far less.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I can relate. When I find a good deal, I feel like I have to buy because I may not find that watch in that condition at that price ever again. I have learned over time though, that I have a tendency to overestimate how hard it will be to find a similar deal in the future. And like you said, sometimes I change my mind before I make the purchase, so I’m trying to learn to be exceedingly slow to buy rather than jumping into anything.
Did this with a Hamilton Khaki. It was a good price but little did I know about 5,000 are posted a day +/-$15 of what I got it for.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Anyone else feel the pressure to buy when they see a used piece, no longer in production, that they can't seem to go without?
Definitely. I didn't get a Phoibos automatic Ocean Master when they were still being made, much to my regret for a few years. I had the Quartz, but I'm moving to automatics so I can spend less time changing batteries, so I figured I'd make the leap first with the Ocean Master, which I love. Then I decided not to, feeling that I was being too greedy and acquisitive. And then a year after that, I got a serious urge. But they were no longer made!

It took six months before one appeared on eBay, at which point I jumped on it. Then another showed up two months later and I grabbed that as a backup in case I broke or lost the first.

Then a month later a third showed up, which I didn't buy. But I had an emotional drive to get it because.. because... I guess because I spent almost two years wanting one and not being able to get it. I can resist the call, but the search pages in Google and eBay were open as tabs in my browser for so long that the reaction at this point is automatic.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I feel that pull, but I have learned to temper it. I purposely wait to make sure it is not just a quick, FOMO buy. If it sells, so be it. There will be more.
If I want it enough to keep seeking it for weeks/months/years, then I know it is real. It is worth my $$ then.
I couldn't agree more.

·
Premium Member
70,251 Posts
Fortunately my urge to buy is tempered by my ”essentials first” attitude and of late there have been rather a lot of essentials.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I gravitate towards pre owned 90-00s models. They are usually affordable, relative term, and there are so many interesting watches from before the hobby became so hyped. I used to have fomo, but over time I have kicked myself for not buying a watch, only to have a better one surface later. You have to look at the specific watch, how many were made and how popular is it. For me , there are still alot more watches out there than there are collectors, even Rolex. It reminds me of the parable of the two bulls...

An old bull and a young bull were grazing on a hill above a pasture of heifers. The young bull said to the old bull "I'm gonna run down there a **** one of those heifers!" to which the old bull replied "I'm gonna walk down there and **** them all!" - Unknown

·
Premium Member
IWC Porsche Design Titan, IWC Pilot Spitfire, Sinn EZM 10
4,851 Posts
I can relate to seeking out pre-owned watches. Usually it's to save some money from new, but if it's a watch that was discontinued then there's no other choice. What gets me is why I like a used watch today that I didn't consider when it was new. I'm doing that now with the Sinn EZM 1.1, which was sold in limited production of 500 units a few years ago. Back then, I thought, "too much, looks funny." Now I want one, and prices went up a bit.
As for saving to commemorate an event, yeah, that's weird. My parents do this all the time at Costco, the ultimate FOMO retailer: if you see it and want it, get it before it disappears and never comes back. At Christmas, they will unwrap stuff they bought in the Summer months, and pretend it's a lovely surprise. Okay, that's a little different from saving a watch to commemorate an event, but still...weird!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts