WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am somewhat new to watch collecting and I have found I have expensive taster. Currently in my little collection I have the following;

Movado Museum quartz
Seiko Orange Monster second generation
Seiko titanium perpetual calendar quartz
Casio G shock

I bought the Movado as a dress watch and I love it. I am always getting compliments on it. I like the Movado Datron with the white face and also the Seiko Tuna in either quartz or the Emperor Tuna Auto. From a lot of reading I get the sensation that you are better off buying an Automatic I instead of Quartz?

What is the opinion of the Movado Datron?

Billy

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Hi Billy,
welcome to the forum,

are you talking about the vintage Movado Datron with the Zenith El Primero movement?
love that watch, just an awesome watch

not too knowledgeable about the new model, but Movado does make good quality watches, their Museum series is definitely a classic, one of the more recognizable watch out there,

buying automatic or quartz ... bottom line, that really depends on you,
I'm not going to say one is better than the other ... I do have my preference, but it depends on you and what you think is better for you

·
Registered
Unabashed Casio G-Shock fanboy
8,069 Posts
Most folks prefer mechanical watches. Some prefer quartz. I like both. I have a 015 quartz Tuna. Its quartz movement isn't your run-of-the-mill mall quartz. It's a seven jeweled movement designed by Seiko for use in adverse environments. Interesting thread on the Seiko Tuna's movement: https://www.watchuseek.com/f21/what-makes-7c46-superior-movement-439547.html

I also like the Tudor Pelagos a lot, but it has a common ETA movement. There are Grand Seiko's with super accurate quartz movements.

Movements aren't everything. Check out the whole package. If you like the Emperor Tuna, maybe go for the Darth Tuna. I've been told the Darth's a good in-between. It's thinner than the Emperor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was referring to the new Datron series. I understand the old one is a classic but I have no idea where to get one and who to trust.

As far as the Seiko goes. Iwoud prefer the Automatic version. I think its so cool the way autos work. Its funny I love my $250 orange monster and would stack it up to some Swiss brands that cost 8 times more. I'm sure its lacking something that the other watches have but its pretty nice.

I have to think this out as far as which Seiko to get. I can get a regular Tuna (I prefer stainless) and have money left over for something else. Just kinda wanted another automatic.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
You will find the majority of people here prefer automatics but that doesn't mean they are right for everyone. In the end buy what you like whether it is run by a spring or by a battery.

Welcome!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Seiko's quartz line is a no slouch, however I *personally* prefer mechanical auto watches..

There are cases where I dont mind on Quartz watches such as the Tuna, the auto version would cost as much as a Marine Master or a preowned Grand Seiko which I much prefer..

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
There is nothing inherently 'better' about a mechanical watch. In fact, from a purely practical standpoint, they are arguably inferior. That said, the vast share of the world's luxury watches are mechanical watches, and many of the best watchmakers do not manufacture quartz watches. For most mechanical watch owners, the reason to own a mechanical watch is aesthetic - be it the sweeping second hand, the weight, the view of the movement, the lilt of the rotor, and/or the experience of hand winding, etc.

You seem to like Movado. For what it's worth, Movado does make some mechanical watches. I know the have an automatic version of museum dial...

·
Registered
547 Posts
I hardly think that your tastes are that expensive if you like Movado, no offense :p

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts