WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the dial has been repainted, and it looks totally different from the 2914 railmaster. usually they look like this are hand wind and have railmaster engraved on the back. Was there another vintage railmaster other than the 2914? I hope i'm wrong but I think you have been sold a redialed seamaster.

^^^^ Ignore the above ^^^^ I guess I'm adding railmasters to the list of watches I need to become better informed about before venturing an opinion.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I believe this is an example of Omega reusing the Railmaster name on a second watch model. A very similar watch is shown on page 222 of A Journey Through Time. The description states “Omega Automatic Railroad Official Standard, 1963.” It is identified as having a calibre 552 movement and a white lacquered dial. The description states it was developed for North American railroad companies. The watch is not identified as being part of the Seamaster line. It is shown on the same page as various Railmaster models.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
That's very interesting and always a possibility. Can you post a scan or a link of that part, Google seems to be failing me? The others I saw like what you are talking about in another thread you posted in said railroad official standard not railmaster on the dial though they were similar.

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I believe this is an example of Omega reusing the Railmaster name on a second watch model. A very similar watch is shown on page 222 of A Journey Through Time. The description states “Omega Automatic Railroad Official Standard, 1963.” It is identified as having a calibre 552 movement and a white lacquered dial. The description states it was developed for North American railroad companies. The watch is not identified as being part of the Seamaster line. It is shown on the same page as various Railmaster models.
Yes, I also heard this story and I thought it was the "second" incarnation of the Railmaster, I don't remember if the first Railmaster was issued to Railroadmen...was it?

Regarding the movement, the seller says it's a 550...how can I determine which movement it uses? I looked in the net but the 550 and the 552 looks exactly the same to me... :O

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the dial has been repainted, and it looks totally different from the 2914 railmaster. usually they look like this are hand wind and have railmaster engraved on the back. Was there another vintage railmaster other than the 2914? I hope i'm wrong but I think you have been sold a redialed seamaster.
Dude, I think you're wrong!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Regarding the movement, the seller says it's a 550...how can I determine which movement it uses? I looked in the net but the 550 and the 552 looks exactly the same to me... :O
550 is 17 jewels and the 552 is 24. bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Omega 552
they will also be marked on the movement. if you open up the case back you can see the movement and get the case number off the back.

Dude, I think you're wrong!
It appears I am. I'd like to thank both of you for your education.

I've been searching more in depth since I posted and found a couple good threads on another forum about these watches.
http://omega.watchprosite.com/show-forumpost/fi-677/pi-2389826/ti-400226/s-0/
http://omega.watchprosite.com/show-nblog.post/ti-401501/

·
Registered
323 Posts
Google "omega vintage railmaster". The first or second image that comes up will take you to another Omega forum. Search there on "vintage railmaster" and you will find a post on the watch made by internationally known vintage Omega collector Bill Sohne.

I'm not going to post a section of A Journey Through Time. It is copyrighted material.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
It looks cool and honestly I wouldn't of had an idea about its authentication either :D but its pretty amazing how varied Omega designs were through the ages :)

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
If it is legit, it is AWESOME!!! I love the dial, what size is the case?
A little less than 35 mm....pretty small but nice indeed!

I noticed that because it looks a lot like the Perseo Railking of the Italian Railways:

!B-SiEUQ!2k~$(KGrHqIOKp!Ey+jC)vD2BM8Te14rB!~~0_35.JPG

That was the only watch my grandfather, a station master, ever had.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts