WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got this watch for Christmas. When I saw the Stuhrling box I was a little disappointed...
but, when I opened the box my thoughts started to change.:-d

This watch is very well made.
Polished stainless 46 mm case - this is a big watch
Kristerna Crystal :-s I have no idea what that is. Coated mineral probably.
Ronda quartz chronograph movement.
Carbon Fiber Dial
I am very pleased with the fit and finish of this watch I feels good on the wrist. And the quality of the finish is very good.
The movement also feels good (no slop) when the time is set.
So enough of the gab here are some pictures.

face:

Side:

Back:

Strap:

Proverbial wrist shot:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,198 Posts
That's a really nice looking piece. Congrats!

·
Registered
467 Posts
As mentioned before, I just got my Stuhrling Othello Skeleton Automatic in the mail on Friday and I love it. Good weight, good detail, keeps time well, and plenty of reserve power. I hope to take some good pictures and post a review in the next few days if that's OK with everyone here.

The company is HQd in Brooklyn, and I believe is using a Chinese movement for the Automatics, but seems to be good quality. I'm new to this game, so I hope some of you can chime in.

Your example looks great! I really like the face/strap combo. Were you also impressed with the packaging? I was.

Cheers,

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As mentioned before, I just got my Stuhrling Othello Skeleton Automatic in the mail on Friday and I love it. Good weight, good detail, keeps time well, and plenty of reserve power. I hope to take some good pictures and post a review in the next few days if that's OK with everyone here.

The company is HQd in Brooklyn, and I believe is using a Chinese movement for the Automatics, but seems to be good quality. I'm new to this game, so I hope some of you can chime in.

Your example looks great! I really like the face/strap combo. Were you also impressed with the packaging? I was.

Cheers,
This is the second Stuhrling I have purchased. The first was an Auto for my Wife. I found it to be very well made with pretty good accuracy. I do like the packaging. They do much better at presentation boxes than may of the better known watches I own. It is too bad that they have so much hype in their marketing.

·
Premium Member
6,164 Posts
Stuhrling seems to be a decent quality affordable. Definitely not upscale, but decent quality Asian/Swasian pieces.

As with most discount brands, it's often best to buy at steep discounts from the DoD sites.

Hope it gives you years of good service. :)

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Not a big fan of carbon fiber straps, but that dial probably looks great in real life! Photos never do carbon fiber dials any justice in my experience.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Kristerna Crystal :-s I have no idea what that is. Coated mineral probably.

Also, from what I understand, Krysterna is a trademarked type of polycarbonate material. The name Krysterna is specific to Stuhrling. Supposed to have the clarity and hardness of sapphire but at less cost. For those of us with 4-eyes, polycarbonate eyeglass lenses have been around for a dog's age. So the material is not new, but the application is. We'll see how it holds up!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, from what I understand, Krysterna is a trademarked type of polycarbonate material. The name Krysterna is specific to Stuhrling. Supposed to have the clarity and hardness of sapphire but at less cost. For those of us with 4-eyes, polycarbonate eyeglass lenses have been around for a dog's age. So the material is not new, but the application is. We'll see how it holds up!
I did a little research on the Krysterna crystal. The Stuhrling website says a lot about Krysterna without saying anything. The eye glass industry uses both polycarbonate and glass. PC is generally not very scratch resistant, hard coating helps but still I would not want to hit my glasses with a door jam. They would not shatter but they would be seriously scratched... I did find this from an Akribos add:

".... the unique watch face is protected by a crystal made of Krysterna, a shatter-resistant synthetic sapphire...."

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not a big fan of carbon fiber straps, but that dial probably looks great in real life! Photos never do carbon fiber dials any justice in my experience.
I could take or leave the dial but the engraved / polished tach ring on the outside of the watch is stunning in real life.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I did a little research on the Krysterna crystal. The Stuhrling website says a lot about Krysterna without saying anything. The eye glass industry uses both polycarbonate and glass. PC is generally not very scratch resistant, hard coating helps but still I would not want to hit my glasses with a door jam. They would not shatter but they would be seriously scratched... I did find this from an Akribos add:

".... the unique watch face is protected by a crystal made of Krysterna, a shatter-resistant synthetic sapphire...."
Agreed, Krysterna is sort of an enigma, but from reading their description PC is one of the only cost effective materials I would think makes sense. It has very good clarity, little distortion, is hard, and can be coated in other products effectively.

In their description it doesn't really speak to scratch resistance:

Krysterna™ actually has more strength over a spread surface area than sapphire! As a result, this still relatively new synthetic material is more “shatter-resistant” than sapphire!
I could be wrong, but this is my best guess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts