WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's actually from the 80's, but its new to me...a Komandirskie handed down from my wife's grandfather...sorry for no pics right now.....I just reinstalled my operating system, and yet to install the software for photos. There's no strap with the watch, worn away a long time ago...but the watch itself is 40mm, has a goldish-green face, white Arabic numerals..date at three...red star at 12 (very cool). Below the red star is a graphic of a white parachute, with what looks like a couple of small planes at both sides.....below the Komandirskie name (in Cyrillic of course) its denotes the movement has 17 jewels. Red sweep seconds..and a movable outer bezel...the first five, five minute markers are red dots, the next seven are black..its a coin-edged bezel. And the crystal is acrylic...a nice dome.

A couple of questions.....the crown, which has a crown-guard...screws down....I'm assuming that these watches must be wound, am I correct? I unscrewed the crown and think I figured how to that...then the crown sort of popped out, so I could set the time.....I haven't really figured out how to set the date. How normal is that play int he crown? Is that the "warble" people talk about? I'll never go swimming with this watch...but do I need to worry about sink splashes? And lastly...the watch has probably never been serviced...are quality watch repair shops in the U-S up to the task?

thanks!
-Jason

·
Registered
441 Posts
Lovely to have a watch with that history behind, congratulations.

The crown feels strange the first time you handle a Vostok but yours is probably correct. It´s probably an automatic but you can shake it and listen if you hear a distinct sound or perhaps open it at the back, not very hard since even I managed:-D It´s real fun to see a watch from the inside.

Look at the bottom of the dial, if marked "aka3 mo cccp" its made to be an issue military watch and then I´m almost sure it has to be handwound movement.

It´s no problem for a watchmaker to service it but westerners maybe complaining about not doing eastern europe watches and that there are no spare parts - nonsense, find a cheap one on ebay with the same caliber when you´ve found out which one you have, then you have spare parts.

It´s a cheap watch to buy new and servicing isn´t that cheap but if I got it from a relative like you did, I´d sure fix it.

Regards Erik

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi, from across the pond; in reply to your queries...

"the crown, which has a crown-guard...screws down....I'm assuming that these watches must be wound, am I correct? "

If it's the 17 jewel version, then, yes, it's a manual wind. ( Go on, take the back off and have a look...)

"I unscrewed the crown and think I figured how to that...then the crown sort of popped out, so I could set the time.....I haven't really figured out how to set the date."

Wind up to midnight, so that the date changes, then back to 8, roughly, then forward again, so that the date changes. Repeat.

"How normal is that play in the crown? Is that the "warble" people talk about? "

It's a feature! don't worry, you won't break it off.

"I'll never go swimming with this watch...but do I need to worry about sink splashes?"

If the crown is screwed down well and the rubber back seal is in place and intact these are amongst the most waterproof watches you can afford. I have (shallow) dived with the Amphibia Vostok many times, no problem. The Amphibias are marked for 200m!

"And lastly...the watch has probably never been serviced...are quality watch repair shops in the U-S up to the task?"

Don't know about the US - Uk shops are wary of the watches as they can't get bits. Generally there's no need - I have 50 year old Russians that have only ever been cleaned and lightly oiled. In UK I find an older tradesman rather than a formula chain 'we don't touch them' shop.

A nice watch - the snobs will sneer, but what do you want a watch to do? look good and tell the time? Result!
Like to see it!

Regards

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies

I'm still not certain if its a wind-up or auto...I'm too chicken to opent he back and mess around with with innards......I tried winding the crown, which has a really strange action I'm not used to..then I gave it a good martini shake for 30-seconds like my Seiko 007....its been keeping time pretty well for 18 hours now....keeping it in my pocket. I guess I'll find out if its a wind-up when the power reseve runs out...if it keep going, then I'll know its an auto.

-Jason

·
Registered
441 Posts
thanks for the replies

I'm still not certain if its a wind-up or auto...I'm too chicken to opent he back and mess around with with innards......I tried winding the crown, which has a really strange action I'm not used to..then I gave it a good martini shake for 30-seconds like my Seiko 007....its been keeping time pretty well for 18 hours now....keeping it in my pocket. I guess I'll find out if its a wind-up when the power reseve runs out...if it keep going, then I'll know its an auto.

-Jason
Shake it and listen if theres some kind of whiring(not sure about that term) sound. To keep it in the pocket will perhaps move it to little, my grandfather had to buy a quartz because of his moving to little in the later years.

To open it is harmless as far as I´ve experienced.

Regards
Erik

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
another question.....what's the typical power reserve on Komandirskies? Mine seems to die at about 24 hours...is that typical? If not, I'd imagine it needs servicing...but I'm having a tough time finding watchmakers in my area (Seattle) willing to do so, mainly because they don't have accessibility to parts. Guess I may have to buy a parts watch, which may actually be in better shape than the watch handed down to me. Fun project though.

-Jason

1 - 6 of 6 Posts