WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This 'may' be normal, but I recently rode my bike from sea level after a paddle in a rowing boat to my home a short distance away. I zeroed both the altimeter and barometer on my brand new X lander to check the difference. My home is 80 meters above sea level so that reading was correct upon reaching home.

The big question: the absolute pressure for my region (vancouver) is 102.5kpa presently. My watch at sea level was fine reading 1024mbar (which is of course 102.4kpa). However, after only a 20 minute bike ride home and an elevation gain of only 80 meters, my barometer dropped to 1018mbar (or 101.8kpa) and the weather trend indicator now shows arrow down (weather getting worse)...however in Vancouver the regional barometer is steady and continues so.

This normal??

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
This 'may' be normal, but I recently rode my bike from sea level after a paddle in a rowing boat to my home a short distance away. I zeroed both the altimeter and barometer on my brand new X lander to check the difference. My home is 80 meters above sea level so that reading was correct upon reaching home.

The big question: the absolute pressure for my region (vancouver) is 102.5kpa presently. My watch at sea level was fine reading 1024mbar (which is of course 102.4kpa). However, after only a 20 minute bike ride home and an elevation gain of only 80 meters, my barometer dropped to 1018mbar (or 101.8kpa) and the weather trend indicator now shows arrow down (weather getting worse)...however in Vancouver the regional barometer is steady and continues so.

This normal??
Yes.

A gain in altitude will show your absolute pressure going down (and hence the baro trend indicator going down as well). This is par for the course for ABC watches. It also has nothing to do with time (i.e., 20 minutes). As for the trend indicator, you have to use this with some degree of common sense / observation. I.e, if you are in the same altitude for a given period of time, and you see the trend going down (both lines) chances are a low pressure system is moving in. If you are gaining altitude, and it is sunny out, chances are the trend is only reflecting your altitude gain.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts