WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've inherited a couple of pocket watches (and many bits of watches) from my grandfather. There are two that are pretty much complete, one of which works and keeps fairly good time and I'm wondering whether or not it's worth it to have them restored if possible.

I can't find out much about the one that's working but it's a Porte & Markle Ltd WINNIPEG 17 jewel adjusted S/N 4822325 (case A.W.C. Co. S/N 994339)
The face has some cracking and what looks like a poor repair and the glass falls out

The other is an 1899 model Royal grade A.W.W.Co. S/N 14162207 in a Dennison case, although it has no glass the face looks in perfect condition. I'm not sure what's wrong with the movement but the balance wheel is loose and moves around.

Anyway, any tips or comments about this would be most welcome. I know from looking around that they're not really worth much (even if they were in good condition) but it would be nice to have them in decent order.

Cheers, Stonemonkey.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Don't know about the first one. The Royal watch is a nice model. If the balance rocks when you tilt it the balance staff is broken. New can be found or made. With a new crystal and cleaning and staff it may run over $100 Usd.
Bob

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
The Waltham Royal dates from 1904. The other watch I'd like to see a picture of the dial and movement to identify it. Porte & Markle were Winnipeg jewelers so it's a private label watch of some sort. The serial number doesn't correspond to Waltham or Elgin though, and those would have been my first guesses. Too high for Hamilton or Hampden.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Well I'm stumped. It does look like a Waltham movement to me. However it doesn't correspond to the Waltham serial number records. According to that it should be a 7 jewel model when it's clearly a 17 jewel one.
Is it slightly smaller than your Royal watch, or the same size?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's quite a bit smaller but I'm sorry, I can't find anything to measure it with right now but I'll go and have a look. What should I measure, the diameter of the movement where it fits into the case?

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Measuring the size of American pocket watches is pretty tricky. You need to get the diameter of the movement right behind the dial, which is easy if the movement is out of the case, difficult otherwise.
I think you have a 14S movement in the "mystery" watch. I further believe it is a customized Waltham. The normal Waltham movement was 7 jewels in this model but maybe they made some specially ordered 17 jewel pieces for the jeweler in Winnipeg.
Perhaps a watchmaker could tell you more. In any event an interesting watch and thanks for posting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts