WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello folks, I have been reading a lot and thought I might get a better understanding of what kind of watch I would purchase today. I have gotten more confused and want to make the right choice.

Here is the back story. Last month I won a contest at a Major Jewelry store. I got a store credit of $1000.00 and want to use it on a watch. I have never owned a "higher end" watch and wanted to make a sound decision. Problem is I am not sure what would be the best bang for my "free" buck and did not want to make a $1000.00 mistake. I am totally new to the watch game and have found a lot of the stories, reviews and overall "expert" advice on this forum outstanding. But the more I read, the more I am confused. I am reaching out to anyone here to help me make a decision. I had 30 days to make a purchase, and it expires today :roll:. I have been a long time customer of the store and purchased many things for my wife over the last few years, but nothing really for me.

Here is the watch link to the store: Wedding Rings, Watches, Diamonds and more. Jared® the Galleria of Jewelry, 5X the selection of Ordinary Jewelry Stores

There are a lot of watch brands to chose from, and after reading, I know that some are better than others. I have selected a few below that I like and the type of style I am going for, but that is where it ends. They say knowledge is power, but I am clueless.

One last thing, I know there is movement on prices, so should I be looking a little higher and see what the store will do, or set my sites at $1000 and work it that way.

I am thanking anyone that responds in advance. Thank you

Watch Analog watch Photograph Watch accessory Silver

Jared - Movado® Men's Watch Series 800® 2600077

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Product

Jared - Citizen Signature Watch Grand Classic Automatic NB0040-58A

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Jared - Tissot Men’s Watch Couturier T0356271103100

·
Registered
495 Posts
Of all those choices, the citizen is my favorite. Can't go wrong with a great watch like that.

·
Registered
620 Posts
welcome redwng1,
many people here join the forum when they are about to buy their first automatic (non quartz watch). If I was you, I would go down to the store, ask the clerk to show you their automatic, self winding watches in your price range and choose whatever appeals to you visually. I am not a big fan of chronos, I think the subdials make the face of the watch look too busy, but the Citizen above looks nice. Well respected brands for automatic watches in your price range might also include Seiko, Hamilton, Oris and Tissot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
WOW! really appreciate the quick responses. I did have another question that I forgot to ask...I just picked those 3 above because they were not all that busy and would go with just about any outfit I was wearing. If you guys had a better choice other than those 3, what would you pick? Call me materialistic, but I would like to have a watch that when people see it on me, they might think, "he must be doing well to afford a watch like that". I know that sounds extremely shallow, but that is the reaction I would like to obtain.

Well respected brands for automatic watches in your price range might also include Seiko, Hamilton, Oris and Tissot.
When I hear Seiko, I think of cheap, I am sure I am wrong, but I remember when I was a kid, people in High School had Seiko watches...well Swatches too, but I am not trying to show my age.

In all seriousness, I cant thank you guys enough for the help thus far.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Out of the three I would choose Citizen.

Do some research on this forum regarding Seiko watches. It will change your perspective forever. Seiko makes wide range of watches, from affordable to luxury.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
64 Posts
Call me materialistic, but I would like to have a watch that when people see it on me, they might think, "he must be doing well to afford a watch like that".
There's nothing wrong with that per se, but to be honest, 99+% of everyone will have no idea by looking at your watch how much it costs unless it's a Rolex or (possibly) an Omega. Of the people who will recognize your watch , fewer than 25% will care. Go with what a previous poster said and get something that's visually appealing to you. If it looks like a nice watch to you, then it will look nice to others. It looks like Jared carries Hamilton which is typically a great value.

One other bit of advice: unless the free money expires soon don't rush. What looks awesome to you today might look boring or blingy tomorrow. Try several on, maybe take some pictures and then go home and think about it before you pull the trigger (figuratively.)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Call me materialistic, but I would like to have a watch that when people see it on me, they might think, "he must be doing well to afford a watch like that".
You can probably provoke this response with a Rolex (out of your price range), or a homage thereof (within your price range). Chances are still that 99.9% of people don't care.
It is much more rewarding to chose a watch you like, independent of what other people think. Trust me.
I think you have a pretty good idea of what you want:

-automatic movement
-white dial
-between 900 and 1200 $

Given your tight schedule, I would head down to the shop, try some watches on, go for a walk, come back and buy whatever you like best.

·
Premium Member
38,791 Posts
One other bit of advice: unless the free money expires soon don't rush. What looks awesome to you today might look boring or blingy tomorrow. Try several on, maybe take some pictures and then go home and think about it before you pull the trigger (figuratively.)
+1 Good advice. Research, shop, road test, and make your decision when ready, (unless you have a time crunch). So many decent watches to choose from at that price level, it will make your head explode trying to take them all in......

My buddy has the Citizen you are looking at, and it is very nice and clean for the price. It wears very classy on the wrist, and the hands and dial are very crisp.
It also looks great with jeans as well. Citizen makes some pretty bullet-proof pieces, so it would be a good choice. He gets lots of compliments on it and most think it is something higher end when looking at it. It gets some very good revues from members here, so it would be a good choice.

In the link you provided, also check out the Citizen Signature series, a step above in quality for the brand but some of their models have busy dials. Raymond Weil is another on that site to look at. They have really good build quality and some of the nicest bracelets out there for their price range. Maybe a Tag if on sale, is a consideration as well? Otherwise, I would stick to what you are already considering given the other options on the site.

As a side note- A lot of people think of Seiko in the Timex, etc, category, but some of their upper lines are very nice. I had a Grand Seiko, spring drive, and it was an outstanding quality watch and more accurate than my Rolex Daytona. They make a bunch of entry level stuff as well, but if you look around (this forum's search engine is great), you can find some great quality Seiko watches. Their SARB line is a great value for the money if you like uncluttered dials, and a dressy appearance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hamilton Khaki king (Classic time piece) with the steel bracelet or the Hamilton Ventura XLS (Extremely eye catching and unique). Outside of those two go for the Tissot. I dont know what movement is in it though. When in doubt, buy what you like :)

·
Premium Member
7,012 Posts
Whoops. Wrong post. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts