WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I am an amateur watch enthusiast looking for my first luxury watch. I have been shopping around and spotted two very nice watches. Actually this is going to be an engagement gift from my girlfriend :)

Longines L2.6664.78.3
index.jpg

Baume et Mercier Classima 8688
8688_front.JPG

We are more inclined to the B&M but I would like to have an honest opinion from an expert :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Hi mate,

Firstly, congrats on the engagement!

As for which (of the two), I prefer the Longines. I'm not a huge fan of 'open heart' dials -especially on such an otherwise dressy watch as that B&M. If it was a non open heart, there are quite a few B&M's that I quite like. Their Clifton line in particular is very much worth a look. I'm not familiar with either brands specific price points so that's up to you. I'd also suggest Frederique Constant which has pieces that occupy the look that these two have.

Good luck!

Reactions: hanzo

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! how do you place Frederique Constant with respect to B&M and Longines ? these three brands seem to fit the budget. Everyone told me that the B&M is more of a "high end" watch then the longines so im getting some mixed opinions now!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I love power reserve indicators. Also the open heart on the baume just doesnt do it for me. It doesnt seem as interesting as many other open heart models.

But whats your budget? maybe we can make a few suggestions?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Thanks guys! how do you place Frederique Constant with respect to B&M and Longines ? these three brands seem to fit the budget. Everyone told me that the B&M is more of a "high end" watch then the longines so im getting some mixed opinions now!
Agree, if you've got a budget let us know and we can make some suggestions. I may be wrong but all three brands seem to fulfil a similar market segment at their crux - so they're comparable. Aesthetically, I prefer FC and some of Longines, but B&M are not lacking in looks.

·
Registered
838 Posts
If you like that Longines GMT, then see if you can find one and try it on. Its nice, interesting, and with a complication that is well integrated into the dressy nature of the piece. You could just about wear that with anything!

·
Premium Member
66,449 Posts
Sam, if you bought any of those brands no one on WUS would say that you shouldn't have bought it (I don't think so anyway) If I were to choose though I would go for the Longines.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Definitely the Longines for me because of aesthetics (simply like the dial better), my own experience as a former Longines owner, and the Longines pedigree.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I also like the Longines better.

But wait! With that budget, why not get something a little more special:

Congratulations on your engagement, buying a nice watch is a great way to celebrate.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Maybe im odd but in my opinion for an engagement watch you should get something uniquenor dressy. Something you cannot wear everyday. I think the daily wearers do tend to get roughed up more. And youd probably never want to ruin your engagement watch

·
Registered
7,732 Posts

Just playing.

out of the 2 Longines

·
Premium Member
7,358 Posts
The Longines is a nicely integrated design--the blued hands go with the style of the numerals and guilloche. The Baume et Mercier is a mix of styles--pre-war Roman numerals with 60's baton markers with ancient hands. The open heart just sends it over the top.

I don't mind watches with a mix of styles, but they have to be integrated better than the B&M.

Rick "not usually a fan of open heart dials" Denney

1 - 20 of 34 Posts