WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like Dracha's Breitling post in another thread, and it inspired me to say a few words about why I like Breitling. Although I'm new to Breitling, I've owned or handled about every WIS brand out there, and some in depth. Why I like Breitlings:

So far I have a Super Avenger, a Navitimer Heritage, and two Bentleys, and here are my impressions so far.

==More people have commented on my watches while I wear Breitling than any other brand I've ever owned - even in this short time. And I've owned about every major brand other than AP and PP. I'd be way dishonest to say that I don't get a kick out of someone liking my watch!

==My Breitlings have been pretty accurate so far, at least as good as any other brand in general, and better than many, regardless of price-point.

==Breitling makes large watches, and I'm often in the mood for big.

==And not just big inert hockey pucks that look hideous or ice-only or that you have to baby. But tough, working watches. E.g., a good cross between big and classy is the Bentley. A good cross between big, tough, and useful in all kinds of conditions is the Super Avenger. A good cross between big and unique is the Emergency.

==The Navitimer is a visual, historical and horological icon, like Submariners or Moonwatches.

==The bracelets are very comfortable and well-machined. There are watch bracelets out there which are heavier, more solid and substantial *looking* - BUT they pull hair, or they have sharp edges and corners which dig into the wrist, or their stiffness causes the clasps or pins come loose.

==The machining of the case, the polish, the angles, the edges, the printing on the dials and slide rules is all very precise and good. AFAIK it meets or exceeds other brands even above the same price-point.

==I hear from ADs and other owners that Breitling as a company is easy and supportive to work with. I know about AD-speak of course, but this is not the kind of thing that they make up or wantonly throw into a conversation. BS from ADs is usually is about other stuff.

==Resale is a factor for me, not a huge factor, but it does get a few points in my WISly calculations. And Breitling is fine in this respect.

==I never knew that Breitlings were used and embraced by pilots. Sure, I knew (and liked) the Breitling marketing image, but didn't know whether to trust it. After all, look at what Luminox says about the Navy Seals, and I hear that Navy Seals laugh at Luminox and tend to prefer G-Shocks.

==I was pleased to read on navitimer.net that during the Vietnam war (about when I was in the Army), pilots would purchase Navitimers. To me personally, this means a lot even though I was a ground-pounder!

==Speaking of the marketing image, I do like it a lot. I like the Breitling typeface, the ueber-masculine tones of the website, the yellow+black color schemes, the store displays, etc. I was in a Breitling boutique in Tokyo one day, and they even had Breitling designs on the classic USAF MA-1-style flight jackets (not for sale, unfortunately!).

==Last but not least, the folks on the forum are friendly, enthusiastic and supportive, and many seem to like aviation, military, autos, and other similar stuff that I like. The people-aspect is a large factor for me.

That's about it for now -- I'm learning lots from folks here!

--Greg

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to add

Forgot to add - I'm pleased with the lume, especially on the SA and the Navitimer. I'm a lume snob, I use my watch at night, wear it 24/7 except in the gym or shower, and Breitling measures up very well!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
yeah.. what he said ! :-!

-Rene

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good on ya Greg, well said. Anyone else want to step up to the plate?
I will gladly step to the plate......

I have three Breitlings, a Superocean, CA, and Blackbird. Watches have always been my hobby. Whether reading about them here, going and looking at them or simply noticing them on other people. The watches that I own are a big sense of pride for me due to many reasons. First of all, they are my luxury. I do ok for a 27 year old, and I save for them. They are large purchases for me that usually accompany a big event in my life, a present to myself. My second reason for my infatuation is the the detail and pure amazing aspect of their accuracy and artistic quality. Sure I could have bought other watches, but I am not afraid to wear my Breitlings (one at a time of course) every day. I am constantly amazed at their durability, class, and presence. I did not buy my watches as a status symbol, or to show others how much I have on my wrist. I bought them for the only real reason someone should buy a watch - for me to appreciate. Well I will quietly get off my soap box and enjoy my watches. Just remember the next time someone wants to tell you why their watch is better than yours or better than a Breitling - Who cares. Its your watch, you bought you enjoy it. And if they dont, or they need to have "better" watch them yours, then maybe they dont really appreciate what they have on their wrist. One last note, the guys on this forum are honest, genuine watch nuts. They know more, care more, and share more than any other group I have ever been a part of. They also have invested many many paychecks into their collection, and NEVER toss around what they paid for a watch.

Just my two cents -

·
Registered
980 Posts
my name is Mikko and I am a watchaholic ;-)

i love swiss watches though i did start out with my dad's Seiko long time ago ... after that Seiko, i went on to swiss watch brands starting with Tudors ... i own a lot of brands now from Tudors (mini-Subs, for collecting and home use only), Rolex, Omegas, even the Technomarine. i buy watches bec i love them to wear and appreciate and cater to my watch addiction. am not into showing off my watches coz i wouldn't care if the other guys thinks it's a nice original watch or fake, that's his problem. i know my watches are originals and i worked my ass off to pay for these.

but the toughest and the most durable with lotsa wristtime are my Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish Auto Black dial (for my everyday and water/diving activities. the SOs are by far one of my toughest, most solid and heavy dive watch i have ever owned. The dial is easy to read, lume is great, bezel solidly turns no accidental rotation once set - i wouldn't want to find myself without air before i decomp. the steel bracelet is solid and you wont lose your watch in the depths in case it comes off. i used to love rubber straps (for water resistance and lightness vs steel but since i lost my Zodiac when the rubber tore, i switch to steel, wouldn't want to lose my precious SO

my everyday and travelling watch is my Breitling Chronometer B-1 Black dial, sure it ain't automatic but all the info i need is there and the index, arabic and hour hands in lume are one of the best so far. When i do my travelling, i strap this on, day and night, the B-1 is great. I changed to Breitling cowhide black leather and i can wear this during office meetings and formal function without appearing that am out on some adventure. the WR is just 50m but i switch to the SO when water comes into play.

and best of all, like you guys noticed, my Breitling's get complimented all the time more than my other brands, i guess it's the exclusivity. Most guys go for the nouve riche image or the most popular brand and showing off their watch. But Breitlings are in a class of their own, exclusive, secured, functional, solid quality and accuracy and will never let you down.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I will gladly step to the plate......

I did not buy my watches as a status symbol, or to show others how much I have on my wrist. I bought them for the only real reason someone should buy a watch - for me to appreciate.

One last note, the guys on this forum are honest, genuine watch nuts. They know more, care more, and share more than any other group I have ever been a part of. They also have invested many many paychecks into their collection, and NEVER toss around what they paid for a watch.

Just my two cents -

Very well said.

·
Registered
944 Posts
BRAVO!!!
I feel the same way about my (watch)Addiction! Its not about how much it cost or about status.It is an apperciation of the workmanship,dedication,time,and love that is put into designing a mechanical device for telling time! So many people dont understand why i have so many watches,or why i would pay so much for them? But i have always loved to know how things worked,and mechanical movments in watches are a marvel of human invention that i could never get past!

Sorry i cant finish my story or ramble on anymore, i thimk my laptop is about to crap out,(damn electronics) Not reliable like my Breitling!!!

Take care and thanks for your comments (i found myself wanting too applaude)
Rich

1 - 9 of 9 Posts